• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Video] Erik Expert F2L tutorial

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One thing about complex F2L tricks though..it may mess with lookahead in the beginning stage but once you get used to it..they're very useful.

Great vid anyway..I doubt I can absorb all of them...some tricks are really interesting

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another nice "why don't you just use" example I found recently:
Scramble: R U R' U' R U' R' U2
I used to use: U2 R U R' U R U' R'
Now I use: R U' R' U2 R U R'

And for the R2U2... case:
You showed: R U R' U2 R U R' U' R U R'
I prefer: [noparse][[/noparse]U] R U' R' U' R U' R' U R U' R'

And yay I have no life either.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another nice "why don't you just use" example I found recently:
Scramble: R U R' U' R U' R' U2
I used to use: U2 R U R' U R U' R'
Now I use: R U' R' U2 R U R'

That's a nice option. I don't think I'd use it though so the case of: RU2R'URU'R' and RUR'U'RU'R' are solved the same way. I don't know.. I kinda like it to solve similar cases similar ways. I might come back to this once I tried your option a bit more, it's interesting.

And for the R2U2... case:
You showed: R U R' U2 R U R' U' R U R'
I prefer: [noparse][[/noparse]U] R U' R' U' R U' R' U R U' R'
Well, to be honest I either do the R2 U2 alg or the alg from the side with: FRU'R'F'L'U'L. I'll definitely (notice the correct spelling of definitely) take a look at your option too.

And yay I have no life either.

:D

Ewks

WCA
2007ASIK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats ^^ I'm always surprised people don't comment that I don't have a life for making those vids, probably takes more time than watching it fully ;)

I actually thought of that but didn't post anything 'cause you're an awesome cuber (and it's quite obvious that awesome cubers don't have life or they'd be doing something else than cubing).

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
Congrats ^^ I'm always surprised people don't comment that I don't have a life for making those vids, probably takes more time than watching it fully ;)

I actually thought of that but didn't post anything 'cause you're an awesome cuber (and it's quite obvious that awesome cubers don't have life or they'd be doing something else than cubing).

Boy am I glad that I don't have any charisma at all. :)

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What?...

Do F' L F' L' F2

If you do R U2 R', then the UL and UB edges would be incorrectly oriented. If you do F2 L F L' F, then the edges on the last layer will be correctly oriented.

R U2 R' is faster but, F2 L F L' F orients the edges on the last layer.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Erik, thanks for the video! I watched the whole thing (and took notes!), so I also have no life!

The only question I have right now is about the case you had at 18:54. You are describing how to use keyhole to solve the FL slot using D L' U' L D'. However, the edge that belongs in FL was in FL only flipped. You could use a keyhole concept to solve two pairs at once (like you showed once earlier in the video) by doing: D y' U' R U R' U y L' U' L D'

That case has two cube rotations, which is not preferable, so I tried using something more in line with what you taught in the video to do: D L' U' L y' R' F' R U R U' R' F D' but this takes 13 moves to do and is not all RU or LU.

Would you have any special trick to also use keyhole concepts to solve both pairs at once quickly? Or is it not worth it? I look specifically for things like that during my F2L, so if I had that during a solve I would have done D y' U' R U R' U y L' U' L D' and just done the two cube rotations.

Is this not a good idea to do in this specific case because it is at an awkward angle?

Chris

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only question I have right now is about the case you had at 18:54. You are describing how to use keyhole to solve the FL slot using D L' U' L D'. However, the edge that belongs in FL was in FL only flipped. You could use a keyhole concept to solve two pairs at once (like you showed once earlier in the video) by doing: D y' U' R U R' U y L' U' L D'

Chris

I think you might have thought that the B/O/W corner was solved because I think that sequence will not solve both pairs at once.

However, even if that case did come up, you could do: D U2 L F' L' F U2 L' U' L D' :cool:

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you might have thought that the B/O/W corner was solved because I think that sequence will not solve both pairs at once.

:fp

However, even if that case did come up, you could do: D U2 L F' L' F U2 L' U' L D' :cool:

Wow I like that trick! I would not have though to use that to solve that F2L case! Thanks Robert!

Chris