• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Unofficial Official WCA Events Thread: Discussion and results spreadsheet

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I found out a few months ago that the Siamese Cubes and Rainbow Cube were official WCA events before 2007, but their results apparently have never been archived.
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/history/files/regulations_history2010.html
1546206431083.png

I however tried to find former results using the Wayback Machine, by going to the rankings page right before the events were removed.

By getting to the WCA website homepage's first useful capture (july 15th, 2005), I see a "World ranking" link, I click it.
Rankings page from 2005-11-01:
1546206536964.png Siamese Cubes (highlighted) are part of the list (such as Rubik's Magic and Rubik's Master Magic), but the Rainbow Cube is interestingly lacking. I decide to search for Siamese Cubes results first.

Clicking on "Best" then "Average", I discover that none of these pages are available! The next capture from february 2006 (which actuelly seems to be from 2004) doesn't work either. I'll try to find them via other means.

Back to the homepage, I get to the next capture and see a new link: "World records". I again click it. I search in the following page the only like to a competition (one of the only working links), World Championships 2007 (I remind that I'm trying to find at least 1 list of results from before january 1st, 2007!)
I manually change the URL to show the WC2003, and find the oldest capture: june 27th, 2007. I can't find results on the WCA website. Next step: clicking the "competition website" link, getting me to Speedcubing.com page, I see a link for that event, click it...
1546207456520.png
Only result I can find. I can't find WC2005 by just changing the URL.

Using the same method, I can only find unofficial official results for speed-blind for 2005.
1546207781143.png

I decided to create a database of all unofficial official events results. It will include former events (Rainbow Cube, Siamese Cubes, 3x3x3 No inspection, etc.), but also recent events (like Kilominx).
After @Kit Clement giving me a link for some information, I decided to create a spreadsheet before creating the database.
I'm currently rolling through all results to add them to the spreadsheet, so it's completely incomplete right now and may take weeks to finish.

Spreadsheet link (Google sheets): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hjg51l1KMgAR0GNZgdo_-bxBj6hxcH8WPhIWzja1ipQ/edit?usp=sharing
Note: kilominx results won’t be added

Last edited:

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Was skewb also competed in back then? It's listed as an event in the above screenshot.

For a long time, WCA had no set event list. If you look at the 2006 regulations, you notice a similar format to today in Article 9 with all the different types of formats for each event, but back then there was this regulation:

2006 regulations said:
9d) For other events the format is decided by the organiser of the competition. Where applicable the preferred formats should be used as a guideline.

The regulations acknowledged that there could be other events at competitions, and that the organizers had to determine what the format should be. They also had to show the board the scrambler they planned to use to be sure that the scrambles would be of high enough quality.

For some reason, around 2007, events were limited to those existing in the regulations. I don't know their exact reasoning, but it likely had to do with the fact that the board could not easily determine whether new scrambling programs for new events were of a high enough quality, and it helped create a more common experience at competitions, especially major competitions.

Any results in events that did not make the standard list were moved to speedcubing.com as an archive, and for a few years it became the de-facto database for unofficial events held at official competitions. Some of the results in that database were actually WCA recognized at one point, but others were just unofficial solves at official comps. So that's why you see Skewb in there, because it was likely held unofficially but at an official competition, but maybe it was at a comp in 2006 or earlier!

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Skewb was added 4 years ago, so I do not think so. It was only added there for unknown reasons I guess.
Have you read Kit's post? Skewb was held at multiple competitions before 2007. Then, when the WCA made its events list, skewb was declared unofficial and its results too. Only in 2014 it became official, but that wasn't retroactive.

stormtrooper

WCA
2019POTO01
Have you read Kit's post? Skewb was held at multiple competitions before 2007. Then, when the WCA made its events list, skewb was declared unofficial and its results too. Only in 2014 it became official, but that wasn't retroactive.
But if it was an unofficial event, did anyone win anything from it? Because I have no clue if anyone got anything from just winning an unofficial event.

stormtrooper

WCA
2019POTO01
Well these events were considered as much official as the others, until 2007 (when a clear list was made).
Wait... In 2010 Monkeydude1313 won the Skewb event at an competition and got first place along with an OUWR (Official Unofficial World Record) with a time on 6.33 seconds, I think the competition was official.

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait... In 2010 Monkeydude1313 won the Skewb event at an competition and got first place along with an OUWR (Official Unofficial World Record) with a time on 6.33 seconds, I think the competition was official.
Kilominx is organized in many official competitions, but the results for that event are unofficial

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone have other results? I mean, if the kilominx are well-organized, I can only very rarely find results for the Redi Cube.
Also: does someone have the unofficial skewb results before 2014 mentionned in these WCA forum posts?1546425002393.png

Emma2248

I found out a few months ago that the Siamese Cubes and Rainbow Cube were official WCA events before 2007, but their results apparently have never been archived.
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/history/files/regulations_history2010.html
View attachment 9841

I however tried to find former results using the Wayback Machine, by going to the rankings page right before the events were removed.

By getting to the WCA website homepage's first useful capture (july 15th, 2005), I see a "World ranking" link, I click it.
Rankings page from 2005-11-01:
View attachment 9842 Siamese Cubes (highlighted) are part of the list (such as Rubik's Magic and Rubik's Master Magic), but the Rainbow Cube is interestingly lacking. I decide to search for Siamese Cubes results first.

Clicking on "Best" then "Average", I discover that none of these pages are available! The next capture from february 2006 (which actuelly seems to be from 2004) doesn't work either. I'll try to find them via other means.

Back to the homepage, I get to the next capture and see a new link: "World records". I again click it. I search in the following page the only like to a competition (one of the only working links), World Championships 2007 (I remind that I'm trying to find at least 1 list of results from before january 1st, 2007!)
I manually change the URL to show the WC2003, and find the oldest capture: june 27th, 2007. I can't find results on the WCA website. Next step: clicking the "competition website" link, getting me to Speedcubing.com page, I see a link for that event, click it...
View attachment 9843
Only result I can find. I can't find WC2005 by just changing the URL.

Using the same method, I can only find unofficial official results for speed-blind for 2005.
View attachment 9844

I decided to create a database of all unofficial official events results. It will include former events (Rainbow Cube, Siamese Cubes, 3x3x3 No inspection, etc.), but also recent events (like Kilominx).
After @Kit Clement giving me a link for some information, I decided to create a spreadsheet before creating the database.
I'm currently rolling through all results to add them to the spreadsheet, so it's completely incomplete right now and may take weeks to finish.

Spreadsheet link (Google sheets): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hjg51l1KMgAR0GNZgdo_-bxBj6hxcH8WPhIWzja1ipQ/edit?usp=sharing
Note: kilominx results won’t be added

Do you have a guide or a key to what events are listed? Some of them I can't tell what they are. Like there's 222OH (One-handed 2x2) But some of them I can't tell what the event is.