• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

An amazing expansion for the petrus method based off of ejf2l

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So here's the process:

1.) Solve any 3 adjacent edges to form a 2x2x2 block while ignoring a missing a corner. Be aware of "bad corners" during this process.
-A bad corner is one that rests in the same layer as the corner that belongs within the 2x2x2 block. If there is white in your 2x2, then the corner sandwiched by the edges must not contain white. The same rule applys if you have yellow in the block.

2.) Solve f2l ignoring the corner

3.) Rotate so that the block with the missing corner is on FDR, and move the missing corner over the slot.

4.) Perform full CLS.

5.) PLL

Credit goes to Fanwuq. What do the people think? As far as I can see it would allow for an incredibly short 2x2 block. Perhaps 3 moves? That gives incredible ease with 2x2x3 expansion.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This would require the knowledge of a little over 100 algorithms if I'm correct (CLS + PLL). It sounds interesting, I might try it if I ever learn full CLS. I assume EO is done just like normal Petrus F2L.

ErikJ

WCA
2007JOHN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah I've thought of this before I told anyone about EJF2L. I'm just too lazy to learn full CLS and I get confused seeing 3 corners during step 4.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My first tries at the Edges-Only 2x2 (move count):

4, 6, 5, 4, 5, 5, 6.

So, averaging around 5, I guess. But that's just me, I'm sure better Petrus users can do better.

ErikJ

WCA
2007JOHN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
three movers should be easy but I'm not really sure. 37.5% of the time you'll have a bad corner which would be more moves to deal with. I would use this for expanding. placing only 2 edges next to a 2x2x2 is super fast.

Last edited:

MistArts

Interesting... I'll try a few solves...

B' D' B D2 B2 U F' L' U B' L' D R D2 L' U' L' D L2 U' R B2 D' R B

3 Edges: U' R' F R' D (5)
2x2x3 -1C: U' F' U F' R' F' R2 (12)
EO: R' F2 R2 U' R' (18)
F2L -1C: U y' R' U R' U R U2 R2 U' R' U' R U R' (31)
CLS: y' R U' R' U R U' R' U2 R U2' R' (42)
PLL: F' U' F R2 Uw R' U R U' R Uw' R2 U' (55)

F' D' L D' R2 F' U2 L B2 D2 L' F' L' U L B D R' U' B' U2 L' F' D L2

3 Edges: D2 B2 L2 D (4)
2x2x3 -1C: U2 F2 U' F R' (9)
EO: R U' R' (12)
F2L -1C: y' R U2 R' U' R U2 R' U R2 U R' U' R U R' (27)
CLS: y' U2 R U' R' U R U' R' U2 R U2' R' (39)
PLL: U Rw U' Rw D2 L' U L D2 Rw2 (49)

Not bad. I suck using Petrus though.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well fanwuq just explained to me what is new about his idea. Being completely color neutral get's rid of bad corners. If you look at what corner you have, and where it belongs, simply put that location in the U layer, and expand to directions common with D.

"If you build 2x2x2 at FDL, and enclosed corner belongs to RDF, it's not a bad corner if you just do a z' and use what is on your L face as your D face. ;) try it."

Here's a link to the video so you can see the discussion in the comments.

Last edited:

Johannes91

Solving three edges around a corner takes 4.6169 moves on average.
Solving normal Petrus S1 takes 6.0338 moves on average.

Both without color neutrality. Color neutral S1 is about 4.870 moves on average, not sure about just the three edges.

This seems kinda hacky and to complicate things too much for the 1-2 moves it would save in S1.