• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2x2 Core Magnets

Gerry

We are just talking theory here, as not too many have them yet, but aren't the core magnets on a 2x2 pointless?

On a 3x3 I understand how it can potentially help stability. The core magnets prevent the cube from being warped out of shape. I think the out of shape thing happens because the edges in between the corners separate the corners so the corners aren't always aligned with each other. So with the corner core magnets the corners are always aligned in relation to each other, and then the edge magnets (having magnets on either side of them) keep the edges in place quite well.

With a 2x2 the edges are underneath the corners, so they don't separate them. So just the corner to corner magnets in theory should keep the cube stable without the core magnets, right? Not to mention the edges don't move, so they are never going to be misaligned.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
We are just talking theory here, as not too many have them yet, but aren't the core magnets on a 2x2 pointless?

On a 3x3 I understand how it can potentially help stability. The core magnets prevent the cube from being warped out of shape. I think the out of shape thing happens because the edges in between the corners separate the corners so the corners aren't always aligned with each other. So with the corner core magnets the corners are always aligned in relation to each other, and then the edge magnets (having magnets on either side of them) keep the edges in place quite well.

With a 2x2 the edges are underneath the corners, so they don't separate them. So just the corner to corner magnets in theory should keep the cube stable without the core magnets, right? Not to mention the edges don't move, so they are never going to be misaligned.
Shhh. Gan's trying to make a living don't ruin it.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Gonna be honest Gan does some pretty stupid stuff like all of the time, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did it just to look good on paper. Maybe to make people think “oh there is a good 3x3 with this mech it’s gotta be a good 2x2”.

I think these new Gan 2x2s are a huge waste of money. I’ve still got my MGC 2x2’s that I got December of 2018 and they are still my main.

Gerry

I just thought of this. The new line has the magnets in the edges, which are closer to the core because it's a 2x2, and the edges are under the corners. This is the exact reason why the corner core magnets feel different in a 3x3, the magnets are closer to the core. In a 2x2 they both have a reduced travel distance for the magnets. Meaning the core magnets are even more useless... As they've already achieved what they wanted by moving the magnets closer to the center of the cube with the edge magnets.

I guess they didn't want to admit they messed up by not putting in numerical IPG in the original 251, and wanted to spice up the new release more.

The only actual useful cube is the Air. The Pro and Leap are just psychological marketing with stats on paper. (Or they're distracting from the fact that the Air is just a copy of the Valk 2 with GES)

Don't worry, I still love you Gan. Just stop over engineering stuff for profit.

xyzzy

but aren't the core magnets on a 2x2 pointless?
Not completely.

(Note: I have no idea what Gan is doing with their new two by two because (i) I don't really care about Gan products and (ii) I also don't really care about two by two, so I super don't care about Gan two by twos. I don't know how relevant this is to what you're saying.)

These are the reasonable ways to magnetise a 2×2×2 that I know of:
1. corner-corner (two magnet pairs per interface; 24 pairs in total)
2. corner-edge (one magnet pair per interface; 24−3 pairs in total)
3. corner-core (one magnet pair per interface; 8−1 pairs in total)
4. centre-edge (one magnet pair per interface; 24−6 pairs in total)

(The minus-whatever is to account for the bandaged corner-and-three-edges block. The pieces are already physically bandaged, so you don't need magnets there, but you could include them just for the sake of it.)

The first one is the only one that requires two magnet pairs between two adjacent corner pieces, at least if you want a consistent magnetic pull. The two pairs will have opposite polarity, and as you make a partial turn, there will be a point where the magnets in the pieces actually repel. It's the same thing with the middle layers on the big even cubes: the turns go (repel-attract-repel) (repel-attract-repel) etc. If the magnets are strong enough, this leads to a very distinctive double bump with each turn.

The other three magnetisation schemes don't experience this double bump phenomenon. In other words, corner-core magnets wouldn't be superfluous if used as a replacement for corner-corner magnets.

It's also still true that the internal edge pieces are the only ones directly contacting the core, while the corner pieces are held in only by the surrounding internal edge pieces.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought the point of the corner core magnets besides stability was "completing" a turn sooner. I didn't get a good look at the leap but I think they wanted to push this idea even further with the use of wider magnets. I don't know if I'm a fan of using magnets to complete turns for me, but I don't own any of the GAN cubes that actually have this feature so I can't say for sure.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm gonna buy a cubed magnet, and slap a Gan logo on it.

And it'll be the most Gan'iest Gan that ever Gan'd!

People'll will be like, "Whoa is that a new magnetic Gan!?" and I'm like, "nah sucka fool, it's the new Gan Magnet! Brace yo'self!"
If you don't mind, I'm adding this amazing quote to my signature.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Are you talking about the magnetic levitation or the tension levitation ones? Both of those are super cool, and I might make a tension one just for giggles.
magnetic, since they are GAN after all. It wouldn't be too hard because they can just copy the design of those levitating globes.

Gerry

Gan: write that down, write that down!

Can't wait for the GAN Stand L11m quadruple with stand ges v1 pro elite so you can change the desired feel of the stand!
The current stand already has that feature. There is a switch to make it either free spin, or slow it down a bit with a ratchet sound.

Gerry

Guaranteed to have WOW flow, and much speedy. I can appreciate what they are doing, even though the translation sounds weird to me.

(Based on what we found in our lab, it make be different in reality)

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you guys see my unboxing of the old GAN cube? It's been like a decade and they still haven't improved their translations

Edit: I weighted that cube since it felt very light and it came in at only 63 grams, the same weight as the 11M Pro! Ofc the old gans3 cube didn't have magnets or any elasticity settings.

Last edited:

JTcuberanger

I'm gonna buy a cubed magnet, and slap a Gan logo on it.

And it'll be the most Gan'iest Gan that ever Gan'd!

People'll be like, "Whoa is that a new magnetic Gan!?" and I'm like, "nah sucka fool, it's the new Gan Magnet! Brace yo'self!"

View attachment 15809

Just the 1x1 for now. Starting at 89 bucks. Larger sizes to be available soon. Honeycomb stickers extra. Dude, you're going to be rich!