• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes

CalebW

I'm looking to buy a 4x4 and a 5x5, nut I don't really know what's the best place to get them from or what brand to get. I'm looking forr some cubes that turn pretty smoothly, but also have plastic tiles(if that's even an option) or really durable stickers.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I'm looking to buy a 4x4 and a 5x5, nut I don't really know what's the best place to get them from or what brand to get. I'm looking forr some cubes that turn pretty smoothly, but also have plastic tiles(if that's even an option) or really durable stickers.
Moyu Aosu (4x4) and Moyu Aochuang (5x5)

You can get them from Cubezz.com for a really cheap price, though you have to email about the aochuang due to some issues with v cubes

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you mean?

V-Cubes have requested sites using PayPal can't sell 5x5+ cubes that aren't V-Cubes (I have no idea why though).

Also do those have plastic tiles or stickers?(And are there any cubes that big that use tiles?)

Tiles aren't very common on any size cube.

Cubesmith do some for 4x4-7x7, but they aren't really the right shape for the AoSu or AoChuang's pieces. MoYu stickers are quite good anyway

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Maybe go for stickerless AoSu and AoChuang. The AoChuang only comes with a pink side ATM however if the AoFu is anything to go by a red sided version will be released within a couple of months.

If you really want cubes which come with tiles you will be sacrificing cube quality.
Cubesmith tiles will require a little modification to fit the AoChuang but they will fit the SS which is faster but more locky without modification IMO.

unsolved

"Tiled" 4x4x4 cube?? (stickerless)

Hello cubers,

Does anyone recognize the cube shown on the top right at this page?

http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/cube4.htm

It looks like this (in case the web page above is no longer working)

cube4b.jpg

It looks pretty solid and I am looking forward to owning a cube with stickers that won't fall off.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
QJ
It is a Rubik's brand mech.
If you want a puzzle which has been outdated for years but want tiles go right ahead.

Maru
Dayan + MF8 6.6cm
V
SS
WeiSu
AoSu

All of those puzzles are better than it. Go for an AoSu.

If you really want you could remove the tiles but that's a massive pain.

You could try soaking the pieces in boiling water but a stickerless AoSu has the advance of not requiring replacement stickers and they will likely be legal to compete with in 2015.

If you really want the QJ it's sold here

I'm sure you would enjoy solving this more

One final point the QJ had issues with pieces breaking as well iirc.

Last edited:

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, AoChuang and Aosu. Stickers are more durable than you would think though. Don't let the Rubik's brand cube fool you. Good quality stickers last for many solves. My Aosu still has stock stickers which are near perfect and I have done about 500 solves on it.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
My Aosu still has stock stickers which are near perfect and I have done about 500 solves on it.

Keep your nails short and those stickers will be competition legal for thousands of solves however there will be small chips which drive me crazy which is the only reason I'll be switching to stickerless in Jan (crosses fingers without believing in such nonsense).

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keep your nails short and those stickers will be competition legal for thousands of solves however there will be small chips which drive me crazy which is the only reason I'll be switching to stickerless in Jan (crosses fingers without believing in such nonsense).
Yes, I do have a lot of chipping. The only reason I will be staying with stickers is that 1. All of mine already have stickers 2. Then I can choose my colors

unsolved

You could try soaking the pieces in boiling water but a stickerless AoSu has the advance of not requiring replacement stickers and they will likely be legal to compete with in 2015.

If you really want the QJ it's sold here

I'm sure you would enjoy solving this more

One final point the QJ had issues with pieces breaking as well iirc.

Thanks! I really only use my cube for working out positions to verify that the program I am writing is working correctly. But I really want to give a tiled one a try, and for sure a stickerless one. I have thought about taking it to Home Depot and driving a Floor Tiling Consultant crazy :)

rlfb_12_TFS_05i_search_normal.jpg

Yes, AoChuang and Aosu. Stickers are more durable than you would think though. Don't let the Rubik's brand cube fool you. Good quality stickers last for many solves. My Aosu still has stock stickers which are near perfect and I have done about 500 solves on it.

I have been through perhaps 200 solves on this cube and the corner stickers are peeling. Centers and edges are fine. Maybe I will just soak it and spray paint it.

Thanks for the links and tips, I appreciate them.