• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming AlgDb Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Premium Member
I had the idea of creating something similar to AlgDb.net, but more organized and with more algorithms sets. I'm going to have all the ones that it has plus things like VLS and Magic Wondeful and ELL, and with a much better layout. Basically, it's a combination of AlgDb, Chris Olsen's website, and Sarah Strong's website. And I'll allow people to email me with alternate algs for cases if they think they've found one that's as good or better than what I already have. Hopefully, eventually, I'll have a custom domain.
Let me know what you think!
edit: not a thing anymore :p

Last edited:

Max Cruz

Sorry I can't be of much help. I think you should post this when you have a lot more at least one algorithm posted. Touting it as an "AlgDb alternative" seems a bit far-fetched at this point.

Hazel

Premium Member
Sorry I can't be of much help. I think you should post this when you have a lot more at least one algorithm posted. Touting it as an "AlgDb alternative" seems a bit far-fetched at this point.
I prefer my alg sites to have Ags on them

I've started adding algs, right now I have a few OLL ones; my main question at the moment is, is this something I should continue to pursue? Also, how do you like the general layout so far?

Max Cruz

I've started adding algs, right now I have a few OLL ones; my main question at the moment is, is this something I should continue to pursue? Also, how do you like the general layout so far?

Well, why are you asking me? If you want it to be an "AlgDb alternative," how can that occur without the creator pursuing it? Such a lack of ambition is not a useful trait in the workforce.

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
just saw this thread searching for another one. The whole point of algdb is to be a place where all good algs can be found. if there were more websites like that it would just stay as it is now: too many websites with algs and noone is able to easily find good ones. so i am deeply against this project as i think it would be wayy better to focus on one website for all.

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not sure I understand your comment.
If a new solution can be developed that is more functional and complete than algdb, I think that's good.
Algdb is a place where good algs can be found, but algs are not proprietary and can be used / ported to other websites just as easily and have always been.
Unfortunately you cannot improve algdb unless you are its developer, as its code is not open, so I don't think being against a project of creating a new alg website to be a bad thing at all. If you can create a better mouse trap go for it. In the end quality and content is king and the best will rise to the top.
Before algdb, this own website's wiki, was the de facto standard for alg lists and in some subsets still is. Algdb came by with a new premise and goal and it got traction and brought to light many new algs and that's perfectly fine and good.
The only thing I can say is suggest if you are going to spend time creating a new algorithm source, please make it so it survives you as a creator as much as possible, has the best algorithms that exist out there, is thorough and make it so that it makes it better in some way shape or form of other solutions already out there, otherwise it will not be worth the time doing it other than recreational purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.