• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A Beginner's Guide to OH

WCA
2010YUPH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

This is a beginner's guide to one-handed solving (OH). This video is geared towards people just starting out and people who are curious about OH. Below are a few useful links:

Turning tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_sHejYBzHU
Exercises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5O7Ac5dFes
OH OLL: http://www.cubewhiz.com/oholl.php
OH PLL: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9E85BF924D67980C
BOCA database: http://boca.bee.pl/index.php?l=pl

I'll keep adding to this list as I encounter cool alg websites. Feel free to make suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

makssl6911

1 word: Awesome! I'll get to doing more OH now! Now i just need a 55mm cube :/ Also, i know CFOP, average around 27, but also know ZZ. I'm like 45 with ZZ, but i may switch, so that i'm more comfy in OH. Do you reccomend the switch? Also, you are my favorite kitten :D

Also, as Marcel said, could you try to fix the links?:)

Last edited:
WCA
2010YUPH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Links are now fixed.

Choosing a method is largely personal preference. I made the decision to switch because I found the LUR move group and the guaranteed top cross really attractive. ZZ can complicate things a little bit if you do big cubes. It's pretty hard to reduce into a ZZ 3x3 solve.

Masimosir

awesome job ! was thinking on learning OH for a while ... thumbs up for your effort haha !

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Really helpful. Just one question: I use CFOP for 2H because I've used it a lot in the past and it's my fastest method by far, and ZZ-d for OH because it's mostly 2-gen and easier for OH. Is this a good idea, or should I change to using the same method for both OH and 2H? Also, I haven't started learning 2GLL yet; I don't want to have to learn both the <R,U> versions for 2H and the <L,U> versions for OH (I use my right hand when solving OH because I'm not using many algorithms for OH at the moment and it's easy to mirror them to <L,U>), so using ZZ-d for 2H probably won't work as well as CFOP would.

Last edited:

Eazoon

Really helpful. Just one question: I use CFOP for 2H because I've used it a lot in the past and it's my fastest method by far, and ZZ-d for OH because it's mostly 2-gen and easier for OH. Is this a good idea, or should I change to using the same method for both OH and 2H? Also, I haven't started learning 2GLL yet; I don't want to have to learn both the <R,U> versions for 2H and the <L,U> versions for OH (I use my right hand when solving OH because I'm not using many algorithms for OH at the moment and it's easy to mirror them to <L,U>), so using ZZ-d for 2H probably won't work as well as CFOP would.

Edit: OH PLL link doesn't work.

You can rotate the cube so that your right index finger turns the R face and your pinky/ring finger turns the U face. I find this much easier than learning the mirrors.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can rotate the cube so that your right index finger turns the R face and your pinky/ring finger turns the U face. I find this much easier than learning the mirrors.
True, but I haven't learned the <R,U> 2GLL algs yet, and I wouldn't have to if I used CFOP for 2H and ZZ for OH (which I do at the moment for reasons stated in my above post). So I'll only need 2GLL for OH: I'll probably just use <L,U>.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It'll feel weird when you change which hand you use. I used my left when using CFOP for OH, but when I changed to ZZ I used my right hand (fewer algorithms (only OCLL (7 algs) and EPLL (4 algs)) and all of them were 2-gen, so easy to mirror for my better hand). It was more difficult at first, but it's easier now.

weirdesky

I have a question about hand fatigue.
First, I'd like to say I get horrible hand fatigue (pain, actually), when I do OH. I can rarely get up to 30 solves.
Is this normal? I just have to work day by day, or do I need a smaller cube, do you think?

Suratha

I watched your video recently..Now I want to start OH solving..My main method is CFOP and I also know zz method and like to
use the zz method because of the 3-gen F2L and top cross..but I am not ThaT much familier with the zz method.What can I do??

uvafan

WCA
2012LIFL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I watched your video recently..Now I want to start OH solving..My main method is CFOP and I also know zz method and like to
use the zz method because of the 3-gen F2L and top cross..but I am not ThaT much familier with the zz method.What can I do??

Look on his channel, he has a very good tutorial on the ZZ Method.

ultimatecuber

I'm right handed and solve with left :D Right feels weird.

same here!

I have a question about hand fatigue.
First, I'd like to say I get horrible hand fatigue (pain, actually), when I do OH. I can rarely get up to 30 solves.
Is this normal? I just have to work day by day, or do I need a smaller cube, do you think?

you should try pulling and relaxing your fingers before and after each solve.also try squeezing a stressbuster, it helps a lot
its what i do

Last edited by a moderator:

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
How did you set up your 55mm zhanchi? I tried a lot of different tensions and they don't really seem to work.

I tried maximum corner cutting but it made the cube super slow and my times went down 7 sec (which is why I got such a fail average at Tree Town) Right now it's on super loose tensions. When I tried to do some T perms with 2H it exploded but it never pops during OH. It just locks up a lot.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How did you set up your 55mm zhanchi? I tried a lot of different tensions and they don't really seem to work.

I tried maximum corner cutting but it made the cube super slow and my times went down 7 sec (which is why I got such a fail average at Tree Town) Right now it's on super loose tensions. When I tried to do some T perms with 2H it exploded but it never pops during OH. It just locks up a lot.

For me, I just got used to the tensions that my cube was on, not vice versa .-.