• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is the worst/craziest incident that happened to you in a Competition

Tony Acevedo

YouTube
Visit Channel
I intend to make your responses into a Youtube Video, using the robotic Text to speech, It doesn't even have to be about a solve it could be a funny moment that happened to you, My channel is called Kendrick Cuber.

Twifty

I’ve only been to one comp, but I decided to judge there. I forgot to reset the timer once and when the competitor sat down, they didn’t notice until inspection was over. We just ended up staring at each other for 5 seconds before calling a delegate over. The competitor got an extra solve to compensate, but I felt so guilty.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
Probably one of the worst things that happened to me in a comp was when I had an annoying encounter with a kid.

I was judging, and we were in the middle of 5x5. I had just lifted the cover so the competitor could start, when a kid ran up to our table and began talking very loudly to said competitor. He basically said something along the lines of "WOW is that a 5x5?! I can only solve a 3x3! I think I could do that too!". He then began tapping and fiddling with the timer display at the edge of the table.

I tell the kid as politely as I can to be quiet, and that he can talk to the competitor once the solve is over.

This kid... This kid then proceeds to reach for the cube in the competitor's hand. He managed to gets his hand on it before I had to physically push his hand away. I didn't want to touch the kid, but I mean... he was going for it. Both his hands were poised for the cube. and he wasn't slowing down.

The competitor, who somehow kept up amazing patience, started his solve like nothing happened. Thankfully, the kid got distracted by something happening at the tables away from the solving area, and ran away.

But for real, that could have gone pretty badly lol
I'm glad I didn't have to chase this kid around for the competitor's cube or anything. That would have been just great.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This kid... This kid then proceeds to reach for the cube in the competitor's hand. He managed to gets his hand on it before I had to physically push his hand away. I didn't want to touch the kid, but I mean... he was going for it. Both his hands were poised for the cube. and he wasn't slowing down.
Nice job - you're a perfect example of a truly awesome judge. I'm sure the competitor was quite thankful for how you handled it.

MattP98

WCA
2016PRES04
At a comp last year I was competing in SQ-1, the first two solves were normal but then I thought I had a duplicate scramble for solve 3. Turned out it was the correct scramble and just had the same cubeshape and equator position. I was given E1, and lo and behold it had the same cubeshape again. The delegate personally scrambled and judged the extra and before the solve said "this is definitely E1". Pretty weird.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I was judging 4x4 once, the competitor had a camera propped up against another cube to film his solve. The guy at the other end of the table finished his solve and slapped the timer hard, and the camera fell down. The guy I was judging, without thinking about it or missing a beat, grabbed his camera, propped it back up, and finished solving. I really hated giving him a DNF, I think it would have been the best counting solve of the average, around 1:30 or so.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was judging 4x4 once, the competitor had a camera propped up against another cube to film his solve. The guy at the other end of the table finished his solve and slapped the timer hard, and the camera fell down. The guy I was judging, without thinking about it or missing a beat, grabbed his camera, propped it back up, and finished solving. I really hated giving him a DNF, I think it would have been the best counting solve of the average, around 1:30 or so.
Why was it a DNF?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why was it a DNF?
2i2b) The competitor must not interact with (e.g. operate, hold, wear) any active camera. Exception: the competitor may wear a camera mounted on their head, as long as it is out of their sight and it is clear that they are not interacting with it (apart from wearing it).

TJardigradHe

WCA
2017HONG17
At Euros 2018, I was solving during pyra semi finals and got a 2 on my first solve, which was pretty good for me at the time. The judge didn't sign the paper and we just looked at each other for a few seconds, and she said that my palms were not in the correct position when I stopped the timer. She gave me a plus two and since it was pretty busy and I was not very experienced in these situations (this was my 6th comp and I hadn't encountered things like this before), I just went along. I messed up most other solves because I got nervous (except for a super easy scramble), and I found out later that if I had not gotten the plus two, I would have made it to pyra finals at Euros. I have learned from this situation since that I should always ask for a delegate immediately and not sign if a problem occurs.

Twifty

At Euros 2018, I was solving during pyra semi finals and got a 2 on my first solve, which was pretty good for me at the time. The judge didn't sign the paper and we just looked at each other for a few seconds, and she said that my palms were not in the correct position when I stopped the timer. She gave me a plus two and since it was pretty busy and I was not very experienced in these situations (this was my 6th comp and I hadn't encountered things like this before), I just went along. I messed up most other solves because I got nervous (except for a super easy scramble), and I found out later that if I had not gotten the plus two, I would have made it to pyra finals at Euros. I have learned from this situation since that I should always ask for a delegate immediately and not sign if a problem occurs.
I feel so sorry for u fam

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
tbh your timer stop was probably bad. Most judges just don't call them, because it's hard to tell for sure unless it's super blatant. Not sure what a delegate could've done for you unless you could show video evidence.

TJardigradHe

WCA
2017HONG17
tbh your timer stop was probably bad. Most judges just don't call them, because it's hard to tell for sure unless it's super blatant. Not sure what a delegate could've done for you unless you could show video evidence.
It wasn't because it was super blatant. The judge said my palms were slightly curved. I stopped the timer the same as every other solve. With my palms down. There is not video evidence, so you may not believe me. I was, however, my fault for not knowing about not signing disputed solves. Now I know better.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One solve (3x3)2 seconds in to inspection the judge 8 seconds so naturally I put the cube down. And I got 10 seconds over my average.
Realize that you still have 7 seconds after the judge calls 8; start starting your solve at 12 if you still feel unprepared at 8. Also that you can dispute that if you know that you started inspection 2 seconds earlier.

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Worst: My sq1 got stolen right before sq1 finals and my round 1 average was 22.xx The worst part about it isn't even that my $40 cosmic volt got stolen. IT'S THAT A 22 AVERAGE PODIUMED DDDD:

Craziest: I was judging and when I lifted the cube cover, the stopwatch ran out of battery or something so I was freaking out thinking "I can't interrupt his inspection but I can't give him unlimited inspection" So I counted manually. Thankfully he took probably 2 seconds of inspection so it didn't matter.