• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Am I dumb, or was the 360 actually rather tricky?

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a Rubik's 360 the other day. I eventually solved it, but had some trouble solving it. It seems as though luck is one of the biggest factors. That, or I'm just rather slow.

After I got 3 or 4 balls in, I got pretty bored of it, but wanted to finish it just because I couldn't leave it like that. Now that it's solved, I have no plans on "Scrambling" it again.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know I am not the average solver, but my best estimate is that everyone could solve it in 30 - 60 min for the first time.

Luck can be minimized by selecting the ball you want, to me it is a dexterity puzzle where you must balance the puzzle to align the holes. Just as no one can stand on a skate board the first time, you must practice the moves to balance the sphere

It will take a lot of practice to solve it in 1 min, it still takes me 5 to 10 min to solve

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I might make a tutorial about the 360, I have almost sub 1 times with it now. I can see how it would be tricky and boring if you haven't really got a method... but once you know what you're doing and really understand the puzzle then I think it's quite fun. I played with it non-stop when I got it and although I'd say I was quite good at it now, there are still moments when it doesn't do exactly what I want it to. Maybe I haven't sussed it out at all!

(X)

WCA
2009GLOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have not tried this puzzle but if I understand it right you start with all thesmall balls in the middle and then you tries to get them through several spheres to their goal in the outer sphere. Now, what I don't understand is how you scramble this puzzle. Do you have to solve it backwards, or is there another way?

coolmission

WCA
2009SPAN01
I know I am not the average solver, but my best estimate is that everyone could solve it in 30 - 60 min for the first time.

Luck can be minimized by selecting the ball you want, to me it is a dexterity puzzle where you must balance the puzzle to align the holes. Just as no one can stand on a skate board the first time, you must practice the moves to balance the sphere

It will take a lot of practice to solve it in 1 min, it still takes me 5 to 10 min to solve

I average around 5 minute as well. I haven't touched mine in 2 months though. For some reason, the first 5 balls are actually pretty easy for me now, but the last one is still tricky. There is also a 50% chance for me that a ball lands in the wrong lane (we call it 'parity' ;)).

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a few very simple moves that can be executed to ensure that you get the ball where you want when you want. The most complicated part when you are quite quick with the puzzle is sometimes actually getting the ball to drop into it's designated "pocket" as it occasionally will rest further into the outer sphere than usual.