• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What to do next?

thelegend

It takes me about 2-2.5 min each time i solve the cube using a beginner method (jasmines). Iv also just started doing slots intuitively as i go since they seem to improve my times if their easy to see. My question is what should i do next? Start going through the algs for F2L? Try to improve my cross with less moves and more "seeing" during the 15 preseconds? Or maybe stick to the beginner method if it can get faster with practice? Thanks for any input.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should be able to get sub 60 with a beginners method and a decent cube. Don't learn to many new things yet. Practise the recognition of patterns so you can execute a full solve with only very small delays between algorithms. Also practise the execution of every algorithm untill every algorithm no longer is 8 seperate moves, but has become 2-3 continious motions.

Then learn more algorithms and repeat the process.

tenderchkn

1. A good cube
2. Learn finger tricks (especially RUR' and RU'R' triggers and their reflections)
3. Do the cross + first two layers on the bottom; pieces will be a lot easier to find
4. Learn your color scheme so that you can do the cross intuitively and within 7 moves

F2L isn't really going to help you at this point. When you're ready, you should be easily under a minute with a layer-by-layer, 4-look LL method. What you should practice is looking ahead. Practice the cross until you can do it blindfolded after 15 seconds inspection. That way, you can look for the first corner piece while doing your cross. Same thing with inserting the corners; there are only three algorithms which you should know by heart, so you don't have to look at the piece you're inserting. Instead, look for the next piece.

For your LL, learn a full 4-look. That is, for OLL, learn an algorithm for each of the 7 possible states with all the edges correct. Additionally, learn an algorithm that will flip all four incorrect edges. For PLL, in addition to your corner cycles and edge cycles, learn both the Z-permutation (edges diagonal) and the H-permutation (edges across). Also, learn an algorithm that will switch two diagonal corners.

Your times should drop to about a minute with practice. Just keep practicing, and seeing pieces will get easier for you.

thelegend

Thanks guys. I've started working on my cross and reducing gaps between algs which has brought my average down to about somewhen between 1:00 to 1:10. I think I will start on those LL algs, though they do seem overwhelming...

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Before you work on learning all the LL algs, work on your F2L. Learn to pair up the corner and edge and insert it into the slots. Every day or two, learn a new LL alg as you go. Good luck.

thelegend

So for F2L do you use four specific algs to place all four slots? Or would do like two or three intuitively and the last one with an alg when there are no free slots to move pieces around. Sorry if this getting to be like spoonfeeding info, just want to thank you guys really helping me improve.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Well, you want the pairing up and inserting to become intuitive, without using algs and more seeing it through. However, to help you get started, you may want to look here at the F2L algs:
http://speedcubing.com/algorithms.html

The algs will show you how to pair and insert different situations. As you go through, watch the pieces. Eventually it will become very easy to do this. At first it seems overwhelming, but practice and you will get it. Your overall times may increase a bit temporarily, but in the longer run, you will improve greatly. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Pat

P.S. Check solvethecube.co.uk , click on Tutorials, and scroll down until you see a section called Algorithms, and that contains an Excel sheet of other F2L algs which use almost only R's and U's, if you prefer those.