• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Syuhei's competition model (recent Kawasaki Open)

okayama

WCA
2009OKAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Syuhei has recently organized some WCA competitions at Kawasaki based on his new idea/concept:

• The main purpose is not to determine 1st/2nd/3rd, but to encourage cubers to break their WCA records, and to present workshops on speedcubing.
  • Every competitior who breaks (or ties) his/her WCA record gets an award certificate. His/her rank is not a matter.
  • One round only. All participants equally get a chance to set their official records.
  • Major events only. Want to encourage cubers to improve their times of major events.
  • The competition finishes around noon or early afternoon. The rest of the afternoon is spent to a workshop/lecture on speedcubing.
  • There were some themes in the workshops. Edge control during F2L, Ortega method, Yau method, BLD introduction, FMC tricks, mind frame, and so on. Syuhei believes that such face-to-face lectures (or hands-on seminars) are cost-effective than tutorials on the website.

It seems to achieve a level of success. Today's competition also got several newcommers and 1/3 competitors improved their WCA records.

Interesting idea/concept, and I just want to share it here.

Last edited:

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Syuhei has recently organized some WCA competitions at Kawasaki based on his new idea/concept:

• The main purpose is not to determine 1st/2nd/3rd, but to encourage cubers to break their WCA records, and to present workshops on speedcubing.
  • Every competitior who breaks (or ties) his/her WCA record gets an award certificate. His/her rank is not a matter.
  • One round only. All participants equally get a chance to set their official records.
  • Major events only. Want to encourage cubers to improve their times of major events.
  • The competition finishes around noon or early afternoon. The rest of the afternoon is spent to a workshop/lecture on speedcubing.
  • There were some themes in the workshops. Edge control during F2L, Ortega method, Yau method, BLD introduction, FMC tricks, mind frame, and so on. Syuhei believes that such face-to-face lectures (or hands-on seminars) are cost-effective than tutorials on the website.

It seems to achieve a level of success. Today's competition also got several newcommers and 1/3 competitors improved their WCA records.

This is indeed a very nice approach for educational purposes :)

WCA
2012PATE01

I really like the idea :). However very fast cubers (let's say Mats,Feliks, Kevin (Hays) and Kevin (CostelloIII)) need more than one round to break PB's and such which comes to the conclusion that new WR's will also be allot harder to break because of 1 round. Also everyone could make a messup and with that said and implying this idea everyone should deserve a seconds chance.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do like the idea of having workshops and encouraging breaking your own records above anything else, but as a side events guy I'm sad that only 'major' events are encouraged - what's the point of the WCA repertoire if it's just neglected? :p

I'd be interested to know if the number of people who improve their records is above average. I doubt it is, because most speedcubers are well driven enough and the time between competitions sufficient for at least one record to be broken per comp :)

I do like how the structure of the competition format has adapted to a more academic culture, though!

I really like the idea :). However very fast cubers (let's say Mats,Feliks, Kevin (Hays) and Kevin (CostelloIII)) need more than one round to break PB's and such which comes to the conclusion that new WR's will also be allot harder to break because of 1 round. Also everyone could make a messup and with that said and implying this idea everyone should deserve a seconds chance.

Remember that the regulations place a limit on the amount of people which can proceed to a second round - so by necessity not everyone gets a second chance - presumably why they don't offer it :)

Last edited:
WCA
2012PATE01
I do like the idea of having workshops and encouraging breaking your own records above anything else, but as a side events guy I'm sad that only 'major' events are encouraged - what's the point of the WCA repertoire if it's just neglected? :p

I'd be interested to know if the number of people who improve their records is above average. I doubt it is, because most speedcubers are well driven enough and the time between competitions sufficient for at least one record to be broken per comp :)

I do like how the structure of the competition format has adapted to a more academic culture, though!

Remember that the regulations place a limit on the amount of people which can proceed to a second round - so by necessity not everyone gets a second chance - presumably why they don't offer it :)

yes that is true but from what i understand this system is not meant to have all the same people win.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice ideas. Encouraging PB setting is good, but 95% of people break at least one PB each comp here, so the certificate pile would be kind of pointless :p

Workshops are great ideas, but to be honest, in the UK we would just get 100 people saying "Why isn't this event being held?" for all the events. They would rather have the chance to compete in more events and rounds than have workshops. Thus we've never had a workshop in the UK. In Japan don't people want more events rather than just the major ones?

andojay

WCA
2010javi01
I like the ideas. however one round isn't enough. Sometimes people have a bad start to their AO5.
In Australia, we have 'Most Improved' at Australian Nationals based on the averages from now to last year's competition.

Workshops sound cool. Perhaps have them on a weekly basis (or something) leading up to competition.

okayama

WCA
2009OKAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In Japan don't people want more events rather than just the major ones?
I think surely there exist people who want other events instead of workshops.
I also want FMC, haha. :rolleyes:
If all competitions in Japan will become Kawasaki-like, definitely such people vent their frustration, including me.

Syuhei's competition is just one of competitions held in Japan, and I (and maybe other Japanese cubers) think it's all right to hold such competitions once or twice a year.

I think Syuhei's purpose is not to make everyone happy, but mainly to raise the level of beginning~intermediate cubers and encourage/motivate them.

EDIT:
In Australia, we have 'Most Improved' at Australian Nationals based on the averages from now to last year's competition.
I think this is also an interesting idea, to be shared here. :)

Last edited:

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Well, if such a competition gets organised in Europe please tell me so that I can avoid it.
Sorry, but I much prefer having more events than workshops I will probably not care about (since I assume they will also only speak about major methods).

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, if such a competition gets organised in Europe please tell me so that I can avoid it.
Sorry, but I much prefer having more events than workshops I will probably not care about (since I assume they will also only speak about major methods).

As stated above, this is targeting beginners not people like you with lots of experience.

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
This setup could be an option for my competition in November. I have an extra room available, which could be used for workshops.