• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Washington DC Open 2008

watermelon

WCA
2007STER01
This is extremely last minute, but it looks like I won't be able to make it afterall. I'm rather disappointed, but on the bright side, the competition is just a day away :). To all of you going tonight, it sounds like fun, and I wish I could be there!

Again, sorry for the last minute cancellation, but things just didn't seem to work out.

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great contest, watermelon. Some results:
Jason Baum won 3x3, Mitchell 2nd and John Tamanas 3rd
Hardwick wr 5x5 bld (15:xx) and won FMC (32) and 3x3 bld
Dan Cohen won a lot of events, NAR singles in pyraminx (5.xx) and clock (12.75?)
I got NAR pyraminx avg (low 9 or high 8), disappointing 2/8 65:xx multi
That was a lot of fun.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great contest, watermelon. Some results:
Jason Baum won 3x3, Mitchell 2nd and John Tamanas 3rd
Hardwick wr 5x5 bld (15:xx) and won FMC (32) and 3x3 bld
Dan Cohen won a lot of events, NAR singles in pyraminx (5.xx) and clock (12.75?)
I got NAR pyraminx avg (low 9 or high 8), disappointing 2/8 65:xx multi
That was a lot of fun.

Another new world record at 5x5x5 BLD? Awesome, Chris! I can't wait to see the rest of the results! Did Jason finally get some really good times in competition?

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great competition! I didn't do any great solves but it was very fun! I got to see Dan Cohen's amazing Rubik's 4x4. It's so much better than any Eastsheen. I don't see anything special about the Edison cube though. Can't tell the difference between that and a regular DIY. Tim's CRC spray was amazing. Congratulations on pyraminx and clock NARs! Chris is too amazing. another 5x5 BLD WR and 32 move FMC. (I got 48).

Siraj A.

WCA
2007ALIS01
This was an awesome competition. I did horribly horrible in 2x2 and 3x3, but got a 1:30 +2 4x4 single and a 3:19 5x5 single. I used my Rubik's 5x5! I didn't do as good in pyraminx as I did the night before, but i still got 3rd place. I got to meet a lot of cubers that I've talk to before and got to see some old friends. I can't wait for the Nationals.

E

Ethan Rosen

I may have done pretty badly at every event, but it was still incredibly fun! Great competition Mitchel!

jtjogobonito

WCA
2007TAMA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did pretty well in 3x3 and amazing (for me) in 4x4. I have no idea how I got third in 3x3, though. So does this average make me the fastest Green cross solver?

Last edited:

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I finally just got back from the competition. It was a lot of fun! Mitchell did a great job of organizing everything; we actually finished ahead of schedule. Overall, I'm pleased with how I did on 3x3x3. Well, the first round was seriously the worst round of my life (16 average), so that's all I'm going to mention about that. I averaged 13.8x in the second round and got a 10.43 single. The 10.43 felt great, and it's also the 2nd fastest solve in the US! Still, this round was a little disappointing, because my times were low 12, 10.43, mid 12, and then two 16s. I had a shot at NR, but those 16s (especially the second one) killed it. My average in the final was somewhere around 13.10. My solves were 11.09, 15.xx (+2), 13.12, 12.xx, 14.xx. Obviously, I wasn't very happy about that +2, but I did something even dumber on the 13.12. I got to PLL and saw a bar of 3 and thought it was an F perm. I did the first part of the F perm (U' R' U R U' R2) and just as I am about to do that rotation, I realize that the PLL was actually an edge cycle. So I undo that much and do the right PLL this time and get a 13.12. If I would have just done the edge cycle first, that solve would have easily been 10.xx. So if I didn't mess that up and I didn't get that +2, I could have NR again. But, it happens, and even with the dumb mistakes I still feel I had a good final round. I wasn't nearly as shaky as I usually am, so I was able to get some decent times. I just have to wait till the Da Vinci competition to have a shot at the NR again.

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
13.10 with all these mistakes! I'm sure you'll get NAR, not just NR next time Jason! I hate those +2s and PLL recognition mistake! That's what happened to me in WC, I thought I had N perm, so I did it, half way I realized it's not, but my hands kept moving, and I had to do J perm afterwards(ended up with 15s), it could've been 12s easily, and my average would've been sub 13 (I'd be second haha).

For some reason, I just can't get 11.31--in Toronto Open Fall, I had U perm, and I over spun, so it was DNF. In C3, I had G perm, but I did the wrong AUF (U' instead of U2), so it was 11.31+2 (13.31).

WCA
2008LIVE01
I agree with everyone here, the competition was amazing.

It was cool to meet some of the people that I've only heard of/talked to online before. Oh, and I owned Siraj at 3x3 and 3x3 OH...

It was cool to meet lotsofsloths, I'm proud of him for making it into the final round of 3x3.

Some other funny things: Bob Burton was hilarious, and a bit odd...

I want to congratulate Chris Hardwick on breaking the 5x5 record during my 4x4 solve (I swear that's why it was so slow!)

I think one of the most hilarious things was the final results. I was saying all day long that Jason Baum was gonna win 3x3, but I had to go home early (dad was bored from sitting around) so I didn't know who won. The results finally come up, and whadda ya know? Jason won, lol. I feel special.

H

hdskull

Jason got a 13.37 but it was a +2.

Congratz anyway, on the good average.

MistArts

Great competition! I didn't do any great solves but it was very fun! I got to see Dan Cohen's amazing Rubik's 4x4. It's so much better than any Eastsheen. I don't see anything special about the Edison cube though. Can't tell the difference between that and a regular DIY. Tim's CRC spray was amazing. Congratulations on pyraminx and clock NARs! Chris is too amazing. another 5x5 BLD WR and 32 move FMC. (I got 48).

I got 43 on FMC but wrote y instead of y'.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel

You are Chinese, right?
Then you gave me the NR. :)
But next competition, I'm going to get nice at the commutators and get sub-40. I think I can do it.

MistArts

You are Chinese, right?
Then you gave me the NR. :)
But next competition, I'm going to get nice at the commutators and get sub-40. I think I can do it.

Don't care about NR. I might learn some extra stuff and get AsR(37). What's your best solve btw? Mine was 28. :)