• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

AlgDb.NET

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If they're missing a rotation they very obviously don't.

No, the algorithm will solve the case from a particular orientation. Just because the orientation from which to apply the alg isn't the same as pictured doesn't mean the alg doesn't solve the case.

Am I the only one who performs algs backwards to set up to the cases they solve before trying the algs themselves?

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, the algorithm will solve the case from a particular orientation. Just because the orientation from which to apply the alg isn't the same as pictured doesn't mean the alg doesn't solve the case.

Am I the only one who performs algs backwards to set up to the cases they solve before trying the algs themselves?
That's a good idea!

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Everytime...

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's really not that difficult to determine the angle of execution. If someone gives a list of algs they won't include images, angles or aufs if they aren't necessary or convenient - they're just a technicality anyway.

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
Why did they get through in the first place?

Just to answer in regards to rotations before the algorithms on the site.

1. Algorithms didn't have rotations on all them at first when I joined the site; some did and some didn't. So I chose to make the site uniform. Since doing the inverse algorithm to get the angle of execution can get annoying after a while if you are trying lots of algorithms, especially when you make mistakes, I chose to keep rotations. Having rotations just makes messing around with the algorithms easier.

2. Sorry that all case groups do not have rotations applied to their algorithms yet.
(i.e. ELL, COLL, a few PLL maybe more) are some I still have to fix. I am in school and have zero time to do any work with the site; barely any to even cube.
However, I will be fixing ALL the algorithms on the site after I am done school and leaving in my new city; will be adding more case groups as well.

3. In the mean time, I am checking submitted algorithms and approving correct ones after I confirm them by hand. If an error is made, I just fix the algorithm and resubmit it myself. I deny algorithms that I can't fix, that do not have rotations to show angle of execution, and that have AUFs.

Last edited:

cashis

I think a cool feature is the ability to change the view for certain alg sets to arrows instead of an actual cube. For example, ZBLL. Sometimes ( all the time ) it's hard for me to understand the diagrams and which pieces are actually being switched, and I think it would be very cool to have a button or something that changes the view to arrows showing which pieces are moved where.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think a cool feature is the ability to change the view for certain alg sets to arrows instead of an actual cube. For example, ZBLL. Sometimes ( all the time ) it's hard for me to understand the diagrams and which pieces are actually being switched, and I think it would be very cool to have a button or something that changes the view to arrows showing which pieces are moved where.
Which pieces are being switched is not important. It's like G perms. Don't you find the arrow diagrams really confusing for them? 99% of the time it's much easier to look for sticker patterns than piece cycles/swaps. Unless you're doing ZBLD.

cashis

Which pieces are being switched is not important. It's like G perms. Don't you find the arrow diagrams really confusing for them? 99% of the time it's much easier to look for sticker patterns than piece cycles/swaps. Unless you're doing ZBLD.

I think it's easier for arrows, idk.

mDiPalma

I think it's easier for arrows, idk.

In Kindergarten, do you learn about patterns by "OPERATIONS REQUIRED TO SEPARATE THE SHAPES BACK INTO UNIQUE GROUPS"

or by "NOTICING THAT SHAPES REPEAT SQUARE-TRIANGLE-SQUARE-TRIANGLE-SQUARE-TRIANGLE" ?

There's a reason for that.

cashis

In Kindergarten, do you learn about patterns by "OPERATIONS REQUIRED TO SEPARATE THE SHAPES BACK INTO UNIQUE GROUPS"

or by "NOTICING THAT SHAPES REPEAT SQUARE-TRIANGLE-SQUARE-TRIANGLE-SQUARE-TRIANGLE" ?

There's a reason for that.

I'm colorblind, colors are hard. especially with patterns. I recognize PLLs by OPERATIONS REQUIRED TO SEPARATE THE SHAPES BACK INTO UNIQUE GROUPS, not by NOTICING THAT SHAPES REPEAT SQUARE-TRIANGLE-SQUARE-TRIANGLE-SQUARE-TRIANGLE. Sorry I'm not the usual.

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
I believe COLL U also has the same problem.

Indeed. I am getting to it slowly.
Going to a comp next week and have only been back to solving for a few weeks now after several months hiatus. Trying to practice to not be garbage.
After that, I will fix the rest of COLL, ELL, and I think a few PLL.

I appreciate you pointing it out though. =D Don't hesitate to post errors you find on the site in this thread. I will gladly fix them.

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Fixed: COLL in Full.
all images should match algs and all algs should have rotation to show execution position in regards to the image displayed for the case.

Any chance of adding BLD comms?

Look into this currently. Wanting to for a while just didn't have a good idea on how to organize. Was thinking about using DeeDubb's doc as a guide for setup on the site.