• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Video] Roux as a Beginner Method

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was talking to Alex (Maass, not Lau) about this before and I think it could be good. CO would all be 2-gen, and CP would be much shorter.

CO will be more moves sometimes, but I think it could be worth it, since the OH CO algs I use for U/S/A/P/H are 2-gen anyway. It would just be T/L that were different.

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
More questions... From the videos from the beginning of the thread, at the last step, it seems like every case is where there are two yellow and one white on top and bottom. But most of the time, I don't get that. I think I'm missing something. I almost always get something like the pictures, and I just randomly do M, M', and U2 moves until something works. One picture is of the top, and the other is the bottom.

Any insights?

And, could someone point me in the direction of learning CMLL for the roux method? Thanks!roux problem top.jpgroux problem bottom.jpg

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
More questions... From the videos from the beginning of the thread, at the last step, it seems like every case is where there are two yellow and one white on top and bottom. But most of the time, I don't get that. I think I'm missing something. I almost always get something like the pictures, and I just randomly do M, M', and U2 moves until something works. One picture is of the top, and the other is the bottom.

Any insights?

And, could someone point me in the direction of learning CMLL for the roux method? Thanks!View attachment 5889View attachment 5890

your problem is that you haven't fully finished edge orientation. Watch this video and this one and look at this.

For CMLL, everything you will need to know is explained in this video and there are a bunch of useful links in the description.

Looks like I'm reviving a mostly dead topic. My apologies in advance. I read through the entire thread, at least.

Someone pointed this video series out to me. Didn't realize it was made by someone on the forums. Thanks DeeDub.

I'm transitioning from a variation of the beginner's method to this. And hopefully eventually, I'll transition from this to a true Roux.

It's been super helpful. I'm not efficient at block building, but it's so much more fun than LBL. I was getting stuck on the last two steps, but I think I've finally figured it out. A couple dozen more test solves will let me know if I really am getting it, or if I'm getting lucky.

From here, I'll probably tackle 2 look CMLL, and then go through either lubixcube's tutorial or waffle's. Both look helpful.

GymsharK

Hey @DeeDubb , Thanks for the advice. I have started playing with cube about 3 days ago and found your roux beginner guide. Trust me . I never tried FCOP beginner method so don't know how it is but your method is amazing. I have learn each and every steps and performing in certain minutes.

Can you please give me a road map that till what PB I should do this method only and then what should I learn next and then how to track stuff and then what next like that ? I will really appreciate it if you can give me some guidance with your experience.

Thanks in advanced tho.

Cheers and keep spinning !

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Hey @DeeDubb , Thanks for the advice. I have started playing with cube about 3 days ago and found your roux beginner guide. Trust me . I never tried FCOP beginner method so don't know how it is but your method is amazing. I have learn each and every steps and performing in certain minutes.

Can you please give me a road map that till what PB I should do this method only and then what should I learn next and then how to track stuff and then what next like that ? I will really appreciate it if you can give me some guidance with your experience.

Thanks in advanced tho.

Cheers and keep spinning !
I'm not @DeeDubb, but congrats on learning.

Regarding the road map, that is a bad idea. With a beginner method like this, it is far more important to be able to perform all of the steps confidently without hesitation than to be able to solve the cube in a certain time. Focus on being able to do each step without mistakes, and speed will come naturally.

I'd recommend the following steps, although others might recommend a different order:
  1. Get comfortable with the method as you currently use it.
  2. Learn the algorithms for 2-look CMLL. Learn one algorithm at a time and make sure you're comfortable using it before learning the next one.
  3. Try be more efficient when solving the last 6 edges. Take note of places where you have to repeat the same thing over and over and try work out ways to improve that. You can look stuff up online for this step, but I feel it's better to work things out by trying moves and noting what they do.
  4. Work on more efficient ways to solve the first two blocks. Once again, it's better to try work things out yourself than to look things up. Try to use as few moves possible.
  5. Try to plan out as many moves as you can before you start solving. Do it in this order
    1. Plan the moves to build a 2x2x1 square
    2. Plan the 2x2x1 square, but trace how those moves will affect the corner that you will need to use to finish the first block
    3. Plan the 2x2x1 square and trace where both the corner and edge will land up one you build the square
    4. Plan the 2x2x1 square, then plan his you will pair the corner and edge to complete the first block
    5. Plan out the entire first block
  6. Learn 1 look CMLL. At this point it helps to learn algorithms in batches of 2 or 4 at a time. You'll know when you're ready.
  7. Improve LSE efficiency, influence one step while doing the next.
After this point, you will know enough Roux to be able to get sub 10 second solves, but whether or not you do will depend entirely on how much practice you put in.

Make sure you are completely comfortable with each step before moving onto the next one. If you ever find you're making mistakes with previous steps, it means you aren't ready to move on and should go back and practice the previous step.

GymsharK

I'm not @DeeDubb, but congrats on learning.

Regarding the road map, that is a bad idea. With a beginner method like this, it is far more important to be able to perform all of the steps confidently without hesitation than to be able to solve the cube in a certain time. Focus on being able to do each step without mistakes, and speed will come naturally.

I'd recommend the following steps, although others might recommend a different order:
  1. Get comfortable with the method as you currently use it.
  2. Learn the algorithms for 2-look CMLL. Learn one algorithm at a time and make sure you're comfortable using it before learning the next one.
  3. Try be more efficient when solving the last 6 edges. Take note of places where you have to repeat the same thing over and over and try work out ways to improve that. You can look stuff up online for this step, but I feel it's better to work things out by trying moves and noting what they do.
  4. Work on more efficient ways to solve the first two blocks. Once again, it's better to try work things out yourself than to look things up. Try to use as few moves possible.
  5. Try to plan out as many moves as you can before you start solving. Do it in this order
    1. Plan the moves to build a 2x2x1 square
    2. Plan the 2x2x1 square, but trace how those moves will affect the corner that you will need to use to finish the first block
    3. Plan the 2x2x1 square and trace where both the corner and edge will land up one you build the square
    4. Plan the 2x2x1 square, then plan his you will pair the corner and edge to complete the first block
    5. Plan out the entire first block
  6. Learn 1 look CMLL. At this point it helps to learn algorithms in batches of 2 or 4 at a time. You'll know when you're ready.
  7. Improve LSE efficiency, influence one step while doing the next.
After this point, you will know enough Roux to be able to get sub 10 second solves, but whether or not you do will depend entirely on how much practice you put in.

Make sure you are completely comfortable with each step before moving onto the next one. If you ever find you're making mistakes with previous steps, it means you aren't ready to move on and should go back and practice the previous step.

Really thanks for the great descriptive advice @AlphaSheep. As it's just a first week of mine with a cube , I will update you once I will be bellow 2 minutes at list with Beginners' method + 2look CMLL in upcoming days.
Appreciate your time and suggestions.

what about your glorious V perm? or ryans overpowered E perm?
Hey as you guys suggested I started to learn 2-look CMLL but I am confused with 2 things.

1) waffle's guide advises to use J-perm for ADJ-Swaps and Not-N perm for DIAG-Swaps . But here you guys were talking about so many other like Y-perm , V-perm, N-perm, E-perm etc. So what should I need to learn?
2)As I have explained earlier , I have learned from @DeeDubb 's method for any permutations that every time take those two corners which I want and set on the L plane. Do [R U' L' U R' U L] until I get the right result A[BOY] , B[GOY], C[GRY], D[BRY] on the corners clockwise. So what perm is that and for what should I go now?

2) This permutation algorithms have X and X' notation for which I don't know how to perform so please guide.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teoidus

Really thanks for the great descriptive advice @AlphaSheep. As it's just a first week of mine with a cube , I will update you once I will be bellow 2 minutes at list with Beginners' method + 2look CMLL in upcoming days.
Appreciate your time and suggestions.

Hey as you guys suggested I started to learn 2-look CMLL but I am confused with 2 things.

1) waffle's guide advises to use J-perm for ADJ-Swaps and Not-N perm for DIAG-Swaps . But here you guys were talking about so many other like Y-perm , V-perm, N-perm, E-perm etc. So what should I need to learn?
2)As I have explained earlier , I have learned from @DeeDubb 's method for any permutations that every time take those two corners which I want and set on the L plane. Do [R U' L' U R' U L] until I get the right result A[BOY] , B[GOY], C[GRY], D[BRY] on the corners clockwise. So what perm is that and for what should I go now?

2) This permutation algorithms have X and X' notation for which I don't know how to perform so please guide.

Thanks in advance.

1) You need two algorithms: most people use J (= R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R') and Y (F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F'). Some however use J (same as above) and E (x' R U' R' D R U R' D' R U R' D R U' R' D' x)
2) That algorithm is called a Niklas and will permute corners, but will also disorient them if you have already oriented them. It's a different way of solving the U layer corners. DeeDubb and Waffle's methods are mutually exclusive. (But if you learn advanced algorithms, the Niklas will become useful later on)

2. x and x' are rotations. x = L' R M' and x' = L R' M.

GymsharK

1) You need two algorithms: most people use J (= R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R') and Y (F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F'). Some however use J (same as above) and E (x' R U' R' D R U R' D' R U R' D R U' R' D' x)
2) That algorithm is called a Niklas and will permute corners, but will also disorient them if you have already oriented them. It's a different way of solving the U layer corners. DeeDubb and Waffle's methods are mutually exclusive. (But if you learn advanced algorithms, the Niklas will become useful later on)

2. x and x' are rotations. x = L' R M' and x' = L R' M.

Thanks for the reply bro.

Yea it seems may be for the beginners' method @DeeDubb teaches first how to permute the corners with NIKLAS and then orientation everytime only with SUNE till we get the four yellows on top. I can understand that his motive is to teach that how to solve a puzzle and it's helpful but it's time-consuming with only 1 algorithm (SUNE) to orientate it till we get 4 yellows on top.

1) I've just seen Donovan's videos as well so I will now practice to orientate UL first (with 7 cases) and then permute it (J-perm & Y-perm) as you have suggested.

2) Thanks for this x and x' clarification as well. I can't believe that a week ago I don't even know to just solve this cube puzzle and now this community is so friendly and helpful, I am learning so many interesting things pretty quickly.

Kristalghost

Hello @DeeDubb, I just created this account because I wanted to thank you for these tutorials. I'm a beginner in CFOP and wanted to try something more intuitive, hence Roux. I coudn't make head nor tails from waffle cube's guide or parts of it at least. I followed your guide and can now do the solve without aid. I'm about to start expanding to it with Waffle's tutorial now. Thanks for the great tutorial, I think you got me hooked on Roux! And apparently I'll have to read the posts in here to.

fatymid

I'd like to learn this method, but I encounter a lot of troubles on the right block. Usually, corners do not match and when I manage to put them correctly, the edge is misplaced and it goes like trading - either corner or edge is well placed. Is there any resource that I can use for simple algorithms?

Jlvs2run

I encounter a lot of troubles on the right block. Usually, corners do not match

That means they need to be solved. Donovan's block videos http://tinyurl.com/ljkyjuh were
helpful to me. I repeated the moves on 1/4 speed to see them, which is important when beginning.

when I manage to put them correctly, the edge is misplaced and it goes like trading - either corner or edge is well placed. Is there any resource that I can use for simple algorithms?

You don't need algs for 2nd block. Just keep practicing the moves.
This block trainer http://cubegrass.appspot.com/block_trainer/ has helpful examples.

Last edited:

Jlvs2run

it's time-consuming with only 1 algorithm (SUNE) to orientate it till we get 4 yellows on top.

There are 4 cases with Anti-sune, and 3 cases with Sune. According to my calculations the average Niklas plus Anti-sune / Sune move count is [ 7 + 10.5 ] 17.5, compared to Anti-sune / Sune plus J / Y perm being [ 10.5 + 15 ] 25.5. I tried the second method last year for awhile and found it to be slower, plus more complicated.