• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Any easy way to orient 8-10 edges (EOLine) in ZZ method?

Hello guys.....I am new to speedsolving.com and (not so) new in speedcubing. Currently I am learning ZZ method and I have serious problems to orient 8 or 10 wrong edges.........I mean ........ I cannot track all the edges. Can anyone help me with a video or any text tutorial?

Note: I have watched all ZZ videos on Youtube (in english) including asmallkittens....so don't link me those videos and I have also read conrad rider's website.
just give me tips to orient 8-10 edges

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
If you have 8 edges you could try to gather all of them on the F and B faces and then do F'B/F'B/FB'/F'B'.

If you have 10... Change your front color :p

Chenkar

Not a ZZ user, but what about tracking the 4/2 good edges instead? :)
This works well for me. Just not put those edges on f/d. I usually only use for 10 edge cases.
If you have 8 edges you could try to gather all of them on the F and B faces and then do F'B/F'B/FB'/F'B'.

If you have 10... Change your front color [emoji14]
For 8 edges I just mentally solve half and 'see' where the others will be

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not a ZZ user, but what about tracking the 4/2 good edges instead? :)
This is what I do most. I do it how guysensei describes it, but look at it in this way. I try to move the two/four oriented edges to the S slice, and then to F+B'. This is the same as moving eight misoriented edges to the front/back faces.
If you have 10... Change your front color :p
This is also important. Learn to be y-neutral. Other neutralities aren't useful as they don't change edges' orientations. Choose two possible colours for F (e.g. red and blue) and one colour for U (e.g. yellow), and learn to use both of these orientations.
For 8 edges I just mentally solve half and 'see' where the others will be
This is ok sometimes, if you can easily see how to do the first four (like 1-2 moves). If it isn't easy, I'll just do the first method of getting all four oriented edges to the S slice.

Chenkar

This is what I do most. I do it how guysensei describes it, but look at it in this way. I try to move the two/four oriented edges to the S slice, and then to F+B'. This is the same as moving eight misoriented edges to the front/back faces.

This is also important. Learn to be y-neutral. Other neutralities aren't useful as they don't change edges' orientations. Choose two possible colours for F (e.g. red and blue) and one colour for U (e.g. yellow), and learn to use both of these orientations.

This is ok sometimes, if you can easily see how to do the first four (like 1-2 moves). If it isn't easy, I'll just do the first method of getting all four oriented edges to the S slice.
Grrr my phone messed up my first timed solve of 2015 because of your post lol... but i see what you mean... i'll try it after this solve.

Wow 22.40 TFM solve with none of the ideas we thought of a while back!

Last edited:

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
For 10 edges, you can always fix 4 of them with usually 1, sometimes 2 moves, leaving a 6 flip case. It's really easy to figure out what the 6 edge case will be during inspection, because you just need to see where the two good edges will land up (most of the time, they don't even move).

8 edges is also easy. I just do 4+4 like everyone above has already said.