• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Using spaces repetition systems for memorizing large alg sets

Samuel Baird

WCA
2016BAIR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Recently I have been using Anki, a spaced repetition system (SRS), to learn and review 3style algs. I had tried learning 3style previously but had multiple issues that using SRS has solved. I would highly recommend trying it out to learn algs for those who don’t want to sit down for long amounts of time drilling algs from a list.

What is SRS?
Spaced repetition (SRS) is a learning technique that is usually performed with flashcards. Newly introduced and more difficult flashcards are shown more frequently, while older and less difficult flashcards are shown less frequently in order to exploit the psychological spacing effect. The use of spaced repetition has been proven to increase the rate of learning. Read more on Wikipedia

Advantages :
1. You don’t have to worry about which algs you should review each day, instead the app chooses for you.
2. The goal isn’t to have an alg hard committed to memory but rather to soft commit it and strengthen it over time, a much more comfortable and natural approach to learning algs.
3. Apps are easy to use and save your progress, making short spurts of learning and review throughout the day very simple and time efficient.

My process:
1. Create a list of algs
2. Choose a number of algs to be learned every day
3. Every day, create your flashcards for the day. For 3style I use letter pairs on the front of the card and the alg on the back. For other events and you can include an image of the puzzle and/or the name of the alg on the front with the alg on the back.
4. Throughout the day review your cards by trying to do the alg on a cube before seeing the back of the card. If you can’t do the alg then flip the card, follow along with the alg, and choose to see the card again soon. Once you can do the alg without looking on the back of the card then select to see the card tomorrow.

If you have any questions about SRS or using Anki then let me know!

Attachments

• 4B6A65CB-D93F-4EDA-807B-5F4B703575B3.png
    4B6A65CB-D93F-4EDA-807B-5F4B703575B3.png
    266.5 KB · Views: 2

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sounds good.

How successful have you been in using Anki consistently?
Do you think you can do improvements in your Anki deck in order to revise more information for 3-style algs.

BTW, I have made an Anki deck for UF5 algs, its a cool process.

Samuel Baird

WCA
2016BAIR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been pretty active about doing it daily so it's worked out pretty well :)

I'm not really sure that I could improve my current process with anki any more :p outside of what I already mentioned in this thread I will occasionally do a review of my whole anki deck just to make sure everything is solid

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
this was discussed before

anyway, good luck on your progress