• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Weekly Competition Overall Scoring Rules

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here are the rules for determining the overall point scores for the Weekly Competitions here on Speedsolving.com, as given to me by Mats Bergsten, who does the weekly scoring:
(edit: new events added from Jan 2020)

In each event you get:
a. Competition points: one point for each competitor you beat
b. Participation points, which depend on the event according to the following list:
  • 2x2x2: 2 points
  • 3x3x3: 3 points
  • 4x4x4: 4 points
  • 5x5x5: 5 points
  • 6x6x6: 6 points
  • 7x7x7: 7 points
  • 3x3x3 OH: 4 points
  • 3x3x3 With Feet: 4 points
  • 2x2x2 Blindfolded: 3 points
  • 3x3x3 Blindfolded: 5 points
  • 4x4x4 Blindfolded: 7 points
  • 5x5x5 Blindfolded: 9 points
  • 6x6x6 Blindfolded: 11 points
  • 7x7x7 Blindfolded: 13 points
  • 3x3x3 Multiple Blindfolded: 3 points + (2 points) * number of cubes attempted (max 10)
  • 2x2x2 + 3x3x3 + 4x4x4 Relay: 2 points
  • 2x2x2 + 3x3x3 + 4x4x4 + 5x5x5 Relay: 3 points
  • 2x2x2 + 3x3x3 + 4x4x4 + 5x5x5 + 6x6x6 Relay: 4 points
  • 2x2x2 + 3x3x3 + 4x4x4 + 5x5x5 + 6x6x6 + 7x7x7 Relay: 5 points
  • Mini Guildford: 4 points
  • 3x3x3 Match the scramble: 4 points
  • Clock: 2 points
  • MegaMinx: 4 points
  • PyraMinx: 2 points
  • KiloMinx: 2 points
  • Skewb: 2 points
  • Square-1: 4 points
  • 3x3x3 Fewest Moves: 10 points
  • Redi Cube: 3 points
  • Master Pyraminx: 4 points
  • 15 Puzzle: 3 points
  • Speed Fewest Moves: 7 points
  • Mirror Blocks: 3 points
  • Curvy Copter: 5 points

Note that in blindfolded solves, you must either get a successful result, or attempt all scrambles for that event for a DNF result, in order to get participation points for that event.
Note that with 3x3x3 Multiple Blindfolded, you do not get the participation points for 2 * the number of cubes if your result is a DNF.

The points were originally assigned by Arnaud van Galen to attempt to represent the amount of effort (time) required to participate in each event. Thus, it is a reward for devoting effort to the competition.

Last edited:

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
I know that I asked for this about 2 weeks ago and altough some people wouldn't be in the list, because they are not on the website, I think it would be nice, if there would be a new section at the (current) results for the contest results like a new event but with the contest results if you know what I mean (?)(Yes Im talking about http://www.speedsolving.com/competitions/ ).
2 Weeks ago I didn't know how the results are made and now as I know it, I thought about this again.
Sorry if im annoying (and for some mistakes at grammar)...

Last time you said, that it would me more work, then I expected and im a little bit confused, because I dont think it can be that difficult to add all points from a competitor for this list/ranking.
If im wrong then it would be nice, if somebody could explain why :)

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a heads up by Mike, so now I am reading.

I could do that, it shouldn't be too hard to fix together a little hack for that given how the point system works. I'm just afraid it may cause confusion if results are different, hence why I haven't made it already.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think I found an error in the script of FM weekly competion. If you write Rw as r the script doesn't count it as a move. I wrote my solution in this style and it was counted as 36, which is wrong. It was: y x D R2 U' r U' B R B2 R' F' r2 U R' U2 r2 U' R U R' U r U2 R2 F R F' r U' M U2 M U' M' U2 M2 U2 r R. It has 42 htm, but there's 6 wide moves, which I wrote as r (not Rw) and the script doesn't count them.

When I noticed it and rewrote my solution using Rw instead of r, it was counted good. The solution: y x D R2 U' Rw U' B R B2 R' F' Rw2 U R' U2 Rw2 U' R U R' U Rw U2 R2 F R F' Rw U' M U2 M U' M' U2 M2 U2 Rw R has 42 htm.

cuber8208

WCA
2012GOOD02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The solution: y x D R2 U' Rw U' B R B2 R' F' Rw2 U R' U2 Rw2 U' R U R' U Rw U2 R2 F R F' Rw U' M U2 M U' M' U2 M2 U2 Rw R has 42 htm.

You shouldn't be using lowercase letters if you're following regulations as the weekly competition is supposed to(?) use Rw instead of r.
Same goes for slice moves, you shouldn't really use them written like that because then when you do FMC at an *actual* competition it will be a DNF.
Maybe they should be removed from the code if they were allowed as they are not allowed in the regs...

Sujisan

How does match the scramble work? Is it literally, you're given a scramble and have to "solve" to that scramble?

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
How does match the scramble work? Is it literally, you're given a scramble and have to "solve" to that scramble?
You use two cubes. Scramble one according to the scramble before the event starts.
Then you shall make the second unscrambled cube look like the scrambled as fast as possible.
And of course you must then ** NOT ** use the scramble then but some other method.
Good luck!

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
We intend to implement some improvements to the weekly competition to next year.
Better scrambles for Multi, 3-bld, Clock and Skewb. Some changes in the scoring.

Then there is the question as to exactly what events we want, as we use WCA events
only as a guide (but still the rules). We have non WCA in the relays. 2/6/7-bld, Match
the scramble and the Magic-s. A suggestion is to remove Magic/Maste Magic (as in WCA).
Several people have asked for Kilominx, some also 2-6/7 relays (which we had some
years ago).

We want to hear what you think.

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
We intend to implement some improvements to the weekly competition to next year.
Better scrambles for Multi, 3-bld, Clock and Skewb. Some changes in the scoring.

Then there is the question as to exactly what events we want, as we use WCA events
only as a guide (but still the rules). We have non WCA in the relays. 2/6/7-bld, Match
the scramble and the Magic-s. A suggestion is to remove Magic/Maste Magic (as in WCA).
Several people have asked for Kilominx, some also 2-6/7 relays (which we had some
years ago).

We want to hear what you think.
get rid of magic and match scramble
Add Kilo and 2-7
Mini Guildford?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Get rid of magic-s
I'm 35/65% on don't add/add 2-6 and 2-7 relays

Keep MTS

Kilo would be fun but I don't have one
Add OH/Feet 4x4 (I'm fine if not added)
Add no inspection 3x3 (I want this one more)

Better BLD scrambles will be welcomed warmly

What will the changes in scoring be?

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How many people even do magic in the weekly Comp anyway compared to four years ago?
Pretty sure most of the weeks that I've done it it's either just me or someone else and me.

I strictly do it for points, which mean that I'm completely okay with removing these events.
All the other events in right now I partipate in because I enjoy competiting in the events.