• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where 6x6 is at

CFOP2020

6x6 is in a strange place right now. There hasn't been a major release recently, and there is definitely room for improvement from today's top 6x6. To my understanding, there is no 6x6 that the community has labeled "the best." However, there are 2 at the moment that are used by the majority of 6x6 solvers.

The MGC: Easily the fan-favorite. Most consider this the best, but it definitely doesn't conquer the 6x6 market fully. This cube is speedy, a little unstable depending on tensions, and bigger than other 6x6s. Some notable users are Feliks Zemdegs and Ciaran Beahan.

The Shadow v2: The second most used 6x6 on the market. It hasn't seen competition a ton of use due to covid, but it has seen 2 records, the ER for single and mean. The cube is a little slower than the MGC, but smaller and more stable. The only notable user is Tymon Kolasinski.

Some honorable mentions:
- The Shadow v1: Big, really stable, really weak magnets, and only the old batch is usable. The only notable person who still uses it is Kevin Hays.
- The YJ YuShi v2: A cheaper, less stable, and less well put together MGC
- The AoShi GTS M: A large, really stable, and sluggish cube. Probably the best 6x6 in this section. Still used, although extremely rare.
- The Yuxin Little Magic M: A hollow, unstable, and naturally loose cube. Horrible quality control, but if you do get a good one, it works
- The Yuxin Red: Really outdated, stable, and small. Not factory magnetic, but a really famous cube. Stiff without Yuxin 5x5 springs

Ever since the Shengshou, All new 6x6 releases have been big leaps in hardware. From the SS to the original Aoshi, from the Aoshi to the Red, from the Red to the Wuhua, from the Wuhua to the Shadow, and from the Shadow to the MGC. Now as the market is so saturated with good cubes, its easy to find a decent one, but there is no real best cube right now. Do any of you expect a possible new cube coming soon? A Valk 6, or MGC v2?

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
The YJ YuFu v2: A cheaper, less stable, and less well put together MGC
it's the yushi v2 m. the yufu is a 7x7.

I also think that qiyi won't make a valk 6 since they made the shadow v2 m a few months ago. Also, yj will probably only make the mgc v2 if the shadow v2 m or some other 6x6 beats the MGC. What I think that we'll be seeing soon is an aoshi wrm.

Last edited:

CFOP2020

it's the yushi v2 m. the yufu is a 7x7.

I also think that qiyi won't make a valk 6 since they made the shadow v2 m a few months ago. Also, yj will probably only make the mgc v2 if the shadow v2 m or some other 6x6 beats the MGC. What I think that we'll be seeing soon is and aoshi wrm.
Ooh thanks for that catch. The Yu series all kinda melds together.

The Shadow v2 is over a year and a half old at this point. Its kinda outdated. But I do expect an AoShi wrm, and i hope its good. My Shadow is starting to wear out on me haha.

CFOP2020

From most reviews that I’ve seen, the Shadow v2 is kinda trash. Obviously, it’s personal preference, but I would say that the MGC has “conquered the 6x6 market fully.” If you look at every official 6x6 solve done this year, a huge number of them will have been with the MGC.
The reason the Shadow V2 hasn't seen much competition use was due to it being released at the tail end of 2019. But anyway, I've never seen it being called trash. ootb, its really not the best, its locky and just has the worst tensions, but after proper re-tensioning and setup, it really can become a great cube. However, due to the base cube being really not good at all, most think its a waste of time to set it up.

Kaiju_cube

I like 6x6, I like all the bigger cubes.

MGC makes great cubes from 2x2 to 7x7,.. I never really noticed any issue with them and tend to like them more than most other cubes.

I like my Shengshou 6x6 but I do prefer the magnets and better stability of the MGC.

.....always room for more cubes though.