• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ZZ F2L Algs

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
I currently do most of my ZZ F2L intuitively using block building, but when you get to the last slot and you end up with a nasty connected case things can get a bit confusing, so I thought I'd post my algs for dealing with these situations without affecting the edge orientation.

The algs assume that both connected blocks are on the U layer and positioned directly over their slot (front right). They don't apply to connected corner and DF-edges, only middle-slice edges. If the connected cases are for the back, or front left slots the algorithms will need to be modified/reflected accordingly - this is assuming the cube isn't rotated during F2L ;) The first parts in brackets position the block before insertion, so may not be necessary ... here goes:

1. SAME COLOUR TOP
    (U') R' U2 R' U R' U' R U2' R
    (U R U2 R') U R U R' U2 R U R'

2. OPPOSITE COLOURS TOP, COLUMN CASE
    R' U2 R2 U R2 U R

3. OPPOSITE COLOURS TOP, 'L' CASE
    (U') R U' R' U R U R'

4. DF CORNER TOP, SAME COLOURS SIDE
    (U2) R2 U2 R' U' R U' R2
    U2 R' U2 R U R' U R2 U R'
    U' R' U' R U' R' U2 R2 U' R'

5. DF CORNER TOP, OPPOSITE COLOURS SIDE
    R U2 R' U' R U R'

I was struggling to find anything better for case 4, does anyone know a shorter one??
EDIT: Provided by blade740 and Lucas Garron

EDIT2: Two more interesting cases:
  1. Where the corner is in place, with correct orientation, but edge is in the top face. Here's the alg (with edge in UF)...
    R' U' R' U' R2 U R U R
    (U2) R' U' R2 U' R2 U2 R2 U R'
    (U') R2 U R2 U R U' R U' R2
    (U') R' U' R' U' R' U R U R
    (U) R U' R2 U2 R2 U R2 U R
    (U) R2 U R' U R' U' R2 U' R2
    (U) R' U' R' U' R U R U R

2. Where the edge is in place, but the corner is in top face, oriented with down-face on up-face. The alg (with corner in FRU)..
    R2 U R2 U R2 U2 R2
    (U2) R2 U2 R2 U' R2 U' R2

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Been playing about with Cube Explorer today and generated a bunch of new ZZ F2L algs, covering a wider range of cases. I've made sure I have the optimal options for each case, plus there's a few sub-optimal ones for the less finger friendly cases.

If anyone has nice ZZ F2L algs to share please do :)

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Thanks for the pointers. I've added even more F2L algs, plus a mention of MGLS/EJF2L in the LL section. Think I should prob go catch up on my uni work now :eek: