• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

"Boy arrested after pointing loaded gun in Hastings Middle School"

Googlrr

WCA
2010CARM01
We had a 3 hour bomb thread like 5 years ago. While we were in lockdown, the teacher made us take paper and pencils to the corner of the room and continued to teach algebra. >.>

Zarxrax

I've never been in any sort of dangerous situation involving a gun or anything before. But, when I was in 5th grade, my dad got into a fight with a much bigger guy at a restaurant. The other guy started it though.

A lot of people like to try to argue that America is a dangerous place because we have guns, and some like to argue that guns are what keep us safe. I think the existence of guns is largely irrelevant (though I support them 100%, because our constitution says we should have them). If you want to kill someone, you are going to do it, gun or no gun. Crime is mostly caused by other factors than the existence of guns. If you live in a nice neighborhood, you probably aren't going to see much going down. But if you live in the ghetto in gang territory, maybe you will hear gunshots all the time.

Crime statistics are interesting. The US only has 4x the murder rate of "civilized" countries like the UK and Australia, but some people would have you believe you can't walk down the street in the US without being shot at.
But the UK has a higher general crime rate than the US, and also more robberies. And Australia has more than twice as many rapes as the US. Also, Canada has quite a few guns, but their murder rate is roughly on par with UK and Australia. Also, all 4 countries are roughly the same when it comes to rate of assaults.

http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/cri-crime

Zarxrax

I think the existence of guns is largely irrelevant (though I support them 100%, because our constitution says we should have them)

You make a lot of very good points, but can I ask why you seem to unquestioningly support the constitution?

Although its pretty much worthless today, and no one in power respects it anyway, I like it in theory. If you want to get rid of guns, then change the constitution, don't pretend it just doesn't exist.
If our government doesn't respect it's own laws, why should the people?

Edmund

WCA
2008ROTH03
I think the existence of guns is largely irrelevant (though I support them 100%, because our constitution says we should have them)

You make a lot of very good points, but can I ask why you seem to unquestioningly support the constitution?

It's what our founding fathers wanted our country to follow but times have changed so new amendments make sense. But I think banning guns would just make it so guns are only owned by cops and criminals. I believe you have a right to defending yourself and the people around and a gun is a good way to defend for yourself. But I think background checks should be done more thoroughly and their should be more of a crackdown on illegal possession of fire arms.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Although its pretty much worthless today, and no one in power respects it anyway, I like it in theory. If you want to get rid of guns, then change the constitution, don't pretend it just doesn't exist.
If our government doesn't respect it's own laws, why should the people?

That's a very good answer :)
It frustrates me when I see people revere x document just because it's revered.

aussietin

yeah, in secind grade our school had a bomb threat and we all had to leave the building, every year after we have had a bombthreat drill. then in sixth grade we werent allowed to go outside beacause it was muddy, it had rained tHAT MORNING, it had all dried up. my teacher thought we were old enough so he told us no body could go in or out of the building because a guy said he would shoot anybody that tried. this was in the middle of nowhere too.