• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

X Cross vs Tracking First Pair

jdh3000

3x3 CFOP

I know it may not be an either or, and there are different ways of going about it; is it better to try to get an x cross if possible or just focus on tracking first pair during cross?

I see an x cross as any cross plus first pair that is there as soon as the cross is completed.

I know one advantage is being able to see the second pair during cross.

My biggest problem with either is predicting where pieces will be after I start for.ing the cross, I'm working on it because I know that one of my drawbacks is transitioning from cross to f2l.

Is anyone who does x cross doing it in a block building way, such as building a corner block then quickly inserting the next two cross pieces?
I know there is also a way to use keyhole, which I am just starting to work with.

I've tried block building as such and though it does cut down on f2l, it makes my cross less efficient and thus slower. Is anyone doing this pretty consistently with success?

WCA
2019VENK09
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 CFOP

I know it may not be an either or, and there are different ways of going about it; is it better to try to get an x cross if possible or just focus on tracking first pair during cross?

I see an x cross as any cross plus first pair that is there as soon as the cross is completed.

I know one advantage is being able to see the second pair during cross.

My biggest problem with either is predicting where pieces will be after I start for.ing the cross, I'm working on it because I know that one of my drawbacks is transitioning from cross to f2l.

Is anyone who does x cross doing it in a block building way, such as building a corner block then quickly inserting the next two cross pieces?
I know there is also a way to use keyhole, which I am just starting to work with.

I've tried block building as such and though it does cut down on f2l, it makes my cross less efficient and thus slower. Is anyone doing this pretty consistently with success?
Cross+1 is something which you do every solve, but x cross should be done only in easy scrambles i.e. scrambles with blocks. World class cubers even plan 2 pairs in inspection! Felix's Zemdegs tries to do an x cross once every five solves but always does cross+1.
Long story short: Cross+ 1 is essential in each solve while x cross is a technique you use on an easy scramble
Hope it helped! :D

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
The technique you use to solve cross+1 (cross and the first pair) depends on the scramble. Sometimes it's best to do blockbuilding and make an x-cross, other times it's best to simply predict first pair. It depends on which is easier.
I agree. If you see an easy 2x2x2 that you could turn into an X-cross, then go for that, but otherwise it's better to just do your first pair like normal.

jdh3000

The best luck I've had tracking first pair is trying to throw pieces up in the top if they aren't already there and preserve them that way.
I can track a corner fairly well around the cube but loose sight of the edge piece.

Yea I knew x cross is not as often, unless one just makes a 2x2x2 block then inserts. I suppose that could be honed down to be as fast as a regular cross, but probably not by me.

I find the recognition of such things a little difficult, and I know that's only because I haven't worked on it. I don't remember but I'm surw in thw beginning of cfop that just identifying a single pair was difficult, and being able to see a second one while inserting the first was in the realm of fantasy for ne then, yet now it feels quite natural.

jdh3000

I've always thought of x crosses as square, block, cross or alternatively 2 adjacent cross edges, pair, cross. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I suppose that anything more than a cross would be “extended” as long as it’s there as soon as the last cross piece is inserted.
Such a cross could be a completed f2l “insert” with keyhole.