• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

UK Open 2009

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is a 6 second average good with only the fridrich method?
3s avg with EG is what you'll be competing with ;)
I'm about to begin practicing INSANE amounts.
You're also competing against my blazing 20s Ortega solves :eek: so don't worry about looking crap and coming last in competition - I got that covered!

James Ludlow

Premium Member
WCA
2009LUDL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is a 6 second average good with only the fridrich method?
3s avg with EG is what you'll be competing with ;)
I'm about to begin practicing INSANE amounts.
You're also competing against my blazing 20s Ortega solves :eek: so don't worry about looking crap and coming last in competition - I got that covered!

No, Michael, I'm afraid that honour should, and most probably will be bestowed upon my little brother who won't learn T-perm.

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The schedule is rather odd, particularly 4x4 + 5x5, and a 5:00 time limit for BLD... I'd better get practicing :p

I'm really excited about 2x2 and 3x3 though :D

5mins time limit for BLD is crazy. That's like 2 people in the UK isn't it lol.

I guess if you are longer you won't get three attempts. Fair enough. Pleased about semi :)

Last edited:

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I guess if you are longer you won't get three attempts. Fair enough. Pleased about semi :)

Yeah, I'm so happy that more people will get the opportunity to do more than just 5 solves:)

I think I'm definitely gonna have to speed up my BLD, I DNF about 90% of the time, and I'm around 4-6min. My memo has been 100% correct so far, just my execution for M2 and CP is terrible...

2x2 @ 9:30 in the morning :eek: :fp

... think I'm gonna need my Wheetabix!

Heh, it'll be fine, my 2nd 3x3 of the day last competition was my official PB ;)

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The schedule is rather odd, particularly 4x4 + 5x5, and a 5:00 time limit for BLD... I'd better get practicing :p

Whoa, 5 minute time limit for BLD ??

I can sub-5 (sometimes sub-4) but only when I'm in the comfort of my own home with no pressure. I might need longer in a competition and 5 minutes seems pretty tight. Why not impose a stackmat limit?

How will the time limit work? What if my first solve is DNF?

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yeah, I'm so happy that more people will get the opportunity to do more than just 5 solves:)

I think I'm definitely gonna have to speed up my BLD, I DNF about 90% of the time, and I'm around 4-6min. My memo has been 100% correct so far, just my execution for M2 and CP is terrible...

2x2 @ 9:30 in the morning :eek: :fp

... think I'm gonna need my Wheetabix!

Heh, it'll be fine, my 2nd 3x3 of the day last competition was my official PB ;)

Early rounds that matter to you are always a fine line between needing a lot of caffeine/sugar to be awake, but not so much that you shake. Good luck to all :p

My memo was 100% in my last comp WTF?! but I am so out of practise it was two 8 minute solves. I don't mind if I only get one attempt, it's just awesome to get a BLD solve under your belt. I don't really have time to dedicate to improving BLD right now, so I will just have to make my one solve count!

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Whoa, 5 minute time limit for BLD ??

I can sub-5 (sometimes sub-4) but only when I'm in the comfort of my own home with no pressure. I might need longer in a competition and 5 minutes seems pretty tight. Why not impose a stackmat limit?

How will the time limit work? What if my first solve is DNF?

Sorry double post, don't flame me.

The time limit will work in that if you are over the time that's fine but you can't do another solve ( I would imagine) That's how it has been at other competitions for events such as 7x7. If you don't stackmat it for example, then you don't do an average. The reason for not imposing a stackmat limit for each BLD is that if you do three, then that's at LEAST 30 minutes of a person doing their solves, not counting the time they need to wait for a free table, scrambling/brain emptying. I think it's fair enough to have a time limit. It seems a bit low considering I think there are only four sub 5 in competition BLD solvers in the UK, and with me being one of them and being able to say I won't sub 5, that narrows it even more.

The memo conditions at UK Open last year were hard, there was bloody music on. Robbie Williams is fine when you are drunk in a pub waving your arms around people you've never met on new year's eve and fancy a bit of a hooligan-esque sing song, but when you want to memo correctly, not so hot.

MrMoney

WCA
2009SULE01
Manchester Open 2009: Anyone from the forum going there?

Hi guys, firstly I appologize if this is posted in the wrong subforum!

I am going to the Manchester Open competition 7th of november, and would really like to meet up with fellow cubers the day before. Anyone up for it?

I would also like to ask if anyone is bring a filmcamera, and would be so kind as to film my solves for a compensation of some nice $$$. I am a really slow cuber (Solving for 6months, average of about 36seconds 2handed) but I want to have some memories from my first compo :)

Let me know if you are up for it!

Money