• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA Documents: Updated January 1, 2013

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
From what I could see:
Strict enforcement of time limits. Judge has no discretion to allow competitor to continue the solve once the time limit has been reached.
Cumulative time limits are possible
Cumulative time penalties
0.00 on timer before end solve is an extra attempt (I think. I could be wrong on this one)
Outer Block Turn Metric instead of Half Term Metric.
Some organisational responsibilities have moved from organiser to delegate, although the delegate may delegate responsibilities to organisers.

In my opinion, the biggest thing changed is how we treat defective puzzles at the end of solves.

Also, main judge has been completely removed.

cubernya

Premium Member
In my opinion, the biggest thing changed is how we treat defective puzzles at the end of solves.

Also, main judge has been completely removed.

That's one of the main one's in my opinion. It's very helpful, since if a corner twists during a PLL (as it did on one of my 4x4 solves), it's still considered solved, and not a DNF.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's one of the main one's in my opinion. It's very helpful, since if a corner twists during a PLL (as it did on one of my 4x4 solves), it's still considered solved, and not a DNF.
No? How did you figure that one out? If a corner twists then you are allowed to twist it back without taking it out. You can't just leave it and declare it solved.

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
I don't see anything that states that you aren't allowed to intentionally cause a puzzle defect.

So what? Cause as many puzzle defects as you want as long as there is:

5b2) Any repair to a puzzle must not give the competitor any advantage in solving the puzzle. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

cubernya

Premium Member
No? How did you figure that one out? If a corner twists then you are allowed to twist it back without taking it out. You can't just leave it and declare it solved.

5b5) If parts of the puzzle are still defective or not fully placed at the end of the attempt, the result is recorded as the worst state obtainable by repairing the puzzle (see Regulation 5b3).

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks to all those that worked on this document!:tu

In PDF version, links that reference to other regulations don't appear correctly. Like the part in parentheses in this one:
5b5) If parts of the puzzle are still defective or not fully placed at the end of the attempt, the result is recorded as the worst state obtainable by repairing the puzzle (see Regulation 5b3).

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01

Exactly. The worst state possible from "repairing" a twisted corner is having the corner twisted the other way, which is DNF.

cubernya

Premium Member
Exactly. The worst state possible from "repairing" a twisted corner is having the corner twisted the other way, which is DNF.

I interpreted that as worst solvable state, but maybe that's just me.
Edit: Checked the guidelines, and the pyraminx example doesn't help, since all tip positions are solvable

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel

5b2) Any repair to a puzzle must not give the competitor any advantage in solving the puzzle. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

Then the judge needs to know how the defect occured? Because depending on this, fixing a single corner twist could either be giving an advantage or not.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Repairing kinda always is an advantage in solving the puzzle...
Advantage compared to what?

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
I interpreted that as worst solvable state, but maybe that's just me.
Edit: Checked the guidelines, and the pyraminx example doesn't help, since all tip positions are solvable

Yes, it's just you. It clearly says "the worst state obtainable by repairing the puzzle". There's no mention of solvable state.

The pyraminx example is quite clear. When a tip falls off, you can repair it by placing it back. You can do so in 3 ways. 1 way in which it is placed and aligned correctly and 2 ways in which it is placed but need to make 1 move to align it, which is a plus two. +2 is the worst case scenario here, so that's what will be recorded. If for example the same thing happens + another tip aligned incorrectly, then the worst possible state would be a DNF.

Again, whether the puzzle is solvable after the repair is irrelevant.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
5a) Examples of puzzle defects include: popped pieces, pieces twisted in place, and detached screws/caps/stickers

Sounds like for example superflip is twelve puzzle defects. Don't see a way to exploit this, though...

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How is a flipped edge twisted? Unless it was an obscenely loose cube, I guess...

Just tried it with one cube (Zhanchi), I can directly twist an edge in place, don't even need a 45 degree misalignment :)

Was just an example anyway, I picked it for the short name. Imagine you get a scramble that results in some corner in the correct place but twisted (like the URF corner after the "scramble" R U). That's called a puzzle defect then.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

Does this mean that a cube with a flipped edge (because of a pop) is considered solved? Repairing it means solving it; no matter how you do it.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does this mean that a cube with a flipped edge (because of a pop) is considered solved? Repairing it means solving it; no matter how you do it.

Hmm... together with the rule to only repair defective pieces, I'd say it actually does mean that that is considered solved.