• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Windows Mobile Scrambler/Timer (Work in Progress)

Hypertext Eye

Carson, any chance you'll release a version of this on the marketplace? I got one of the new windows phone 7 phones. There's no way to install your app, and no timers/scramblers on the marketplace yet.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This app isn't designed for windows phone 7. Its made with the Windows Mobile 6 SDK which is like equating the original palm os with webOS as equivalent. Carson could port the code if he really wanted, but I have doubts that it will happen.

Hypertext Eye

Master Cohen, if you've been following this thread, then surely you've seen this exchange.

I'll probably get a new phone after 7 comes out. any chance it'll work on that?
From what I have read so far, 6.0-6.5 apps will be compatible with Mobile 7. Most Windows 7 phones will have a higher screen resolution, but I am working on getting this app to fit multiple resolutions, so hopefully that will take care of it.

Surely it is not out of line for me to post a follow-up question to that. Perhaps you should allow master Carson to answer for himself.

Note: I don't doubt the veracity of your statement. Can you not speak truth without treating people like fools? I have come in support of master Carson's work, and you have come to shoo me away!

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had forgot about that post as this thread is quite old (7 months is pretty old). As you may recall though, I was somewhat involved with the initial construction of the app. I provided the scrambler to Carson. Also, that reply by Carson was done before really any knowledge about windows phone 7 was going to be. The details of the new OS were far from clear back then, and the obviousness of the change should have been apparent.

Hypertext Eye

Yes, I'm aware that he used your scrambler. That fact does not give you the right to speak for him. Whether he decides to port the code or not is his decision, not yours (barring of course permission from you to port the scrambler code).
I asked only if he would release a version of his app on the marketplace. While nothing you've stated has been false, your posts are irrelevant.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never did say I was speaking for Carson. I was just stating my opinion about how Carson would go about it, which was derived from my personal experiences with Carson. It was never my intention to give you a definitive answer, but rather to inform you of how I viewed the situation.

Hypertext Eye

Then you needed not go on about how the platforms are different. The final sentence of your first reply was sufficient. I wouldn't have been offended and you wouldn't have considered a temp ban.
I'm glad we could resolve this amicably.

Hypertext Eye

Apparently my attempt at levity was in poor taste. I accept this and apologize.

If I am oblivious, then I am requesting enlightenment. If you could enlighten me without being offensive, I would be grateful.
Regardless of how you respond (if you respond), I will show my gratitude by making this my last post in the thread.
I'll consider myself lucky that master Cohen has responded to me personally several times in one evening.
Have a good night, sir, and have a good day tomorrow. May happiness and joy abound in your life from now until you wish the happiness and joy to end.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I haven't checked this thread in quite some time, and haven't done any work on this project in even longer. I upgraded my laptop to windows 7 a few months ago, and have not reinstalled Visual Studio since doing so.

Dan is correct in that Windows 7 is not backwards compatible with apps from previous versions. There were initially rumors of a compatibility mode much like Windows Vista and 7 have, but sadly this is not the case. I do not have access to a Windows 7 phone. I did play with a prerelease emulator months ago, and did not like the way it functioned at all. If someone releases a nice GUI for Windows Phone 7 similar to HTC Sense, then I will likely make the switch and port the timer over.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
  1. So, I recently made the jump from Windows Mobile to Android via a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S). For this reason, work on this project (as you may have already guessed) is pretty much over. The app is still functional, so by all means continue to use it.
  2. Because I am now on Android, I intend to start work on an Android Scrambler/Timer very soon. (That is to say: START soon, not release soon)
  3. I tried out some Windows 7 phones, and to say that I am displeased would be a massive understatement. Are there any Windows 7 Phone users here? If I get a decent response, I may put the effort into porting the current version over to 7 and adding in a few of the other scramblers that I wrote but didn't implement.