• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Toronto Open, Fall 2015 - Biggest 1-day WCA competition!

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
canadiancubing's organization is on point. I wasnt there (wish I was!) but being able to pull off a 1-day comp with that many people is insane (smart move only having 6 events).
We were off schedule by like an hour after all the first rounds, but that amount decreased during the later rounds when there were less people. I think by the end we were late by about 40 minutes or so, but still it was pretty well done.

Dave Campbell

WCA
2005CAMP01
YouTube
canadiancubing
From what I heard, the execution of the competition was a joint effort of both Dave Campbell and James Hildreth. They each ran a separate room in the YMCA with their own equipment, as no room in that building could host that many competitors. That gave them 20+ stations, which is more than enough to serve 250 people for the day.
The execution should be credited to more like 20 people. James and I acted as co-delegates and made sure things moved along. But its success came from the organizing work that was done before we ever set food in the venue.

We had 16 timers in total. James' equipment definitely helped us make it possible, and I am super grateful for his involvement as well as all my staff and the countless volunteers. It was a community effort. Our community is one of the best in the world, and we proved that at this competition.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Sa967St
From what I heard, the execution of the competition was a joint effort of both Dave Campbell and James Hildreth. They each ran a separate room in the YMCA with their own equipment, as no room in that building could host that many competitors. That gave them 20+ stations, which is more than enough to serve 250 people for the day.
There were actually only 10 stations in the auditorium, and 6 stations in the "side room", which were the amounts that each room could reasonably fit lined up in a row. There were 3 scrambling stations instead of the usual 2, and each were assigned to 5-6 timing stations instead of the usual 4.

In addition to canadiancubing's amazing organization and management skills and James being there to co-delegate, what helped tremendously were all the full-time and part-time volunteers. On top of the usual volunteers, plenty of family members of competitors wanted to help out, so we kept finding more ways in which they could help. We had 3-4 runners for every scrambling station instead of the usual 2, including one whose job was to bring the cubes from the drop-off area to the scrambling station. The only thing we were really lacking were cube covers, because 10-12 per scrambling station wasn't enough to keep up with the scramblers. :)

Edit: Ninja'd. Oh well, I'm not deleting this post. :p

Last edited:

AlyssaExpress

WCA
2014ESPA01
The execution should be credited to more like 20 people. James and I acted as co-delegates and made sure things moved along. But its success came from the organizing work that was done before we ever set food in the venue.

We had 16 timers in total. James' equipment definitely helped us make it possible, and I am super grateful for his involvement as well as all my staff and the countless volunteers. It was a community effort. Our community is one of the best in the world, and we proved that at this competition.
I second this!! The Canadian cubing community is seriously AMAZING... we definitely introduced all 120+ first timer competitors to how awesome the cubing community is yesterday! :)

ps.. @cement comments: omg. why is that even a thing?! #BillDrinksCement #ThatsWhyHesFast?

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
DYK:

"The only reason I come to competitions is to stop you from winning"
"I have two hands, why should I practice with just one?"

- Bill Wang

Also: Sipping cement with straws nearly is impossible
Supposedly somebody asked Bill to sign his a**, and he replied with something along the lines of "it's too small to sign". I wasn't there since I was watching the people underneath us play basketball, but my friend was there and he heard it.

Genius4Jesus

WCA
2013ESPA01
YouTube
Genius4JesusCubing
TOF2015 was a great competition! Thanks to everyone who helped out to make this competition possible!

DYK:
- OH podium is 4th in the world.
- Ray lost his 2x2 before finals.
- Then lost 2x2 finals.
- I got a 9.37 3x3 average.
- Now there are 3 Jonathan's who have an official 9.37 average.
- "Don't use that door."
- "You're not supposed to use that door."
- "Why did you go through that door?"
- Craig left early -_-
- TOF2015 and the organization team were awesome!

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Keroma03
DYK:
-I can only do well if I use someone else's cube?
-Somebody competed in both 2x2 and 3x3, and got better times in 3x3?
-Accidentally driving the wrong way down a one-way street?
-Antoine's name is actually spelled Antyoine?
-The straws provided were not strong enough to sip cement?

i swear to god if you nerds just used a spoon like you were supposed to
but cups are for drinking out of

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
KitClement

Of course -- I didn't mean to diminish the prep work that was done in order to pull off something like this. I imagine it was mostly you leading the printing/sorting of scorecards for a 250 person competition, which is not a fun task at all. Wish I could have been there to see it in action! Sounds like you all did a marvelous job handling this turnout.