• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

This is not acceptable…

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Hey everyone. Following the release of the Gan 13, I think that something needs to be done to keep these ever-increasing prices in check. The Gan 13 Maglev UV just dropped at 83.99 USD. In my mind, this is absolutely not okay.

We need to stop buying Gan cubes. I have been doing this since the release of the Gan 356 X, and I encourage you all to do it too. I understand that all the propaganda that Gan puts out may be tempting. I know that some collectors will want to add to their collection. I encourage you to refrain. I know that the fastest speedcubers in this community think it will make you faster. Even people my speed and slower think that it’ll make them faster. This is not true. There are plenty of cubes that arguably perform better than Gan cubes for about 25% of the price. (Weilong WR M 2021, Tornado v2, etc.) If you are my speed (to be blunt), your cube is not the problem (unless you’re using a very bad cube, in which case, please consider purchasing one of the cubes I mentioned above), your skill level is.

Even though our Speedsolving.com community may only make up a small part of the total cubing community, maybe, just maybe, we will be able to create a downwards curve in the prices of Gan cubes.

Thank you everyone for reading this rant (that would be labeled an “opinion article” on a news website), and I really hope that you all consider boycotting the new Gan 13s. Thanks again, and happy cubing.

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
Hey everyone. Following the release of the Gan 13, I think that something needs to be done to keep these ever-increasing prices in check. The Gan 13 Maglev UV just dropped at 83.99 USD. In my mind, this is absolutely not okay.

We need to stop buying Gan cubes. I have been doing this since the release of the Gan 356 X, and I encourage you all to do it too. I understand that all the propaganda that Gan puts out may be tempting. I know that some collectors will want to add to their collection. I encourage you to refrain. I know that the fastest speedcubers in this community think it will make you faster. Even people my speed and slower think that it’ll make them faster. This is not true. There are plenty of cubes that arguably perform better than Gan cubes for about 25% of the price. (Weilong WR M 2021, Tornado v2, etc.) If you are my speed (to be blunt), your cube is not the problem (unless you’re using a very bad cube, in which case, please consider purchasing one of the cubes I mentioned above), your skill level is.

Even though our Speedsolving.com community may only make up a small part of the total cubing community, maybe, just maybe, we will be able to create a downwards curve in the prices of Gan cubes.

Thank you everyone for reading this rant (that would be labeled an “opinion article” on a news website), and I really hope that you all consider boycotting the new Gan 13s. Thanks again, and happy cubing.
Okie but I never had the money in the first place.

#BuyMoyuCheap

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Who cares?

If you don't wanna pay that kind of money for a Gan cube, then simply don't. Like you said, plenty of great cubes exist for way less.
However, it doesn't matter if Gan wants to produce really expensive cubes. It's not like it harms you in any way. Just don't support their business if you don't like it. You better believe all these other companies would be charging those crazy high prices if they could. The profit margins are probably pretty high.

That said, Gan is at least doing new things in a more refined way, at least to me. Consider maglev (barring whether or not it makes a difference to performance) and the approach Gan took vs other companies for implementing it. AFAIK all the other companies basically just replaced the spring with a set of magnets and called it a day, while Gan placed magnets in an adjustable housing so that the distance between magnets could be made the exact same on every side. Quite a nice touch imo.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Agreed. It's inching toward triple the costs of other flagships, and it would be very nice if their cubes were cheaper. Sure, there is the "if you don't want to pay it don't buy it" argument, but some people legitimately can't pay it, and I think you're right about GAN going ridiculously above the normal price for not much if any performance change.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I agree.

Fortunately I have not purchased any Gan cube since 2015. Budget cubes from MoYu got so better and cheaper that I hoarded them instead.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Agreed. It's inching toward triple the costs of other flagships, and it would be very nice if their cubes were cheaper. Sure, there is the "if you don't want to pay it don't buy it" argument, but some people legitimately can't pay it, and I think you're right about GAN going ridiculously above the normal price for not much if any performance change.
Gan also releases later versions of their cubes than remove extra features most people won't even adjust to meet more affordable price points. Factor in discount codes and sales and it becomes quite easy to get a Gan cube at way less than their exorbitant retail prices.

Like I mentioned earlier, Gan at least innovates and brings to market new adjustable systems while most other companies are just iterating and the same features as previous cubes. There is going to be a naturally higher price tag to cover R&D.

At the end of the day, they are a business and don't owe people lower prices. The entire point is of course making profit and selling expensive cubes with large profit is what any cube company wants to do. Gan is just uniquely positioned where they can change those prices. There's always the less expensive versions for those that can't afford the absolute flagship cubes.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Gan also releases later versions of their cubes than remove extra features most people won't even adjust to meet more affordable price points. Factor in discount codes and sales and it becomes quite easy to get a Gan cube at way less than their exorbitant retail prices.
Agreed. I got a Gan 11 M Duo for $22, which is just a Gan 11 M Pro without adjustable magnets. I also got a Gan 12 Maglev for $54. Just wait for a sale or buy a less expensive version.

Also, only the new Gan cubes are crazy expensive. A Gan Air M (XS without adjustable magnets) is $25, and it's really good. (At least as good if not better than the WRM Maglev)

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Let's look at the 11 M Duo. $40+, more then any other 2020 flagship from any other brand, and not significantly better or different.
Like I mentioned earlier, Gan at least innovates and brings to market new adjustable systems while most other companies are just iterating and the same features as previous cubes. There is going to be a naturally higher price tag to cover R&D.
Sure, they might have some new innovation, but do those minor performance changes justify a x3 price?
At the end of the day, they are a business and don't owe people lower prices.
That's true, but at the same time any good company should know what their customers desire.
The entire point is of course making profit and selling expensive cubes with large profit is what any cube company wants to do. Gan is just uniquely positioned where they can change those prices.
Sure, they can change the prices, but inevitably as they keep going up things like this will happen to hopefully moderate them.
There's always the less expensive versions for those that can't afford the absolute flagship cubes.
Already addressed it. Even the toned downed versions are still double and triple the costs of other cubes.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Already addressed it. Even the toned downed versions are still double and triple the costs of other cubes.

"Double triple costs"

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

"Double triple costs"
We're talking about the recent 60, 70, 80+ dollar flagships. All of those are versions of the X, a cube from 2018?

Thom S.

Disagree
GAN wants to be the top brand being top of the line. Namely if you're the fastest, only a GAN will unlock all of your potential.
Now, if that is true is debatable. Sure, the GAN Feliks used bacl then would have been way faster than the Thunderclap V2 I still use, but do I care enough to have another 3x3? I didn't, so it wasn't on my radar.
Unfortunitly, there are always things too expensive for one. I'd love to get a formating table saw with 4x2 Meter capacity for my company but it costs 35k+ so the 4k 2.7x0.7 Meter capacity I bought in my apprenticeship for 4k has to do and a hobby woodworker buys one for 400.
GAN makes expensive cubes and you can get slightly less good cubes for way less. That's how it works in many things.
Quality makes price go up exponentially.
But 80€ and you can use the thing effectively forever doesn't seem that bad to me.

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
I would say that the price of new flagship cubes has inched up over the years. That’s one of the reasons I never got the gan 12.
Having said that, ik this is gonna be controversial. But with the way the world is, is 84$ today worth more than 78$ 1 year ago when the gan 12 came out? I don’t think so due to inflation. Btw I’m not trying to justify the price, but I think inflation was the factor that pushed it over 80.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01

Seriously why do you actually care so much if you are not buying their cubes in the first place. If you don't want to or can't afford one don't buy it. It's that simple really. There are many people who like GAN cubes and are happy to pay the price charged. If you believe that you get the performance you need from something cheaper then just buy that. Quit whining about the price.

This comes up every time GAN releases a new iteration of their flagship cube, and to be honest it's tiring and annoying. Just keep walking.

kubesolver

Premium Member
I rely don't get the hate...

The only reason to get angry at company for having unreasonably high prices is if they are doing so by abusing some form of monopoly. They don't. Rubik's do. Speedstack do.

Just don't buy gan cubes. There are plenty of quality cheaper options.

Make fun of people like me who buy those overpriced garbage cubes but don't hate on the company. Cone on