• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why would YOU recommend a StackMat Timer?

Ben

Hi,
I'm wondering if I should buy a Stackmat/QJ Timer.
But I don't really think it's THAT helpful.
So, out of curiosity and interest, could you post why YOU like your stackmat/QJ timer?
Thanks!

Last edited:
P

pappas

Its easy to use and I've found that many of the qj timers are hard to start and some dont work at all.

Jukuren

WCA
2011NANS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i have used both.... the QJ can sometimes be unresponsive
nothing worse then gettin done with an awesome solve only to find out your timer didnt even start
the QJ doesnt connect to your computer...
stackmat ftw

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It gives me something to time myself with in the manner that I'd be timed at a competition? I don't know. I was given mine for free and I (and my friends) use it everyday at school so it's proven useful.

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
StackMat (2nd Gen)
Pros:
Legit
Sturdy
More touch sensitive
Green light lights-up faster
Attachable to a Mat
Able to Save your PBs
Able to Hookup to CCT or Puzzle Timer
Sticks to surface easier so it won't slip away
Shows the date and time.
Transforms into a robot that serves Dr. Pepper.
Comes with one if you buy Speedstack Set
Comes with a bag.

Cons:
Pretty expensive

QJ Timer
Pro:
CHEAPER
Comes with a plastic sheet over the timer.
Labeled as a "Time Machine" on one of the online shops.
Comes with a box

Cons:
Every pro the StackMat has
Too light, I had my hand go down on it and it went flying to the moon. Jk, it hit a man.
Knock Off
You have to pull a plastic slip from behind to get it working.
Bag purchased separatly.

Last edited:

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The biggest reason is that every now and then I'll record myself, just in case I get some awesome solve. the problem is, the computer screen is bright so putting it in the camera view makes the camera adjust, which makes everyhing else look really dark. Plus the timer is a LITTLE better for solving because you don't have to worry about dropping your cube on your keyboard.

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Stackmat/QJ timers are very convenient for when I do not have my computer to time me. For example, on trips or vacations I would use my stackmat to time my solves because I could travel with it. Also, stackmats aren't very hard to fix. 99% of all stackmat problems are caused by the batteries. All it takes is battery replacement and it is fixed. I'm sure the QJ is easy to fix too since there aren't many differences, but I don't have one so I'm not sure.

It's also a nice for practicing for a competition. Since competitions, you know, use them.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would recommend a stackmat timer, if you want to be timed accurately without being accompanied by a computer. Regardless of having a computer with you, they can be nice to time with. My QJ timer was crap, it was annoying just to have possession of it. It turned off no matter how soft I stopped/bumped it. Now I have a stackmat timer, I like it.
People may recommend the QJ timer because it's cheap. Yes, it is very cheap indeed.

Last edited:

Chickenman

i got the QJ just before the Stackmat came in stock at Cubedepot :fp and i am just wondering is it worth buying a Stackmat even though i just brought the QJ one? help would be Appreciated :D

Ben

Okay, so I guess if I do get a timer, I should get a StackMat one.
Then, does anyone know a site where they sell them fairly cheap and ship to AU?
Also, do you recommend getting a Mat as well?