• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What type of lubricant do you normally use?

What type of lubricant do you normally use?

• Silicone

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Petroleum Jelly

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Cube Lube

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Liquid Wrench

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • WD-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please name in post)

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters

duboda

Lol!

lol joey. well, I use my own blood too. I can't get Yu Nakajima's tears. He lives too far away.

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
this new thing I found at my local Ace Hardware store:
(its in a orange can)

"Teflon Silicone Lubricant"

EDIT: Aha! Here is an image:
pg_silicone.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
this new thing I found at my local Ace Hardware store:
(its in a orange can)

"Teflon Silicone Lubricant"

This (DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant) was the second thing I tried after CubeLube, and it didn't seem to work very well for me - not nearly as good as CubeLube. I've since tried CRC heavy duty silicone (like everyone else), and I can see why people like it so much. The only problem with it is that I'm convinced CRC eats your cube, although apparently in a way that helps it. I notice that if I spray CRC on a paper towel and then wipe the cubies with it, the paper towel turns black (even if the cubies were clean to begin with) and the cubies seem somewhat discolored, like some of them have melted off. Is that just me, or does everyone see that with CRC? Anyway, despite that, it's true that the cube turns wonderfully after using CRC, so it works.

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm I have been lubing my cube with CRC for as long as I have had it which is around 8 months. There are a few spots on the cube where it has a gray discoloration but I haven't noticed it being worn away at all. My cube is green btw so the gray spots are kinda weird.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
CRC Heavy Duty has acetone in it... which does eat at certain plastics. It seems that cubes fall under this category. You could try to find food-grade silicone or plastic safe silicone, but its quite hard to find. I'm just going to continue using CRC for all my cubes, except 4x4, which i've found cubelube works amazingly well for.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Again, I use no lube at all.
I would like to use CRC. Tried it once at DC open and it was amazing. I’ve found some other silicones too; some are nice, But
Some, like Liquid Wrench, sucks.
Petroleum jelly, is ok, but I’m too lazy to apply it, and it’s not that great anyway. About the same as no lube, except more slippery.

Steve

WCA
2007SHAW01
I like using that cube lube you get with a Rubik's DIY but it wears out very fast and i don't like ordering more. So now i just use normal silicone. I have some random can of silicone that I picked off the shelves one day and a can of jigaloo. I think the jigaloo works best but it kills the cube pretty fast.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Aren't half of these poll choices bad choices for cube lube? Mineral oil and petroleum based lubes do bad things to cube plastic.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aren't half of these poll choices bad choices for cube lube? Mineral oil and petroleum based lubes do bad things to cube plastic.
Yes, I know about that. I was thinking about making a lubrication tutorial and tell most people to use silicone and cube lube, and the statistics of a survey I made. So according to this poll, 80%+ people use silicone.

Zigosity

I use Jigaloo purely out of necessity- I live in Canada and can't get any CRC here. I'm actually planning to drive over the border sometime soon JUST to get my hands on some proper silicone, because the Jigaloo I'm using is really screwing with the plastic in my cube. I'm actually kinda scared to lube it again now, because the last time I did it, the cubies turned white : |. And it wasn't silicone residue, either. : [.