• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Algorithm "translator"

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone

I was taking Tomy's OLL algs to word so I could print them and carry, to learn faster, but I remembered he uses "asian notation", with lowercase meaning cube rotations and w to denote double layer turns

so I thought I'd try to remember javascript stuff and write a little page to "translate" those algs, instead of doing it by hand

I forgot some stuff, but with some help from my old book and Lars V, I managed to do it :)

http://www.cubomagico.110mb.com/index.php?location=translate

there you go

just paste the alg on the first text box and click the button

click reset to clean the fields

if anybody is interested on the other convertion (xyz to asian), let me know and I'll add it to the page

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I've been planning my alg plugin to be more versatile, and make my own version of an alg display that takes many notations... Well, this is somewhat useful, but I don't think I'll use it much (but I'm sure the programming was worth it for you ;) ).
(Hmm, how about a Firefox plugin that converts notation in every HTML tag? :) )

Now, Johannes wrote a full parser in Haskell...

There are already a few issues: What's (rUr') (U2) (r) (U2) (R'U2RU') (r')?
(u), (r), etc. get ambiguous. Even worse will be when we go to big cube notation, if it's not self-delimiting anymore...

Irregardlessly, good job on yet another programmnig project dedicated to furthering cubing! High-five!

EDIT: Make that (LFL') (U2) (r) (U2) (R'U2RU') (r') to make it look more ambiguous. By the way, I was just writing arbitrary moves, and with 5 moves left realized that I could form an OLL. :p

Last edited:

Johannes91

There are already a few issues: What's (rUr') (U2) (r) (U2) (R'U2RU') (r')?
(u), (r), etc. get ambiguous.
didn'g get what you mean...
In that alg parentheses are used just to mark finger tricks (or whatever random move chunks), but they could also be cube rotations. You could try to disambiguate based on how lower case letters are used at other places in the alg, or whether Rw is used, but it's impossible to know for sure what is meant.

Not to mention that some people use lower case letters to mean slices or cube rotations... Ugh.

Edit: And then there's this problem: (R U R' U')x2. We need a standard.

Now, Johannes wrote a full parser in Haskell...
Yeh, last time I checked it understood everything here and here and here. \o/

And just added the [X:Y] conjugation notation. But JavaScript is a lot more practical, needs just a working browser and not GHC with gtk2hs and Cairo.

Also, doesn't some asian notation use R2w for r2? Or does everyone use Rw2?
Both are used.

Last edited:

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Hmm, it'd be good to make a javascript for all of them:
- input: algorithm with specified notation via drop-down menu
- output: algorithm in every notation

o_O

Tim.