• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4 and a half years of cubing and I still average 50 seconds on 3x3

Silky

How can I finally get better? I am autistic and have ADHD so that slows down my processing time a little bit and I have to concentrate a bit more.
Keep practicing of course. Lots of people get stuck and have a hard time improving, it's normal. The are lots of threads here to give you some general advice on what you should be focusing on at your level. There are some good youtube videos as well. I recommend some focused practice on individual skills that you struggle with. For example you can work on planning cross in inspection or practice executing algs as fast as you can. There's lots of help threads on here so feel free to ask more questions. With some persistence and determination I'm positive you'll improve!!

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am autistic and average 11 so you should not blame your time on that.
Do remember though, that autism affects people differently. Some symptoms could be help solving, while others symptoms could hinder solving.

As far as improving goes, I would have to agree with everything said by Silky. I also would have to add, try making sure that you can solve the cube without having to undo too many of your moves. Especially for case recognition, instead of telling yourself that you have to turn as fast as possible, just take a moment to make sure you recognize the case. Speed will come with time of being able to confidently recognize cases and such.

unirox13

I have minor ADHD and it kinda stopped me from wanting to focus on speed solving. Didn't really affect my ability to do so, just prevented me from having fun with it for long periods of time. I still managed to get down to a pretty consistent sub 20 average. For me, switching to Roux was a huge help. Because it's less algorithm based I had more fun with it for longer periods of time because of the intuition involved. So maybe switching methods is a good start for you as well. Also, I started focusing much more on learning to solve new, unique, non-WCA puzzles. I have a lot more fun with those because they're all different, yet many of them relate to one another. Finding those similarities and making them work like similar puzzles is a lot of fun for me. Most of all, though, reminding myself to just have fun with the puzzles is always a huge positive push.

Best of lucky and happy solving!

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How can I finally get better? I am autistic and have ADHD so that slows down my processing time a little bit and I have to concentrate a bit more.
I have been cubing since 2008. The only thing that helps me get better timing wise is grinding solves and doing deliberate practice.

Good luck with improving! Getting stuck is a part of the learning process yo.

I am autistic and I average 23. The thing is that autism affects people very differently. You should try not to compare yourself with other people too much.
But also, you could try out other events - you might be naturally better at some other wca event. FMC? Blind solving?

Ghaleon

I am autistic, have been speed cubing for at least two years, and I average between 40 to 50 seconds in most solves.

It has always taken me a lot longer than a normal person to learn any skill. I heard people say "I learned F2L in a day! I learned the last layer in a month!" It took me a month to learn F2L and 8 months to learn the last layer. I had to do drills in order to learn the last layer. Doing solves alone didn't do it.

I recommend you concentrate in having fun and practicing and forget about how fast you are. Everybody improves at their own speed.

While it's true that I am slow considering the amount of time I spent speed cubing, I remember my biggest advantage as an autistic is that I am persistent. If I were normal I would've lost interest in the Rubik's Cube by now.

Peace.