• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What does your girlfriend say about cubing?

What does your girlfriend/boyfriend think?

• Because of cubing we got together!

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • She/He thinks it's cool and likes it

Votes: 37 19.1%
  • She/He accepts it

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • She/He hates it

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • It'll be the reason we'll break up

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I don't have one

Votes: 98 50.5%

• Total voters

Toquinha1977

WCA
2008YIMV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The cube actually became one of the motivators for my GF and meet to meet, which gives me the best comeback for "you need a girlfriend" (which I had an opportunity to use).

It's something she's not that crazy about, but she at least accepts it if not supports it (she buys me cubes, although she won't come out to cube meets or competitions). I did coach her on the basic LBL solution, which she learned faster than me because she was actually able to memorize the algorithms by notation before getting the muscle memory down, but she's since forgotten how to do the last layer.

And yes, she finds the clicking annoying.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Man, I couldn't imagine having a girlfriend that hated cubing so much to make me want to drop it. Actually it would probably drive me to cube even more, and strive to break the WR and go to as many events as I could afford. That's rather immature I realize, but wow. For most here, cubing is such a passion. That's like telling a girl she can't ever watch some sappy love movie anymore, hah!

Pre-requisite to cube, to be your boyfriend. Hrm, at least you know they have some intelligence and dedication? Although I'd say more like sub60 cubing, or at least a good desire to get there. I know a handful of people who aren't that bright or dedicated to much, who can solve using basic LBL. But hey, it's a good start, eh? :)

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My girlfriend was ok with it at first, and she even tried solving my Babylon tower (stupid parity(or whatever))!! After a while though she got mad at me and thought I was too much of a nerd. She dumped me (actually, she never said it, she just won't text or call me back. (i know her phone isn't broken cause i texted her with my sisters phone and she answered.))

I'm coming back though (Maria :) (you don't know her)). We are hanging out together, but aren't "going out" yet. She likes my cubing hobby and thinks it's "cute".

Thank you for riding the train of Logan's personal life! Come again.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like this thread already. Actually the same thread was running on speedcubers.de (the German forum) so I just thought it'd be a nice idea to place it here too :)

Anyway to the stories.
Starting with my ex-ex, she saw me on a TV show and emailed the studio later for my address. She never learned how to solve the cube, I honestly don't think she had the capability to do so either so ya we didn't last long.
My ex also saw me on TV xD I eventually tought her nephew and later on she could do magic and master magic and the first two layers. Never got to teach her more since though (we had better things to do than cube mostly). She thought it was cool and supported me in cubing :)
Now my gf, I actually met her at German Open this year where she competed too. We cube quite some times together, and love to team-BLD and give unexpected orders (you do the math) during it. She improved so much since we got together :D I'm teaching her some OLL's now and then :) She's probably Germany's fastest girl :cool: *proud*

Like Shelley said. It's impossible to be my gf and not be able to solve a cube! It's just part of me I guess :)

YouTube
Visit Channel
My boyfriend introduced me to cubing. Showed me this forum too.. Although reluctantly.. He likes to keep cubing and other stuff separate.
I begged him to teach me F2L which he did, and has promised to teach me OLL but then just told me to watch a few videos..!
..He lets me borrow his stack mat, we cube sometimes while watching TV and he has explained a bit of the 2x2 to me.

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubing is (one of) the reasons I don't have a girlfriend.

I enjoy cubing so much that I have little time for things other then eating, sleeping, cubing, and school stuff (homework etc).

Also girls in my general area tend to view me as more entertainment rather then someone to get to know and be friends with. It's kinda lame, but I'm not complaining considering I've brought it on myself.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubing is (one of) the reasons I don't have a girlfriend.

I enjoy cubing so much that I have little time for things other then eating, sleeping, cubing, and school stuff (homework etc).

Also girls in my general area tend to view me as more entertainment rather then someone to get to know and be friends with. It's kinda lame, but I'm not complaining considering I've brought it on myself.
I think someone needs a cyber-hug.

:)

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Girlfriend made it her life long mission to destroy every last cube i had.

This is the reason we are no longer together and I only have one 4x4.

HA!!

No, you don't understand. I love 4x4, so she saw my attraction to it and targeted that.

Now because of your rude remark I'm gonna go cry into a pillow, like I do when my 3x3 average goes above 19 ;)

miniGOINGS

No, you don't understand. I love 4x4, so she saw my attraction to it and targeted that.

Now because of your rude remark I'm gonna go cry into a pillow, like I do when my 3x3 average goes above 19 ;)

Wait, did she destroy all of your cubes except for one 4x4, or all of your 4x4's except for one?

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Girlfriend made it her life long mission to destroy every last cube i had.

This is the reason we are no longer together and I only have one 4x4.

Huh? That sounds like my father.
I see no point for a "girlfriend," but none of my friends would ever do that. I don't understand high school kids and younger who obviously cannot handle the responsibilities of reproduction getting boyfriends and girlfriends. If that's not even your intention, then just hang out, have fun, and not give it a formal name. I know there's something wrong when girls reveal that I'm more important to them than their official "boyfriends."
Solving cubes is fun anytime, anywhere, with anyone.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok so im quoting this from my girlfirend

" i like that you do it, because it makes you different and gives you something to be excited about, but something it gets annoying because of all the clicking and you get caught up in it. hence the nickname "neglect cubes.""