• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2015 Forum Awards!

• Thread starter Deleted member 19792
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In 2009, as nominated as the most clueless member (and I have no doubt that the forum awards started because of me), I cannot appreciate the insults I have gotten from these threads, and I guess I could report every post in here about me. I don't appreciate it. I deserve A LOT more respect than this. I still cannot fathom why it's almost preapproved for people to mock me, and it's okay, but it's not okay for others to be mocked. Am I man enough and smart enough to handle it? Yes. Should I have to "handle it". NO.!

After winning best troll of 2009 and coming close for most clueless, I have to say it's pretty hilarious and I love it. I hadn't even found out until recently, but its funny. And it's important in life to have a good laugh at yourself. These awards ardent promoting it, but having a great look back on the year. Get over it if someone is "mean" take it light heartedly and if you don't like it, change how you act on the forums.

D

Deleted member 19792

For next year's forum awards thread (which I think is ridiculous, as it promotes extreme behavior), please post the categories in some type of organized and logical manner. It's convoluted, and I really think there are too many categories that I think most people (including me) thinks this is a joke.

In fact, I don't think threads like this are at all necessary because the awards for good, kind, constructive, etc., behavior are not what gives the members who are awarded for their behavior the motivation for being the good people that they are.

In 2009, as nominated as the most clueless member (and I have no doubt that the forum awards started because of me), I cannot appreciate the insults I have gotten from these threads, and I guess I could report every post in here about me. I don't appreciate it. I deserve A LOT more respect than this. I still cannot fathom why it's almost preapproved for people to mock me, and it's okay, but it's not okay for others to be mocked. Am I man enough and smart enough to handle it? Yes. Should I have to "handle it". NO.

Also, please remove the childish, nonsensical, or vague/too specialized categories in the future as well such as the following. Well, that is if you want people to take this more seriously. Remember, we have nearly 30k members on here. How many unique users posted in this thread? I arrest my case.

Besides, there are too many categories as it is, and it seems that the number of categories continues to grow each year.

"Most Deserving of a Hug"
Um yeah.

"Mitchell G. Lane Award for Excellence in Dosing BJ"
What is this?!

"Calvin Le Award for Biggest Postwhore"
Yeah, great. Encourage the people who post mostly junk on the forums to continue to do it, and, while were at it, let's make a competition out of it.

"Most Deserving of a Ban"
This is not something that does any good. It's not up to us who gets banned or who doesn't. It's up to the admin and mods.

"Least Deserving of a Ban"
People still are bringing up poor Ben Whitmore, even new members who do not know him...it's a sick joke. People who don't know him talk about him (and say LOL Ben) acting like them know him to be "cool".

"Least Deserved Ban"
Great. You want us to question our authorities decision? How did they miss this?

"Best Beard"
This has NOTHING to do with forum activity.

"#BeatShon Award"
What is this?!

"Most Under-Appreciated Member"
You know, there are a lot of under-appreciated members. Many have been here for so long, and those that have not been here so long but help so often still might not be "appreciated". This opens up a can of worms.

"Most Overrated Member"
If you have this as an award, then why do you have this thread to begin with? I mean, very few people are actually casting votes in this thread, and thus these "results" are overly subjective as it is.

"Best Teeth"
Seriously?

"Best Troll"
Again, this is just great. Encourage a competition of who is going to be the best troll. Let the mods tell these members to not be trolls.

"Best Behaving Member"
How does this weigh? How can any one vote justify that a member is the "best behaving" if some members who are actually better people are not given the opportunity to show how well-behaved they can be. And if we define "best behaving" as not breaking the rules, then there are A LOT of ties because there are a lot of members who are abiding by the rules. Too subjective.

"Biggest Fanboy"
This encourages stalkers and spam posts.

"Greatest Return from a long hiatus"
This is too "specialized". I doubt there are that many returning members who contribute much to begin with to have an award for such a thing.

"Go Navy Beat Army award" and "Go Army Beat Navy award".
What does these two have to do with anything?

"Most Achieving WR" and "Least Achieving WR"
This is ridiculous. Any WR is overachieving.

"ColorfulPockets Award for Worst Judge"
I'm sure if a judge messed up, he or she regrets it and knows it. There is no need to kick them in the stomach when they are already down. This is supposed to be a family-friendly forum, is it not?

"Best Forum Awards Host"
How can we consider you (or whoever the current host is) when we have not seen you do your work until after the votes are in?

Best post 2015.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol cmowla.

But yeah, there are probably too many award categories. Most of them won't get any votes, or perhaps only one or two, and thus there's no point in giving an award because there's no consensus even among the most social members. Remove the ones that refer to old injokes or that few people are likely to vote for, and explain any non-obvious remaining ones in the list. Honestly, there should probably only be 10-20 serious categories, and a few joke ones if there's anything funny enough that most active members will get the joke.

"You want us to question our authorities decision?"
Are you one of those people who think everything people in charge do is correct by definition? Anyone with power over a community should be happy if they can

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's convoluted, and I really think there are too many categories that I think most people (including me) thinks this is a joke.

Lol, the point of this is to be a joke (at least it was back when it started). The problem is the joke is now old and dead. In saying that, some gems that I missed throughout the year do come out in the best post nominations. Also dumbest post of the year, which should be exclusively decided by Mr. Pochmann.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not clear on why cmowla is getting flamed for what he said--he's completely right that awards for negative behavior encourage negative behavior. You only have to look in this thread, really, to see people saying "I'm surprised I'm not getting nominated for biggest postwhore" in a way that makes it obvious they want to be nominated. Hell, the person HOSTING forum awards this year has done his fair share of romanticizing spam and trolling. "Most deserving of a ban" and others worsen this. The category is used to egg on people like YouCubing, strakerak, randomno, Ben, and others in posting complete crap, and it's used to insult others who didn't do anything intentionally wrong and don't need to be insulted by winning a negative award, just like "most useless member" and some other awards. Apart from cmowla, Michael Womack comes to mind, and so does qqwref and Stefan's cheap shots at each other in last year's awards. I'm ready to see nearly all of the negative categories disappear, as most of them are used either as platforms to misbehave or as moderator-backed bullying.

Status
Not open for further replies.