• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Weird Dead End Using Cubicle 3x3 Guide

scullymerlin

I'm having a strange issue using the 3x3 Beginner's Guide published by the Cubicle (https://thecubicle.us/3x3Tutorial.pdf) on one particular cube, but not on others, and I'm very confused as to what is happening. I am proficient at solving cubes using this method, but cannot solve this one particular cube. Each time I try, the cube ends up resulting in a configuration that cannot get past the step titled "Twisting the Last Layer Corners" (where you twist the corners of the last layer so that the yellow side faces down). Each time I reach that step on this particular cube, the final corner ends in a configuration that cannot be twisted downward using multiples of the right hand algorithm without spoiling the rest of the cube. Here is an example of the configuration it creates:

36912.jpg

In this instance, the problem corner is the red/blue/yellow shown in the top-center image, which I am trying to rotate so the yellow faces toward the yellow side.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? I'm sure somebody more skilled than I could solve this easily, but I only know how to solve the cube using that basic algorithm, so I keep getting stuck. I've tried this again and again on the same cube and always run into this issue at the end, but my other cubes solve normally. So confused!

Thanks for any help!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is clear from the photos that one of the corners got physically twisted in place. It is impossible to solve without twisting a corner.

Your cube looks modern enough that it should be possible with some force to twist that one cube in place clockwise so that the yellow side of the cube matches the rest of the yellow side. At that point, your cube should be solvable.

Diving Cuber

You have a corner twist which makes it impossible to solve. To fix:
  1. Rotate the face with the twisted corner 45 degrees(half turn)
  2. Twist manually into the correct orientation(facing the same way as all the other ones.)

scullymerlin

Thanks all! This was extremely helpful. I didn't realize the corners could be twisted like that. I really appreciate all of your replies!