• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

what are some cubes you bought you were excited for that you hate? (or vice versa?)

The Meilong 3/Meilong 3M, is extremely bad for me, no lube, bad plastic quality, tight tension out of the box when loosen, it pops for countless, overall, it makes me disappointed, the Yuxin Little Magic M is way better.

povlhp

The Meilong 3/Meilong 3M, is extremely bad for me, no lube, bad plastic quality, tight tension out of the box when loosen, it pops for countless, overall, it makes me disappointed, the Yuxin Little Magic M is way better.
Meilong 3M with a bit of lube is one of my better cubes. Moyu cubes are mostly bone dry from factory. Good plastic, not too tight out of box. Never popped. But loosened up over time and I tightened it a bit last week. My cube for work.
don’t have the non-M. The Meilong Sq-1 pops.

YLM has strange cheap feeling plastic that I don’t like. Not in their sq-1 either. My other sq-1 is MGC so it is hard competition.

QiYi MS 2x2 and 3x3 are loud and feels different. But turns very good. But I really only like the Pyraminx.

The GAN 330 was pop-easy and way too lose out of box.

and for 2x2 - my well setup Yupo V2M is not that much worse than my MGC Elite.

and in general I am surprised how good a cheap cube can get with silicone lube.

Gerry

I'm still very new to puzzles so it's hard to truly comment on quality from brand to brand. Mostly will be general enjoyment of puzzles no matter the brand. (Mostly)

Puzzles I was excited for but sit on the shelf, Pyraminx, and Skewb. Then there is the Square one. Was so excited to get it, but now I HATE it.

The Skewb: I can't hang on to. 90% of my concentration is making sure I don't throw it across the room by accident. It's just the way the puzzles turns my hands can't grip it in a way that it doesn't just fly off in any direction like a wet bar of soap. Not the puzzles fault really, just the nerves in my hands are trash.

Pyraminx: This one I CAN hand onto. However the angle of the way you need to hold the puzzle hurts my hands.

Square 1: For some reason this feel like a double puzzle and it bugs me for whatever reason. I get so frustrated with the shapeshifting part. I struggle, and I don't enjoy it. However that feeling you get when you solve it is amazing, right? WRONG because it's still not solved! You still need to fix the colours. I don't know. It looked really fun in videos and stuff, but in person I hate it all.

Puzzles I wanted for my collection, but wasn't excited for,but ended up loving! Megaminx and 6x6 7x7

I wasn't super excited about them because of the way the Skewb, and Pyraminx are like my hands. However they are all comfortable to hold, very natural hand position. The only thing is, the 6x6 and 7x7 takes a little while to solve, so I need to take a break because my hands get tired fast. Even though a break is needed I thoroughly enjoy solving all 3 of them. Megaminx is now my favorite puzzle, and for some reason I enjoy the 6x6 and 7x7 more than I do my 4x4 and 5x5. I really wish there were more orders of Megaminxes in stickerless. I would get them all! Well except that crazy expensive $400 one.

Here is the only brand related one. Gan 251M. They have a reputation for top quality stuff. So when I got the puzzle I was very disappointed. Noisy, feels cheap, and hard to adjust. Now they want even more for the better "pro"" version? Don't sell garbage to begin with... The whole experience turned me off of 2x2.

Kaiju_cube

yeah Rubiks can be underwhelming for sure. I collected a bunch of them but I still want a Hungarian 'Magic Cube' in the blue box,.. and a Rubiks Mate (siamese cube). Just picked up the Rubiks Sphere which is pretty cool.

They all turn kind of badly though. I have close to 20 Rubiks and the only ones that turn ok are the 'Winning Moves' knock-off from the 80's (funny the KO turns better), and the 2x4 Rubiks Tower.

They can't really compare with actual speed cubes though.

I read Rubiks is now owned by a company in Canada. I want to get one of the 'new' Rubiks from them when I find one. I heard they changed the core to make the cubes turn better.

Kaiju_cube

I was pretty disappointed by the RS3M2020. It just doesn't live up to the hype.

thank you.

Seriously for a while there it was like every thread or post on Reddit regarding any cube would be followed by someone going, "just get the RS3M! It's so much better and it's only $8.!"

It's a nice little cube but it's not the be-all-end-all