• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BOY/GWRL - Remembering color locations for beginner CN

stwert

I'm trying to start doing CN since I'm hovering around 1-min and figured it's best to dive into it now rather than later.
I'm a pretty slow turner, but I already know 2-look OLL and most of PLL. I don't have a lot of practice time, or solves per day, so I wanted to figure out a way I could consistently remember the color locations regardless of what's in front and down (or top).
I call it BOY and GWRL, so it's easy to remember (the L is only relevant for the mnemonic).
Two opposite corners are Blue, Orange, Yellow (clockwise around the cubie) and Green, White, Red (clockwise again). No matter what color is in front and bottom, one of these two corners will be on the front face, and I can deduce which color is on all the sides without looking.

For example, I can close my eyes and think about green front and yellow bottom. I know white is opposite yellow (I know opposites without thinking, at least), so the GWR is on the UFR and so red is on the right, orange on the left, and blue on the back.

I just came up with it, so I don't know if it'll realistically help me with F2L and solving efficient cross relative to each other, but it can't hurt to try out a new idea. And the more familiar I get with it, it'll start to become second nature. I just need a good foothold to start.

Maybe someone has already come up with this, but I thought I'd share anyway.

stwert

You shouldn't have to remember where all of the colors are. It should come intuitively with practice. Forcing yourself to memorize the order seems like a bad idea.
Yeah, maybe. You're probably right, I haven't really followed through with it to see if it helps. On the other hand, that's a bit like saying you shouldn't have to remember algorithms; it should be muscle memory. First comes one, then comes the other. It's like so many things that require conscious thought and then become second nature.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, maybe. You're probably right, I haven't really followed through with it to see if it helps. On the other hand, that's a bit like saying you shouldn't have to remember algorithms; it should be muscle memory. First comes one, then comes the other. It's like so many things that require conscious thought and then become second nature.
Algorithms are moves that help solve the cube. Color neutrality, on the other hand, is a different way of viewing the cube. You shouldn't have an algorithmic approach to it. If you do so, you might develop a habit of trying to remember "what color goes after this?" rather than just straight up solving the cube. Once you master color neutrality, you barely even notice or remember what color cross you solve on, it just all feels the same. Whereas if you try to memorize the orders you might still favor white/yellow/whatever color you actually can solve without trying to recall the order.

stwert

So maybe this mnemonic isn't great for CN. But I can tell you that it worked great for me when reassembling my core. I didn't have to check pieces, compare with a picture, or look anything up. I just screwed them in correctly first try because I remembered BOY, GWRL.