• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Cube Design Thread

Andrew Ricci

Anonymity is for Nubs
WCA
2010RICC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
honestly though, i think I might retract statement no. 2 (i'm kinda possesive) :). I want to send the parts only to those who are going to manufacture it :) sorry

Why? He just wants to see details on the individual pieces. You're a LONG way away from someone manufacturing it, you don't even have a working model. Don't turn down someone who wants to help you for no good reason.

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Off topic, but I live only half an hour away from you! Yaaay!

Oh! I'm feeling a meetup. legit.

funny you mentioned that
I noticed that when I was first designing the cube but there is nothing I can do about that as if I chamfered (made the holes bigger) it would decrease the contact between the pieces too much

thanks for the suggestion though, I will try to incorporate the rest of your suggestions though :)

PS
1. can somebody suggest a good name and brand name for the cube :)
2. does anybody have auto desk inventor because I could send you the parts to inspect
3. i just found out that the 3d printer uses resin but i looked at some other prints and they felt like really hard rough plastic :( not going to be good

The name isn't gonna be my thing...im terrible when it comes to creativity...
I don't have a desk inventor...
I think your best bet is to just watch some of drewseph's videos on youtube...and take a look at how he casts his pieces...personally, I'd recommend making a personal prototype and see if it's even worth manufacturing. In terms of testing, I'd be more than willing to test the puzzle and review it for you.

Naturally I'm willing to play a part in creating the thing too so I think it'd be more efficient to form a google doc or a closed facebook group for this. I'm willing to manage the ideas but as this is your original idea, let me know if you would prefer a google doc or a facebook group for it. I'll make whichever one you prefer and manage it for you as well. Friend me on facebook (my name is Sagar Laud) and we can get this group started. We can add interested people accordingly as well.

Why? He just wants to see details on the individual pieces. You're a LONG way away from someone manufacturing it, you don't even have a working model. Don't turn down someone who wants to help you for no good reason.

But I agree completely with theanonymouscuber. At this point, you really should be taking all the help you can get.

Last edited:

Ltsurge

i know ima nub :) i think i mentioned that It was a long way off earlier in the thread though. I do know it and besides there is a likely chance that this may amount to nothing. Besides the files are really big so I don't know how I would give it to him

mr. giggums

WCA
2011BERN02
i know ima nub :) i think i mentioned that It was a long way off earlier in the thread though. I do know it and besides there is a likely chance that this may amount to nothing. Besides the files are really big so I don't know how I would give it to him

I have seen http://www.ge.tt/ used to upload a library of 100+ inventor parts. Although I would understand if you don't share the parts with everyone else and/or myself I think that you have more to gain then lose.

aminayuko

@ itsurge: i would reccomend using plasic with tiny tiny dents so when you lube it, the lube will get into those dents therefore the lube will last longer and the cube will still turn fine, And make sure not to have too many manufacturing marks when the cube is ever manufactured, that might interfere with the quality.

MovingOnUp

WCA
2011UNKR01
By the way, does ANYONE know any good autodesk inventor tutorials (preferably 2012 proffesional) because the ones they provide, to be honest, are terrible.

Ltsurge

i'm back
had to go down to the Gold Coast for the weekend to visit my gma :(
I have no updates because the model is still at the printer's. I'm waiting for it to be printed so I can modify it. In the meantime I need names for the cube (and brand name). Oh and I need sombody to explain and show me (in pics) what an anchor is... imanub

I used inventor without any tutorials.. you just click and learn as you go. Extrude, sketch, extrude, sketch :) oh and make each part seperate and then assemble it

thats all for now

Oh and its LTsurge to you all not itsurge ...wtf

gundamslicer

YouTube
Visit Channel
i'm back
had to go down to the Gold Coast for the weekend to visit my gma :(
I have no updates because the model is still at the printer's. I'm waiting for it to be printed so I can modify it. In the meantime I need names for the cube (and brand name). Oh and I need sombody to explain and show me (in pics) what an anchor is... imanub

I used inventor without any tutorials.. you just click and learn as you go. Extrude, sketch, extrude, sketch :) oh and make each part seperate and then assemble it

thats all for now

Oh and its LTsurge to you all not itsurge ...wtf

Anchors: AKA t parts. found in the lunhui and zhanchi. Attached to the edge to prevent pops by makings the anchor hold onto the corner stalks.

For a name,
-omega cube AKA type O
-Cyclo cube
-Gamma cube AKA type G
-Zeta cube AKA type Z

Ltsurge

could I have a pic of anchors on the cube pieces
btw I would prefer if it had something to do with this forum ie Zeta (the brand) FDC I

gundamslicer

YouTube
Visit Channel
images

This is from pazuzu. It's in the lunhui right now

Last edited: