• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

actually blind speedcuber?

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm wondering if there are actually blind speedcubers out there.

I can solve the cube with someone telling me some patterns without never looking at the cube myself.

Some teamblind things can help but using a non-cuber as your eyes is really challenging.

What are you guys thoughts on this? What would you do if you lose you vision?

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's one. He might not be very fast, but I'd definitely classify him as a speedcuber, and it has been a pleasure having discussions with him here on the Forum.

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/hi-my-name-is-claudio-garanzini-from-venice-italy.69160

I regret the fact that we haven't heard much from him lately.

As for me, I would probably continue to do some solving, especially "BLD" - use a textured cube to memorize and then an identically-scrambled non-textured cube to solve. I'm thinking a Giiker cube would come in really handy for that - it could tell you if you succeeded! But I'd probably concentrate more on software development and on music if I were to go blind. I hope that never happens, but if it does, that's probably the direction I would go.

Hi guys! Here I am; sorry for not posting lately but I'm still a Rubics cube fun and will be for ever. Being totally blind I've tested and bought also Mirror and Ghost cube and also a mastermorphics but, other than the mirror Cube, the others are impossible to solve for me. The mastermorphics has colours in it so that even if I try to solve it it's impossible to tell if it's really solved! The ghostcube is a beast, it reamins fascinating for me because pieces are different one from each other and I haven't found a good video or someone that could explain to me how to solve this monster. I'm still learning pieces of methods to reduce my solving time with the normal 3x3 cube. Ok, so here is my cubing life nowadays. Bye for now

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys! Here I am; sorry for not posting lately but I'm still a Rubics cube fun and will be for ever. Being totally blind I've tested and bought also Mirror and Ghost cube and also a mastermorphics but, other than the mirror Cube, the others are impossible to solve for me. The mastermorphics has colours in it so that even if I try to solve it it's impossible to tell if it's really solved! The ghostcube is a beast, it reamins fascinating for me because pieces are different one from each other and I haven't found a good video or someone that could explain to me how to solve this monster. I'm still learning pieces of methods to reduce my solving time with the normal 3x3 cube. Ok, so here is my cubing life nowadays. Bye for now
Hi Claudio, thanks for joining the conversation.

Have you ever tried the Fisher Cube? I love the design of the puzzle and I think it could be interesting for actually blind cubers. :D

Last edited:
Hi! How is the fisher cube? What are its charatteristics? I know it's a shapemod, is it right? Thanks for your help! Bye bye

Hi! Ok but I have an other question: Could a blind person solve a fisher cube without worrying about colours? I'm asking it because I bought a mastermorphix and, iven if I solved it, it wasn't solved completely because of the colours that weren't in the exact places. So, is it the fisher cube made in the same manner so that iven if I can try to solve it, it will not be completely solved?

xyzzy

Unfortunately, the Fisher Cube is like the mastermorphix in that respect; it's not possible to completely solve it just by the shape of the pieces.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
3d1a) Blind competitors may use textured puzzles with different textures on different faces. Each face should have a distinct color, to aid in scrambling and judging.

The regs have taken into account the possibility of having blind competitors, which is cool. I've never heard of one though (until this thread).

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi! Ok but I have an other question: Could a blind person solve a fisher cube without worrying about colours? I'm asking it because I bought a mastermorphix and, iven if I solved it, it wasn't solved completely because of the colours that weren't in the exact places. So, is it the fisher cube made in the same manner so that iven if I can try to solve it, it will not be completely solved?
Of course you can, just buy a one colour version like the golden one

SenorJuan

Claudio : I suggested the hard-to-get Fisher Golden Cube was one to look out for, in one of your other threads.
Other suitable touch-only puzzles are:
Ghost floppy cube - a variant on the floppy 3x3x1 puzzle, with 5 turning faces, uniquely-shaped pieces, and a 'parity' type of quirk to make it a bit harder:
https://ukcubestore.com/store/p524/Ninjia_Ghost_hand_1*3*3_Black_Golden.html

The 2x2x2 Ghost Cube - a simpler version of the 3x3x3 Ghost cube, based on the regular 2x2x2 puzzle:
https://www.thepuzzlestore.uk/limcube-2x2-offset-cube/

The Ghost Skewb - based on the regular skewb, but with uniquely shaped pieces, and the distinctive feature of needing to be misaligned in order to turn it:
https://www.kewbz.co.uk/collections/skewb/products/fangcun-ghost-skewb
- I have read that this is functionally identical to Tony Fishers' original Golden Cube, but not having them to compare, I can't say myself.

And the 2x2x2 mirror blocks, which is simply the 2x2x2 cube, given the mirror blocks treatment:
https://www.kewbz.co.uk/products/qiyi-mirror-2x2

All of these can be solved by touch, and they are all simpler than your 3x3x3 Ghost cube.

I hope this list is of interest to you.

Last edited: