• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Your Gan XS setup

MarkA64

I know a lot of people probably use hex nut setting 1 and 4th/5th click on the clear GES... (most stable setup and used by top cubers)

What are your favorite setups?

Mine are:

1. above
2. hex nut setting 3, 4th or 5th click on clear GES
3. hex nut setting 4, 5th click on clear GES

MarkA64

Notes to anyone looking to buy:

I have both the stickerless and stickered versions now, and I don't know if it's just mine, but the stickered version is just flat out better. I guess the production differences made a big difference. I'm using Feliks setup (hex nut 1, 4th click) on the stickered and hex nut 2, 5th click on the stickerless. These are the best settings I've found for each. And by the way it's not just corner cutting, I'm talking about the overall synergy/feeling of the cube. Stickerless didn't feel good on Feliks settings.

Just my thoughts.

Lordpaxin

I know a lot of people probably use hex nut setting 1 and 4th/5th click on the clear GES... (most stable setup and used by top cubers)

What are your favorite setups?

Mine are:

1. above
2. hex nut setting 3, 4th or 5th click on clear GES
3. hex nut setting 4, 5th click on clear GES
Are you maining my old Gan now?

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hex 1, Clear 3.
My setup is just weight 5 and its controllable now, but I wish it was faster. is there anything I can do?

Adding a drop of DNM / Martian or any thin top-up lubricant (I haven't tried many scs or cubicle lubricants) should do the trick. Weight 5 usually takes longer to break in than something like Weight 3 so using smaller amounts or doing more solves should see a gradual increase in speed.

Yeah, likely. I think the main difference between the two is the feeling. Also, less lockups on stickered.

Must have been related to a specific batch since I am not experiencing lockups on my stickerless XS. Aren't stickered and stickerless the same since they use identical internal plastic?

I've been working with the RS which I have magnetised and the 356M for a while now, which have the same mechanism as the XS, but when I used the XS, my settings were:

Clear - 3 or 4
Blue Nut - Dark Blue 2
Magnets - Medium (I prefer a subtle magnetic bump as opposed to those on the strong setting)
Setup
- Adheron on pieces (Equivalent to Weight 3)
- Small touch of Lubest PRO (Equivalent to Weight 5)
- Drop of sCs Galaxy after break-in of previous lube to get specific feel and speed

Last edited:

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is the stickerless great still?
It's awesome - you can see my full thoughts in the review section. The matte plastic is slippery for a few solves, but gets grippy over time. It is not the same as the gloss of the x, or in my case the "X V2", which I put in quotation marks for reasons I will explain on social media shortly, but I still like it a lot. It entirely depends on if you prefer stickered or stickerless.

MarkA64

Stickerless and stickered are both good but require different tensions because even though the design is supposed to be the same, they feel different.

For stickered:
Hex nut 1, 4th click (Feliks setup)

For stickerless
Hex nut 2, 5th click (J Perm setup)

so, in the end, it comes down to preference. Stickerless will definitely be better for long term heavy use because the stickers can chip,