• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Perception and thoughts about USA

mark3

Today in my AP Government class, we were talking about international relations and others perception of America. Some people thought that all other nations hated us, while I thought sentiments were more mixed. We got an assignment to communicate with foreigners to see what other actually thought of the US. I thought this was the perfect place since we have an abundance of international members who are very active.

Also know that I do not care if you want to say America is the best country in the world, or that we should be nuked off the map. Just know that all comments are valid here. I also might need to take a few quotes, so if you have a problem please say so and I won't quote you, just know that I can't use any names and only about 20 people will ever hear it.

Hope I can get some good discussion going.

gpt_kibutz

Well, in my opinion USA has been very important since the times of neocolonialism. However, instead of trying to help the new independent countries to get their own government; all that americans did was to take advantage of the natural resources of the third world countries (principally south america). They keep on doing this, and they dont allow governments to decide on their own policies and laws. An example of this is that in many countries there is not a formal law against unmeasured cut of trees (due to the pressure that american companies stablish on the governments).
Another fact that make many countries dislike american is racism. Although civil war is over, and with that slavery is over too; it was not until the 40's that african american people earned rights. However, discrimination towards latins, arabs, homosexual, etc; still continues. This is something that in my country is very present, as there are a lot of immigrants that cross the border looking for a better job, but the only thing they get is discrimination.

Another reason is the constant intervention of the US government in other countries, such as Vietnam, Iraq, etc. They argue that it is their right to fight for democracy; but I think that is not completely true. In Vietnam, Korea etc, US was scared of the communist doctrine invading this "neutral" zone and thus, interfere with its interests. The so called war against terrorism is not more than a lie to gain the "right" to invade oil-rich countries.

Inf3rn0

WCA
2009HOBB01
I have a high opinion of USA. I like the fact that you are somewhat futher along? and i feel without you many of our (New Zealands) exports may fail. However i am no expert.
I think along the lines of "In todays world USA wears the pants." please quote this from me :).

Edit: Changed america to USA

Last edited:

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The American people are nice people.

But the USA became very much hated worldwide when G.W.Bush was president. His Texas style of doing things didn't work when extended to the whole world and actually aided the terrorist's side alot. The invasion of Iraq was the biggest promo for holy jihad the terrorists could get. And the lies he told about Iraq's alleged WMD's angered the islamic world and trusted allies badly.

I'm glad that G.W.Bush is gone. And the new USA president has relaised that to defeat the war on terror, we need full international cooperation and that inclides the islamic world in Asia, and not division. And in the case of Afghanistan and Iraq, we need to win both the hearts and minds ofthe local population. Something G.W.Bush forgot to do.

In many polls in Europe, people were asked what you thought was the number #1 country that supported and aided terrorism worldwide. Their answer was all the same. It was the USA by a big margin.

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the USA forgot it's purpose of existence.
Everybody in this country thought we were great because we were able to defeat Britain. (With the helps of France and Spain. BTW)
The purpose of this country was to be free, and stop the horrible government that the people were under. Unfortunately, I think we are back to were we were more than 200 years ago. It really is sad to see how Pride destroys a nation.

lala47

I just want to make a little comment.

The fact that you call yourselves "america" doesn't really help. Since America is a continent, not a single country (Even "north american" isn't really correct, sincle mexico and canada are part of northamerica also), i know you people have been raised being called "americans", but anyway that is something that many people, specially in south america, consider very arrogant.

Lorenzo

WCA
2009GUTI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

The fact that you call yourselves "america" doesn't really help. Since America is a continent, not a single country (Even "north american" isn't really correct, sincle mexico and canada are part of northamerica also), i know you people have been raised being called "americans", but anyway that is something that many people, specially in south america, consider very arrogant.

Well, sometimes it takes too long to say "I'm a citizen on the USA."

As for my thoughts, something that has bothered me for a while--

Some people in the USA think about terrorists when they hear the word "Muslim." I hate that. A Muslim is a follower of Islam, the second most practiced religion in the world.

Also, some people think terrorism is a joke, or make jokes about it. There is NOTHING funny about terrorism.

Another thing, if you think that slavery is over in the USA..
ever heard of Human Traffik? It exists ALL OVER THE GLOBE.
http://www.stopthetraffik.org/default.aspx

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01

Searching BBC news site....searching Brazilian news site......searching Canadian news site......searching Australian new site.....searching German news site....searching Argentinian news site. Oh, everyone* calls us "American".

*- Not literally everyone, but it's not just us.

Bomber

Basically a a widely held idea in the UK about America is the price of living being considerably lower. I don't mean anything by this and I don't want to get into any arguments but you always seem to get things ridiculously cheap yet still complain. My experience of this comes from both forums but, which is possibly more valid, reality TV from the USA. Just yesterday I watched a piece of reality TV where it was showing apparently rich people in New Jersey with their 'Million Dollar Mansions', that may be a lot in New Jersey but somewhere like Edinburgh or London one million dollars will just about buy you a 2 bedroom flat.

Another example is from the Video Game market, here in England a new release will cost around $80.00. In America you will be paying much closer to $60. I have seen people constantly complain about the $60 price tag claiming that they will have to wait until it gets down to $20. Generally, in the Video Game market, dollars equal pounds: A PSP Go! will cost either $250 in the USA or £250 in the UK, that's right, we pay $405! And please don't tell me "It's the taxes" or "You're richer", that is a ridiculous comment that spans very little of the population.

You might also like to know that quite a few Brits fly all the way to New York just to do a bit of Christmas shopping, that's how cheap stuff is!

Last edited:

mark3

Things I dislike with Americans/America:

Americans don't know what football is.

I would have to say that is not totally our fault. In London in the 1800's, they made something called Association Football to make a version of football where you could not carry the ball. Another school named rugby came up with their version of football where you could carry the ball. Association Football was shortened to Assoc. Footbal and later to Socca' Football. There were basically two version, one of which caught on in the US.

And thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming!

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Basically a a widely held idea in the UK about America is the price of living being considerably lower. I don't mean anything by this and I don't want to get into any arguments but you always seem to get things ridiculously cheap yet still complain. My experience of this comes from both forums but, which is possibly more valid, reality TV from the USA. Just yesterday I watched a piece of reality TV where it was showing apparently rich people in New Jersey with their 'Million Dollar Mansions', that may be a lot in New Jersey but somewhere like Edinburgh or London one million dollars will just about buy you a 2 bedroom flat.

Another example is from the Video Game market, here in England a new release will cost around $80.00. In America you will be paying much closer to $60. I have seen people constantly complain about the $60 price tag claiming that they will have to wait until it gets down to $20. Generally, in the Video Game market, dollars equal pounds: A PSP Go! will cost either $250 in the USA or £250 in the UK, that's right, we pay $405! And please don't tell me "It's the taxes" or "You're richer", that is a ridiculous comment that spans very little of the population.

You might also like to know that quite a few Brits fly all the way to New York just to do a bit of Christmas shopping, that's how cheap stuff is!

In the UK, you also make more than us on average. Also, London is obviously a very pricy real estate market, and so is NYC. The apartment I have in Pittsburgh (a studio) is probably worth almost $700,000 in New York. I also do know friends who come and shop in new york, but that is also partly because the flights from London -> JFK are so outrageously cheap.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01

The interesting thing is that most of the people I know in the US don't call our country America, we call it the United States, usually dropping the "of America" part completely. I listen to a lot of international news and media. Far more people from other countries call us America than we do, ourselves.

You're spelling it wrong, it's "fútbol". ;)

Last edited:

(X)

WCA
2009GLOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

The interesting thing is that most of the people I know in the US don't call our country America, we call it the United States, usually dropping the "of America" part completely. I listen to a lot of international news and media. Far more people from other countries call us America than we do, ourselves.

You're spelling it wrong, it's "fútbol". ;)

Actually in norwegian we call the version were you use your feet for "fotball", and the other version for "amerikansk fotball", meaning american football

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Many of us complain because prices are rising, and they are getting much higher than 'normal' or what they used to be not long ago. This is problem because we have to spend more to get the same things, which no one likes.

And it's not like the rich are becoming less rich (which would still suck), because the average American does not get to buy things 'ridiculously cheaper'. That is only in comparison to your country. Here in America's economy, it's not ridiculously cheap when it's not as easy to get by or stay stable or average as it used to be.

You may say our economic in general is better, but ours still isn't in the best shape itself, so I feel we have a right to complain (if people are really trying and still struggling, not the lazy and lousy ones).

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's a lot about America I like (the constitution pretty much owns), but a lot I don't like, mostly based on the general political leaning and economic culture, the imperialistic behaviour over the past few decades, supplying terrorist groups that were anti-communist during the cold war (and supplying Saddam with weapons before realising he wasn't actually a nice guy), the refusal to sign the kyoto agreement, the massive gun culture, the embargo against cuba (and the bullying of nations that traded with cuba), the large inequality between rich and poor, lack of a proper healthcare system, the fact that they get loads of stuff cheaper than us :p(windows 7 anyone? $149 and £149 for exactly the same product?), etc etc.

Basically, I'm too left wing to like much of it.
btw, I'm not completely anti-America, the list of things i can think of that i don't like about Britain is easily longer, and I really like lots of elements of the political system and early history of the US (Tom Paine rocks my socks).

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01

It may very well be the taxes. Your VAT is 15%, so that's double the sales tax here. But it's not as simple as that. Your fuel tax is around $3.49/gallon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_tax#United_Kingdom), just for the tax. In the US, it's $0.45/gallon. How do you think those games get from the manufacturer to the store? So moving all these things around costs more, so the price of stuff is greater. Also looking at that link "Jet fuel used for international aviation attracts no duty, and no VAT." That would explain why it's so cheap to fly from London to NYC.