• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

UK Championship 2016 - 4-6 November - Bristol, UK

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the plan for judges for MBLD? Usually I ask someone in advance. This time, anyone there on Friday is going to be competing themselves. Or organising, and I doubt the organisers will be able to judge everyone...
Bumping this. Really the question is just whether competitors should make their own judge arrangements in advance (like bring someone) or whether we can just trust it will be alright on the night.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
MBLD can struggle for judges when it's held at lunchtime when there are lots of people around. Last time I competed then judged as I finished quite early. It'll be interesting to see how they cope here.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
Now that the schedule is up, I'm just curious as to why the cutoff time for 2x2 is 5:00, when the cutoff for 5x5 is only 2:15? When the 2x2 is obviously a much easier puzzle, I'm sure most people could solve it under 30 seconds.

Neptunolium

WCA
2016JOHN07
Now that the schedule is up, I'm just curious as to why the cutoff time for 2x2 is 5:00, when the cutoff for 5x5 is only 2:15? When the 2x2 is obviously a much easier puzzle, I'm sure most people could solve it under 30 seconds.
I believe it is just the fact that 2x2 is a more popular event, so the cutoff will be higher to give everyone a chance to be in the next round, although it is weird why 2x2 is the same cutoff as 3x3 as 3x3 is more popular and harder.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
The purpose of cutoffs is to save time at the comp. Only 43 of 93 competitors in 5x5 have achieved sub-2:15 official averages before. So let's guess that half the competitors make the cutoff. The total number of solves done will be 70% of what it would have been with no cutoff (half do 5 solves, half do 2 solves). The organisers have already allocated 1.5 hours for those 70% so with no cutoff they'd presumably have to allocate at least 1 hour more for the round.

On the other hand, 2x2 solves don't take long and less time would be saved by a harsher cutoff. The cutoff really just makes sure that in the extreme case that someone really does take 5+ minutes to solve it, they don't tie up a timer station for another 15+ minutes.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
The purpose of cutoffs is to save time at the comp. Only 43 of 93 competitors in 5x5 have achieved sub-2:15 official averages before. So let's guess that half the competitors make the cutoff. The total number of solves done will be 70% of what it would have been with no cutoff (half do 5 solves, half do 2 solves). The organisers have already allocated 1.5 hours for those 70% so with no cutoff they'd presumably have to allocate at least 1 hour more for the round.

On the other hand, 2x2 solves don't take long and less time would be saved by a harsher cutoff. The cutoff really just makes sure that in the extreme case that someone really does take 5+ minutes to solve it, they don't tie up a timer station for another 15+ minutes.

I guess that makes sense as they have only have so much time to allocate to each event. Also after reading it again I realise that the cut-off is different from the time limit. So if I understand correctly on 5x5 for example, you could spend ~4 minutes on 2 solves without them stopping you half way through your solve. And then they would only stop you if you go over 5 minutes (the time limit). I see how that could take up a lot more time.

I better get practising if I want to make the cut-off for 4x4 and 5x5 as I'm currently average around 1:45 and 3:00 minutes respectively :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I better get practising if I want to make the cut-off for 4x4 and 5x5 as I'm currently average around 1:45 and 3:00 minutes respectively :)
I used to gripe about how harsh the 5x5 cutoff was and I thought I was 2-3 years away from meeting it. Then I decided to just go for it and after a couple of months of doing nothing but 5x5 I got an average at my next comp. It just takes hard work, but that makes it all the more satisfying when you eventually get that average. Go for it!

BillyRain

Premium Member
WCA
2012JEFF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry for the artwork competition, there were some really great ideas and we'd like to thank you all for taking the time to give it a shot.

I present to you the winning entry!

image.png

The winning designer has chosen to remain anonymous.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry for the artwork competition, there were some really great ideas and we'd like to thank you all for taking the time to give it a shot.

I present to you the winning entry!

image.png

The winning designer has chosen to remain anonymous.
They should take the glory. That's excellent.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With regards to cutoffs:
The main motivation is to save time. That means stricter cutoffs for 4x4 and 5x5. Without those cutoffs, we'd probably not have time for any subsequent rounds.
A secondary consideration is how to cater for newcomers, hence nice and easy ones for 2x2, that won't take too much time anyway.
3x3 is somewhere in between the 2 reasonings.

Multibld: Bringing your own judge is going to be necessary (unless you really can't find anyone). Those available can judge multiple competitors during inspection phase as well. Some people will finish Fewest Moves before long as well and can help with holding card during execution. We'll cope :)

NevinsCPH

WCA
2010CHAN20
YouTube
Visit Channel
With regards to cutoffs:
The main motivation is to save time. That means stricter cutoffs for 4x4 and 5x5. Without those cutoffs, we'd probably not have time for any subsequent rounds.
A secondary consideration is how to cater for newcomers, hence nice and easy ones for 2x2, that won't take too much time anyway.
3x3 is somewhere in between the 2 reasonings.

Multibld: Bringing your own judge is going to be necessary (unless you really can't find anyone). Those available can judge multiple competitors during inspection phase as well. Some people will finish Fewest Moves before long as well and can help with holding card during execution. We'll cope :)

Don't think I'll be able to find a judge seeing how people who would be there on Friday night are probably either doing MBLD or FMC. Hopefully people will finish FMC before memo finish as said!

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Id
Don't think I'll be able to find a judge seeing how people who would be there on Friday night are probably either doing MBLD or FMC. Hopefully people will finish FMC before memo finish as said!
I'd have been happy to judge you after my solves as I did in Macclesfield but unfortunately I can't get there for Friday. I have a one night limit away from the family.