• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A special glove that turn all 3x3 into smart cubes!

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Please read with patience↓

If you don't know, I have been on a quest of revolutionizing smart cube technologies in hope to make them cheap and accessible to the majority of the cubing community.
Here are the attempts:

But, they all turned out to be a bust for different reasons. I don't think I can come up with any new externally-placed-sensor smartcube ideas.

BUT.

A totally different new idea came into my mind. After a long discussion with @Lelouch , a forum member who has experience in neural networks(i.e. machine learning), I am excited to show our progress so far!

Rough Draft:
rough draft.jpg
It uses 5 flex sensors positioned on the fingers to capture the user's finger movements(flexing angles). These data will be sent back to a phone or a computer via bluetooth for further processing. Here is where the magic happens: a pre-trained neural network will analyze these data and determine the specific fingertricks being performed, and thus achieving the goal of anycube becoming a smartcube!

Some more progress has already been made, but I want to release them to you guys later after both of us had an agreement. If you are interested in this project, please post your thoughts below!

Last edited:

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
I'm really hoping that this becomes a reality. But based on your track record, I can't help but question whether this actually is going to happen
Yes, every time I come up with a new idea, it always looks so promising. But when I actually conducted it always has something I didn’t expect that prevents it from happening. And of course I cannot guarantee If this will be the same or not.

But so far, I have already buy more than $150 worth of material and over 30 hours on the CAD and programming on this, so I AM trying my best, as a senior high school student, to make this become a reality.

And even if I failed(there must be some bottleneck ahead), someone in the future can still use these data and maybe actually make it, this project or the previous ones.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
machine learning is not what is going to make this project happen. it's understanding how to build reliable electronics and hardware devices which is a totally different area. I have serious doubts ML would even be better than traditional DSP approaches. source: I did my share of hardware hackathons and in grad program for ML.
what concerns me is that the rough draft only accounts for finger movement and not wrist movement which is just as important.