• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Yuexiao mod for fixing the lockups and catches

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello :)
This is a mod that you can do to you Yuexiao, if you are experiencing lockups and catches on it. If you are not getting it, then it won't make your cube any better than before.
Also, don't do the mod too much otherwise you might start corner twisting and I am not responsible for it haha :p

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The yuexiao is perfect for me lol, I definitely think whoever is experiencing lock ups should practice accuracy ..

This pretty much. The YueXiao doesn't lock up for me at all, and I'm a nub with not the best accuracy. I don't get the complaint at all. Could some YueXiaos be better out of the box than others?

It just seems like some weird paranoia that cubes with squared corners cause lock ups, even if they really don't. The only cube that really has this problem (in my experience) is the original Gans 356 (pre new centercaps).

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
Yeah, I get lock ups all the time with any cube, and my turning style is atrocious. I've even had corner twists a few times.

fo sho fo sho. I should also say that my comment may have seemed a bit hostile. I am not carrying a hostile tone towards the people who may be turning inaccurately its just some advice to improve turning accuracy.

Cubeologist

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you tighten it or loosen it from stock tensions? I still haven't tensioned mine because I didn't want to mess with it, but I think I should now.

I think it's a bit looser than stock. But mine came fairly tight. I solved it a bunch before I took it apart, then I lubed the core with 50k, and evened out the tensions when I put it back together. Then I put some lube on the pieces and broke that in. Now it's fantastic. I can't believe people are getting catches on this puzzle.
Maybe I just got lucky and got a great one.

Kudz

This cube has gans design, so you just developed some mods for gans. If cube with this design locks, you are not too accurate or cube is too lose. This method is basically killing corner twisting. More you do it, the cube will corner twist more. Also it's gong back to old design (which cornert twisted a lot). So mod is pointless and stupid.

Now I'll tell why it works and what you can do to do it and don't destroy design. Take corner out and, when you'll be looking "from inside" (can't find word) you can see little triangles (the thing you just cut, so its not triangle anymore). Take a bit of plastic from this triangles. Idk if doing it is a must for this cube, but this variation of mod should give same effect and sacarfice cube a bit less.

But modded 356 <3

e: oh it works cause when u can it it does thing I said too. cap is under corner while moving, so it should help..

YouTube
Visit Channel
This cube has gans design, so you just developed some mods for gans. If cube with this design locks, you are not too accurate or cube is too lose. This method is basically killing corner twisting. More you do it, the cube will corner twist more. Also it's gong back to old design (which cornert twisted a lot). So mod is pointless and stupid.

Now I'll tell why it works and what you can do to do it and don't destroy design. Take corner out and, when you'll be looking "from inside" (can't find word) you can see little triangles (the thing you just cut, so its not triangle anymore). Take a bit of plastic from this triangles. Idk if doing it is a must for this cube, but this variation of mod should give same effect and sacarfice cube a bit less.

But modded 356 <3

e: oh it works cause when u can it it does thing I said too. cap is under corner while moving, so it should help..

You use modded 356? or 356s?

Kudz

You use modded 356? or 356s?
Well they are pretty much same after cap mod. I just recemtly switched caps, cause s ones look better.

I got one 356 v2 and it's diffrent so i choose my old, good 356

e: I might do some vid about this gans and whole design, cause I think I got pretty big knowledge about it. At least that part which I need. It won't be super great. Just good enough to upload. ofc if there are some intrested ppl..

Last edited:

Kudz

Anyone know the mod to stop the popping on the qiyi Storm?

Coolio

idk, maybe hmmmmmmmm, loose it a bit, it won't pop for sure then. Try to turn inaccurate as possible, it will help your cube to get into pops, and get rid of them!!

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
idk, maybe hmmmmmmmm, loose it a bit, it won't pop for sure then. Try to turn inaccurate as possible, it will help your cube to get into pops, and get rid of them!!

Oh btw, this issue doesn't stem from me only, people have said this both on YouTube and the forums. If you're trying to use my own argument against me from above, you do realize it's the small minority that are locking on a yuexiao, right? :)

Coolio

Kudz

Thnx ;) I'll look into that

Coolio

lel,I was trying to be sarcastic xddd. But these days cubes shouldn't pop. Tension it better and turn slower and more accurate.
locking is effect of that design, it's not perfect (now), but it will. gonna make that vid you'll see
ps: and i will write my method one day too,i just need to stop being lazy..

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
lel,I was trying to be sarcastic xddd. But these days cubes shouldn't pop. Tension it better and turn slower and more accurate.
locking is effect of that design, it's not perfect (now), but it will. gonna make that vid you'll see
ps: and i will write my method one day too,i just need to stop being lazy..

That's the problem you see, because I turn very accurately with the cube and I'll still get pops, I'm sure if you have that cube you know that it's pretty hard to turn inaccurately with it. You're right, the locking is due to the design. The cube barely needs to cut for it to occur, and with a little extra force it'll pop.

Coolio

Kudz

Sooo I talk there about it, how I did it that it is working. Ofc English is not my first language, so being confidence in front of camera was impossible for now. Still I think it was fully understandable. Vid is mainly about gans, but this mod will work with every cube with this design. Also I think that I didn't said that clearly that CC's mod works.. but why it is same as mine, but destroys design. Hope you can understand it and it'll help.

Last edited by a moderator: