• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Price Is Right Competition

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
So, I think I'll probably need Adam's help with this, but the idea is to do a competition in Southern California, and then go to The Price Is Right afterwards because I think if you bring a group of 20, one person is guaranteed to get on the show. Of course, I think they film on weekdays so we would be a bit limited in who was able to go.

The other thing we would do (after researching that it's not already out there) is data mine the show. So we would come up with a product list and prices of every show that airs, and then also make a list of all the types of games and understand how to play optimal strategy for the games, and EV for all the situations.

For example... when you spin the big wheel, you actually get an extra spin if it doesn't go around all the way. The rule is usually for weak women, and these burly men like to show off by spinning the wheel very hard. WRONG! Take the first spin, and try to hit 100 just by going around once. If you miss, then you go ahead and do your second spin as hard as you can randomly.

So we would want to maximize all opportunities on the show. Anyway, I can try to find a date and book tickets for the show, and we can plan a small competition around that as well. I guarantee if 20 speed cubers showed up, we would get on the show, and the Rubik's Cube would be solved on the show as well.

UPDATE - you have to be 18 to go on the show.

Last edited:

moogra

I'll be in Southern California, but it really depends on where it is, what time (date). I'll admit I haven't done any research though.

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sounds like a fun idea, Tyson. I just turned 18 and my college schedule isn't all that hectic so I could definitely make it on a weekday.

I don't have much to suggest - just wanted to let it be known that I am interested if this does go to fruition. One thing, though, Friday would seem like a good day for this sort of thing. It's the end of the week so I would assume most people are able to get away with it. Not sure how much leeway we have in terms of determining exactly what day this competition happens on, though.

So, I think I'll probably need Adam's help with this, but the idea is to do a competition in Southern California, and then go to The Price Is Right afterwards because I think if you bring a group of 20, one person is guaranteed to get on the show. Of course, I think they film on weekdays so we would be a bit limited in who was able to go.

The other thing we would do (after researching that it's not already out there) is data mine the show. So we would come up with a product list and prices of every show that airs, and then also make a list of all the types of games and understand how to play optimal strategy for the games, and EV for all the situations.

For example... when you spin the big wheel, you actually get an extra spin if it doesn't go around all the way. The rule is usually for weak women, and these burly men like to show off by spinning the wheel very hard. WRONG! Take the first spin, and try to hit 100 just by going around once. If you miss, then you go ahead and do your second spin as hard as you can randomly.

So we would want to maximize all opportunities on the show. Anyway, I can try to find a date and book tickets for the show, and we can plan a small competition around that as well. I guarantee if 20 speed cubers showed up, we would get on the show, and the Rubik's Cube would be solved on the show as well.

UPDATE - you have to be 18 to go on the show.
I really like this idea, but I'm just wondering how you can guarantee both these things?

Or you going to talk to the producers beforehand?

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I recently turned 18 and live in SoCal. Where in SoCal will this be held though? It sounds like fun, but I'll have to hear more details about it. Ex. Date and time. I have a feeling that it's a slim chance I can go, but it is a maybe.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm so jealous, I wish I lived in Cali now!

ElectricDoodle, you could have deleted the rest of his post in your quote except for the part you put in bold :p

Tyson: If you feel like paying for more flights, you can pay for mine!

Samania

DO IT. I would totally record this.

And wiinnn... AAAA NEEEWWW CAAAAAAAAAARRRR!

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think if you bring a group of 20, one person is guaranteed to get on the show.

Do you have more information than on their tickets page? Cause that one just says a large group is guaranteed to get seats, but no guarantee to participate in the game.

Also, there can't really be a general guarantee. Imagine many big groups requesting tickets for the same date, with many more people than they have seats. Not everybody's going to get in then (or not all of them might get tickets in the first place).

Last edited:

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you schedule enough ahead of time, Stefan, you can get tickets. All you need to do is say "for what shows do you have 20 tickets available?" or something to that effect.

I'm guessing, Tyson, you're going try to work out a deal with the producers or something?

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
Oh, hmm, well, I'm not worried about one of us getting on the show. I'm very confident that if we went as a group, at least one of us would make it on the show. And I would probably ask when I called whether or not one of us from our group is guaranteed a spot on the show.

While I work out the details of this, are people interested in data mining? Stefan, any ideas on a centralized way to data mine, or should we all just use Google spreadsheets?