• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

regulation 4b3e is dumb

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
A delegate who doesn't use a properly generated scramble would be removed from their delegate position, and any solves that were affected by it would be disqualified and made unofficial.

What this rule DOES do, though, is to allow for the extremely unlikely event that the official TNoodle scrambler might generate a 2-move scramble someday, leading to perhaps having a 7x7x7 single WR that is faster than the 2x2x2 single WR. :) But the odds of this happening are astronomically low.

NigelTheCuber

WCA
2022PHAN03
A delegate who doesn't use a properly generated scramble would be removed from their delegate position, and any solves that were affected by it would be disqualified and made unofficial.

What this rule DOES do, though, is to allow for the extremely unlikely event that the official TNoodle scrambler might generate a 2-move scramble someday, leading to perhaps having a 7x7x7 single WR that is faster than the 2x2x2 single WR. :) But the odds of this happening are astronomically low.
Yes and I agree with the title of this thread

Like why 2 moves??? That is just stupidly low to say the least
If it was like 10 moves it would be reasonable because you can't really reverse it but 2?????

@wca change it NOW

Jorian Meeuse

WCA
2022MEEU02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

If it was like 10 moves it would be reasonable because you can't really reverse it but 2?????

@wca change it NOW
In terms of probability 10 or 2 moves barely makes a difference

Cuber987

@wca change it NOW
I'm pretty sure the reason for that is how long it would take a computer to check for a solution within more than two moves on cubes such as 5x5-7x7 and megaminx.

espeed

I'm pretty sure the reason for that is how long it would take a computer to check for a solution within more than two moves on cubes such as 5x5-7x7 and megaminx.
Makes me wonder if there is a way to determine the existence of a solution less then 10 (or x) moves without computing the actual solution.

FenTheGoat

YouTube
Visit Channel
The regulation should be modified and a minimum moves for big cubes and mega should be stated and followed.
Yeah, but there’s 2x10^160 possible 7x7 combos. There’s only a few hundred 2-movers possible. Let’s say a max of 1,000 (and that’s be liberal with it). That’s still 2x10^157. You’re more likely to get struck by lightning 26 times in a row (700,000^26) then to get a 2 move 7x7 solve. Another way to put it is that if each atom in the universe had a universe of its own, that would be about how many 7x7 combos there are. It’s similar with mega and 6x6 but I don’t know to what degree. While 2x2 has to be 4 move because there’s only about 3,000,000 combos.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if there is a way to determine the existence of a solution less then 10 (or x) moves without computing the actual solution.
There is. This is fairly obvious from computer science. You do an "iterative deepening depth-first search" of the space or something more advanced. But for "x" that small (say 10), it doesn't even take too much compute resource/time -- at least not on 5x5 or Megaminx, but 7x7 has a lot more branching. Also depends on the turn metrics used.

Ayce

why can't we just do two moves as scramble then? what if a delegate has a friend in the comp
I think if someone has a two second solve on 7x7 some flags would be raised.