• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Antislice move notation

Hazel

Premium Member
I don't think there is any notation specific to antislice moves like (R L), (U D), etc, so I decided to make my own with the use of lowercase slice turns. Here's how it works:

m = (L R)
m' = (L' R')
e = (D U)
e' = (D' U')
s = (F B)
s' = (F' B')

Then there's also double moves like this:

m2 = (L2 R2)
e2 = (U2 D2)
s2 = (F2 B2)

So for example, the algorithm "e' F m2 S2" would be the same as "D' U' F L2 R2 F2 B2 z2".

SenorJuan

If you could give us a few more demonstrations of the use of these moves it would help. I have to confess your example alg just gave me a messed up cube.
I had contemplated (many years ago..) inventing my own notation for these combined moves. But I only used them in a couple of situations, so never bothered, just using brackets instead. Example:
(LR) U2 (L'R')
a symmetric alg that solves a particular CFOP F2L case.
...I also experimented with executing it as : (r'R') F2 (rR), which would look ugly in 'antislice notation'.

It's also the basis of one of the X-perm algs:
(LR) U2 (L'R') y (L'R') U2 (LR)
which I do use for OH ( sort of ... I do a z rotation and solve it on the U,R,D faces, this is how Antoine Cantin does it, I recall)

Last edited:

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you could give us a few more demonstrations of the use of these moves it would help. I have to confess your example alg just gave me a messed up cube.
I think that's what it's supposed to do.
It's just an example of what "anti-slice" notation looks like.

I think it's a neat idea, but I doubt that it'll catch on. Not much stuff like this does.
Also I'm not sure how practical it is. Sure I use ZZ so I'm anti-slicing for my entire F2L but I usually can't even remember which way M or M' goes so I'll stick to standard notation.

Last edited:

SenorJuan

The M / M' issue bugs me, too. When I started cubing in 1980, the 'crib sheets' circulating used M = (rR') , so that's what I've always used, and still do. But somehow, everyone else now seems to be the opposite to me, and I have to be very careful when posting any algs on here.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Many top BLDers, who use a lot of antislice moves for 3-style corners, tend to write them without spaces in their alg sheets.

Random example from Ishaan's alg sheet: [UD R UD: [D' , R' U' R]]

To be honest, if any convention is to catch on, it will probably be to remove the space in this fashion. It's really hard to get new notation to catch on unless it's braindead simple.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There already exists a notation, albeit from before this website existed: suffix "a".
Source: http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/Mike/notation.html

Examples:
Ua = U D
Ra = R L
Fa = F B

This gives us half-turns as well:
Ua2 = Da2 = U2 D2
Ra2 = La2 = R2 L2
Fa2 = Ba2 = F2 B2
where the preferred notation is Ua2, Ra2, and Fa2 unless contextually appropriate to do otherwise.