• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why do non-cubers despise us?

goatseforever

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't kid yourselves; no one is jealous of you being able to solve a Rubik's cube. Nerds are just easy to pick on. Leave your cubes at home where they belong; go outside and make some friends.

friends generally share or at least are interested in your hobbies, yet you say to hide a hobby and make friends?

I'm saying don't bring your entire cube collection to your high school, sit in a corner by yourself speedsolving during lunchtime and expect to not be made fun of.

Tyrannous

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't kid yourselves; no one is jealous of you being able to solve a Rubik's cube. Nerds are just easy to pick on. Leave your cubes at home where they belong; go outside and make some friends.

friends generally share or at least are interested in your hobbies, yet you say to hide a hobby and make friends?

I'm saying don't bring your entire cube collection to your high school, sit in a corner by yourself speedsolving during lunchtime and expect to not be made fun of.

Well yes agreed, that would be an extremely insociable thing to do, but bringing a cube to do when bored and with nothing better to do seems acceptable to me.

Chapuunka

WCA
2010JUDD01
You really only get picked on if you let people. Don't let them realize it bothers you, or just don't let it bother you. Very few people ever call me a nerd or whatever simply because I'm confident enough that I don't care what one rude kid thinks about me.

And face it, Rubik's cubes are perhaps one of the nerdiest things ever invented. Nerds have a sad history of being picked on. So if you're holding--not to mention solving--one of the nerdiest things invented, you're going to be called a nerd and made fun of. Unless you turn out to be a cool person that few people want to make fun of.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

If you had balls and stood up for yourself, I wouldn't expect you to be picked on. The anti-social cubing isn't the problem. The problem is letting them get away with it.

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's possible you are overdoing it on the cubing in public. You shouldn't hide your hobbies of course, but in my experience, once everybody knows you like a particular activity, and has seen you take part in aforementioned hobby, they don't like to be constantly reminded about it. If you had a friend that loved to knit and you weren't naturally into knitting, you'd probably get a bit sick of them doing it all the time too, right?

It's very easy to say people dislike you and your hobbies because they are "jealous". Of course this does occasionally happen but I don't think every little bit of negativity that you encounter should be attributed to jealousy. They probably find the noise irritating and find it odd that you could be so interested in such a thing. We understand, but to others it might seem a bit odd to repeat the same puzzle over and over... I would have thought that ten years ago and I know I can be just as judgemental about the hobbies of others if it's not exactly mainstream.

Just don't react if they tease you or whatever, and tone down the amount of things you relate to cubing in public. I.e. don't make every statement you can that it's your favourite hobby or people will start to find it irritating. The more you respond to their taunts the more likely they are to continue flowing in your direction. Stick up for yourself and don't make yourself the target!!

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you don't want to be picked on, pick a cooler hobby. If you cube all day, you need a life, but if you talk about football all day, you're a cool guy.

But honestly, if you're the kind of person that gets picked on for cubing, you'd get picked on for anything. People only tease you because it's satisfying to do so. If you don't make it fun for them, they won't do it.

They don't care that you think they're *******s. Why do you care that they think you're a nerd?

GojiraFan13

I am 36 and drive a forklift at a packing plant, and I cube on breaks and after lunch and get messed with about it all day.......by other ADULTS!!! People that pick on us have the problem here. I don't go out of my way to mess with anybody else about what they do on break or after lunch, it's none of my business whether they do it where I can see it or not! I can't help it that I'm overly obsessed with cubing, it's called O.C.D. and when I like something it's 100% full blown obsession, I don't see why we should have to hide so we don't get crap for it!...........$*((%*%*&*&#

YouTube
Visit Channel
having fun with your cubes often makes you anti social. that same thing happens to me too. some say you should left your cubes at home an interact more.

but i recommend something different.

mostly people despise cubers because of jealousy :) yes! that's right!

at some point of their life, they've tried to solve the puzzle but they couldn't make it. or they always say the classic, "i can only solve ONE color"

here's what you should do...

bring your cube every where you go. do a riff raff one handed and interact with them. they will ask you to solve the puzzle in front of their eyes. say to them that it's easy (while you making a cross and F2L, if you're doing fridrich). after that you left with OLL, say this "so now we have to make it all yellow". and then PLL. done. their jaw will drop and they'll borrow your cube to try to solve it. if they still mock you after that, just leave them :)

it happens to me all the time. bringing big cubes can also be a nice ice breaking topics.

for me, i always bring my 2x2x2, (2 pcs) 3x3x3 and 4x4x4

so, bringing your cube everywhere you go isn't a problem. but the problem is how you can managed to make your cube as an interesting thing to have fun with everyone :)

remember this, "haters are confused fans" ^_^v

D

Deleted member 2864

I just kill anyone who talks crap to me

...the mature way to handle it?

the mature way is to kill anyone who talks crap to me

The non-noobish way is to not double post.

The right way is to reason to anyone who talks crap to you.

The silly way is to go around asking why non-cubers hate all cubers, when it's perfectly possible to be social and cube.

The ignorant way is to generalize what others think of you to be what everyone thinks of us.

I, for one, am very quiet about my cube and myself. I do bring it around every once in a while though and while I try to keep quiet about things (kinda just my personality around people I don't know well), I also try to be polite and answer any questions that would be reasonable.

that sounded exactly like a non cuber...

+1. it did

The first part may be harsh, but as far as I know, it's true. Some people just tend to be picked on more than others. It's simply the sad truth. Everybody makes assumptions and automatic judgments on other people, even if they don't know them well. As for the second part, I think that's silly. If your being picked on, I'd try to stand up for yourself without getting into fights. Some people will then channel it to a senseless hate upon another person. Pushing somebody against a wall (or maybe getting your self pushed up against a wall) and punching (or being punched) repeatedly will not get people to praise you as "CubesofTheWorld the Great".

Did it sound like a non-cuber? Perhaps. Was it written by a jerk? Absolutely. Is it true that "nerds" exist and tend to be picked on a lot? No doubt.

Last edited by a moderator: