• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

When should I attend a cubing competition?

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
I got into cubing a couple months ago, and my PB is 29 seconds. I average mid 40's however. I know if I went to a comp I would probably place near last, but there are some upcoming competitions which would be very easy for me to attend. Do you think it is worth going to a competition with the intent of only doing a few events you know you won't win anyway?

thecuber3

WCA
2016MEUN01
Absolutely any time. The whole point of a competition is to meet up with other people with the same hobby as you, who you wouldn't meet for any other reason. Even if you aren't the fastest there, you will have fun. You can make friends, get help with your solving, and more. I personally feel that cubing competitions should be renamed as a "cubing meet-up", since that is all it is. Nobody cares about how fast you are, just that you share a common interest that you can talk about. Don't be afraid or nervous to a "competition", especially if it is near where you live. You will regret it if you don't, and love it if you do.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes. Go and enjoy yourself. Every time you set is a PB at your first comp. If you are slow then that just means more PBs next time. Enter every event where you have a chance at getting close to the time limit.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Thanks for the support guys, I was really nervous that it would be a very competitive nature when I went to my first competition (which I think is reasonable), now I feel more confident about going

I

IAmEpic2004

You go to a competition when it's not 10 hours away

Drad

Thanks for the support guys, I was really nervous that it would be a very competitive nature when I went to my first competition (which I think is reasonable), now I feel more confident about going
You should go to the nearest upcoming competition near you.

Drad

I plan on going to Big Apple 2016 and Cube4Cam, they're both within an hour of me
Nice there isn't any upcoming competitors near me there hast been any official competitions near me ever.

LyrikTech

WCA
2015DAVI03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't worry, I felt the same way and posted on 3 different websites asking whether or not I should go to one. It's not a competitive nature at all, people treat a sub-10 person the same way the treat a sub-minute person. I'm like the biggest introvert ever and averaged 45 when I went to my first one, and I got like 5th to last place or something. The main thing is just to beat yourself in every competition you go to. And honestly the competitions are 99% talking, I mean they last all day and it only takes like 10 minutes to actually compete, the rest of the time is just talking, anyway if you do decide to go, I hope you have a blast!

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
Just go. I was so hyped for my first comp, was so worth the hype too. It was just fun and really cool to see so many other people interested in the same things I like