• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA Documents: Updated January 1, 2013

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
Hello all,

The World Cube Association has released a new set of documents, effective January 1, 2013. All documents can be accessed via http://worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/.

The WCA Regulations go into effect immediately, and govern all official competitions sanctioned by the World Cube Association. The WCA Regulations are also supplemented by the WCA Guidelines. The Regulations should be considered a complete document, but the Guidelines contain additional clarifications and explanations.

The WCA has also updated the scramble program(s) to be used for official competitions; the official scrambler can also be found at the link above.

Special thanks to:
- The WCA Board (Tyson Mao, Ron van Bruchem, Tim Reynolds, and Sébastien Auroux), Independent Advisory Committee (Anders Larsson), the WCA Delegates (too many to list) and members of the community for constructive feedback and review;
- Jeremy Fleischman, the point man and lead architect of the TNoodle Official WCA Scrambler project; and lastly,
- The entire WRC committee (Clément Gallet, Lucas Garron, Sébastien Auroux, Shelley Chang, and myself) for their their tireless efforts. Each of the members of the WRC spent an inordinate amount of time collecting data, reviewing Delegate and community feedback, and debating the merits of the WCA Regulations.

Happy New Year!

Vincent Sheu
Chair, WCA Regulations Committee; WCA Delegate

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I might sound stupid, but do the regulations state which scramble program is used? is it tnoodle?

They do, indirectly: 4f) Competition scramble sequences must be generated using the current official version of the official WCA scramble program (available via the WCA website).

The main point behind this is that the official scramble program can be updated separately from the Regulations. It's available from http://worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/scrambles.html

EDIT: As Daniel mentioned, yes, it's TNoodle.

Last edited:

cubernya

Premium Member
Is it just me, or is the regulations page unchanged? I'm almost positive it hasn't changed, although the other pages are up.

speedpicker

I'd like to point out that you're only allowed to do this if a puzzle defect, such as a pop, has already occurred.

Can you just clarify that please? You are only allowed to twist a corner back if the cube has also popped? That doesnt seem to make sense.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you just clarify that please? You are only allowed to twist a corner back if the cube has also popped? That doesnt seem to make sense.

I think he means that you can only twist the corner if it has already twisted, making the cube unsolvable, not just at any time to try and force a better case by cheating.

speedpicker

Well it clearly says "If the puzzle is unsolvable, and can be made solvable by rotating a single corner piece". No mention of pops though, unless he means a corner has previously popped and has been replaced incorrectly? Hence the clarification request.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well it clearly says "If the puzzle is unsolvable, and can be made solvable by rotating a single corner piece". No mention of pops though, unless he means a corner has previously popped and has been replaced incorrectly? Hence the clarification request.

Yes that's what he meant. Surely that is obvious.