• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Appreciating Contributors to Cubing

Jungleterrain

Cubing has come a long way, wouldn't you say? And I don't mean specifically speedcubing, but all aspects of the craft.

I wanted to make this thread for the community to acknowledge all the fascinating contributions made by individuals throughout cubing since its beginnings.

My personal interest in all this is to also get a feel of the different notable people around on the forums. You sometimes scroll through comments, and reply to random strangers (while seeing their amazing number of posts which indicate some sort of seniority) without knowing that the person you just replied to is like, a World Record holder, or the creator of a speedcubing method, or something crazy cool like that! Also, I've been inactive for the last 2 years on this site...

Who do you think should be acknowledged? To who should we give props to? Who do you think has contributed a lot to cubing and why? Heck! Nominate yourself if you feel important!

Some examples:
-Notable cubers for pushing the limits of speedsolving
-Creators or major contributors to methods of solving
-Individuals who have used their skills to create timers, websites, etc. for cubing
-Cube manufacturers (like a company or cube designer that has revolutionized cube design)
-Notable administrators of the speedsolving forums
-Stefan Pochmann
-Speedsolving resources, like online cube shops, stickers,
-Those who have popularized cubing in the world through Youtube and the like
-Others!

Science has Newton, Tesla, Edison, Einstein...
Cubing has who? (Besides Erno Rubik)

Last edited:

brian724080

Jessica Fridrich? Popularized and documented the CFOP method.
This should be in general puzzle discussion IMO, not off-topic.

Edit: I appreciate ZZ more

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Let's see.. Feliks has pushed the limits in almost every cubic event, Dayan created the base design for what basically all modern 3x3s are based on, Gilles Roux for creating an awesome method, Chris Olson for being a nub.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some examples:
-Notable cubers for pushing the limits of speedsolving
-Creators or major contributors to methods of solving
-Individuals who have used their skills to create timers, websites, etc. for cubing
-Cube manufacturers (like a company or cube designer that has revolutionized cube design)
-Notable administrators of the speedsolving forums
-Stefan Pochmann
-Speedsolving resources, like online cube shops, stickers,
-Those who have popularized cubing in the world through Youtube and the like
-Others!

I assume I got listed by myself cause I don't fit any of the categories :(

Thompson

WCA
2008CLAR01
I would like to appreciate Harris Chan for being a pioneer of Canadian cubing. He's not quite an OG (original gangster) like Matt Walter or Dave Campbell, but he's definitely in the first generation of modern Canadian cubers. He has won every single Canadian Open, including his first competition ever at Canadian Open 2007. At that competition he also set the NAR for 3x3 average, and even though he never set the world record or became world champion, he will always be a champion in my heart.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
Brest. Cmowla. Robert Yau. Erik Akkersdijk. The obvious ones like Jessica Fridrich, Gilles Roux, Ron van Bruchem, Lars Petrus, Zbignew Zborowski. Hmm... Stefan Pochmann... Kir... And of course, Lucan Garron. Hmm... Michael Gottlieb.