• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4 Choosing Help

KubeKid73

I searched about the QJ and Meffert's 4x4s because I read a lot of good things about them, but I still don't know which one to get and where to get it. I can't decide between these four and the Meffert's one from their site.

First, are these cubes QJ brand or not?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16332
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21302
http://9cube.net/473_New-4x4x4-Cube-with-tiles(White).html

Second, is this the mini QJ or the regular size?
http://9cube.net/492_New-4x4x4-Cube(White).html

And third, out of these four cubes, which one should I get?

cubeninjaIV

WCA
2009HILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
the second two links from cubeforyou are both the normal QJ 4x4 cubes
i dont know about the DX.
get QJ, its just as good as Mefferts, just dont try to cut centers the pieces will break.

I_love_cubes

get a mefferts they wont break if u try to cut centers they just give u alot of resistance they also have really nice tiles

KubeKid73

Does anybody use capitalization and punctuation anymore?

I suggest a min QJ, but I don't know much about DX.

Did you even read my first post?!?!?! >:-( Jk.

I think I might get a mini one if I get a QJ. And I don't really care about the tiles, I think I'm going to replace them with CubeSmith tiles. And I might not even need to cut corners on the centers, but I might. I'm not sure if it breaking would be a problem for me.

Jake Gouldon

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just be gentle, which you can do even while turning fast, my mefferts has lasted me since this spring without any breaking of any piece. And consider a large QJ, because the tiles are suprisingly nice. I thought I wouldn't like them at first, but I now love them and wish they made smaller ones for the mini QJ.

Jake Gouldon

YouTube
Visit Channel
Loosening the tension on QJ/Mefferts 4x4's is a bad thing. It makes it unstable. You must not be accurate at all with your double slice turns, because if you are, you wouldn't have this problem. Either that or you dropped it.

KubeKid73

Ah. There are mini QJs on C4Y. I still like using the old C4Y, so I didn't think to check the new one. As long as CubeSmith tiles definitely fit on the mini ones, then I think I'll get that one. And yeah, the shipping is crappy. If anyone can find a white mini QJ that is cheaper (with shipping) than the ones on C4Y (with shipping and PayPal cost) I would be very happy.

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't want to start a new topic for this.
From what I have heard/seen DX does not have the mini's. However DP has nothing but 60mm cubes. They are all different prices and so I don't know which ones are really mini QJs. Does anyone know anything about the green cube? If I can get a green mini QJ that would be amazing! However they all appear to be out of stock either that or I'm missing a very obvious "buy" button and am getting thrown off by the "buy suggestion" button

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
get a mefferts they wont break if u try to cut centers they just give u alot of resistance they also have really nice tiles

The Mefferts 4x4 do break if you try to cut corners too harshly. Mine did, and the replacement piece they sent still hasn't come, even though it's been 5 weeks. Apparently, once broken in they don't break much anymore.

KubeKid73

The Meffert's what? I also asked about the Megaminx, so I'm not sure. I found the 4x4 and Megaminx on DP and there's videos with them and they came in QJ boxes and the 4x4 says it's 60 mm^3. I think I'm going to get those ones. They're cheaper there and have cheaper shipping. Hopefully they'll be in stock when I'm going to order them.

cpt.Justice

WCA
2009HOVE01
The Meffert's what? I also asked about the Megaminx, so I'm not sure. I found the 4x4 and Megaminx on DP and there's videos with them and they came in QJ boxes and the 4x4 says it's 60 mm^3. I think I'm going to get those ones. They're cheaper there and have cheaper shipping. Hopefully they'll be in stock when I'm going to order them.

60 mm^3 is REALLY small.